The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka

Digital Foundry, the YouTube channel known for their in depth analysis videos on performance and gaming across all kinds hardware, has finally fully tested the new Nintendo Switch unit to see what has changed in a practical sense. To recap, the new unit basically has new processor that is more power efficient, which claims to yield better battery life overall when compared to the older Switch units.

The video is worth the watch, but to summarize:
1. The New Processor is indeed much more power efficient than the older models, by around 40-50%. (Tested by checking the power draw from the wall socket)
chrome_2019-08-22_19-45-04.jpg

2. The New Switch model gets approximately 5.03 hours, while the Old Switch model gets approximately 3.06 hours when playing Zelda BoTW. (Tested by simulating joycon drift on both systems; an adequate test as the Switch has to keep rendering the scenes constantly)

chrome_2019-08-22_20-02-02.png

3. There seems to be a weird red tint on the New Switch model's display, at least with the unit (HK model) Digital Foundry received.
chrome_2019-08-22_19-47-26.jpg

According to @Scarlet, this is an issue with even old Switch units, so take this with a grain of salt.

4. Thermals are almost identical, the newer model just is about 2 or 3 degrees cooler, which is around the margin of error.

5. Surprisingly, there is a very slight performance upgrade on the newer model, though Nintendo denied any such performance upgrade. Consistently tested, it was ever so slightly smoother than the original Switch, though arguably, in real world application, undetectable. However, when tested in the infamous Korok Forest, the new Switch model indeed is noticeably better, as it sticks to 30fps more so than the older model, which dips to 20fps. So that is very much "detectable" in this case.

chrome_2019-08-22_19-55-05.png

In conclusion, it is not recommended to spend $300 plus possible taxes or shipping to get the newer model, though if you have the money, there are a few points here that can persuade you for an upgrade. If you don't have a Switch and either doubt there would be Pro model in the future, or don't feel like waiting for one, the newer Mariko model is a no brainer to go for. Just note that this Switch model is currently not "hackable" for the general public as of writing.

Last edited by Jiehfeng, , Reason: formatting
Reactions: NoNAND

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For what it's worth, the screen thing isn't new. I was talking with @Chary about my two systems and one is clearly tinted, and both are old non-patched models. I am kinda curious what they changed.

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
For what it's worth, the screen thing isn't new. I was talking with @Chary about my two systems and one is clearly tinted, and both are old non-patched models. I am kinda curious what they changed.

I see, I updated the OP. But there is still a possibility that all the new units have this tint, hopefully it isn't.

Reactions: Scarlet

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see, I updated the OP. But there is still a possibility that all the new units have this tint, hopefully it isn't.
I don't mind it to be honest. The warmer screen is definitely easier to look at, and when it's on max brightness there doesn't seem to be much in it. For a handheld screen, it doesn't seem a terrible thing.

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I don't mind it to be honest. The warmer screen is definitely easier to look at, and when it's on max brightness there doesn't seem to be much in it. For a handheld screen, it doesn't seem a terrible thing.

Well it certainly isn't enough to warrant a replacement, but personally I would be disappointed. I'm a sucker for the tiny details. :P

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah there is at least 2 revisions of the screen on the old switches, that have a slightly different pinout on the backlight it would appear, this has been the same as with the 3DS there has always been slight variations in screen colours, probably just due to calibration of the panels, slightly different screen revisions or even just different batches of the exact same panels, i think people are often just a bit quick to jump on screen differences between revisions as "part of the revision" because side by side they look different than their old one, it could also just be a case of comparing a well used screen to a fresh from the box screen

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yeah there is at least 2 revisions of the screen on the old switches, that have a slightly different pinout on the backlight it would appear, this has been the same as with the 3DS there has always been slight variations in screen colours, probably just due to calibration of the panels, slightly different screen revisions or even just different batches of the exact same panels, i think people are often just a bit quick to jump on screen differences between revisions as "part of the revision" because side by side they look different than their old one, it could also just be a case of comparing a well used screen to a fresh from the box screen
Oh actually they are different kinds of screen. Shortly after writing it, SciresM had a thread on Twitter about it lol

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I hope they bring out a switch pro.
Same here. Here's hoping that the switch pro will have a decent 7-8nm SoC and CPU, a longer lasting battery, brighter screen with FHD+, better joycons and a better design in general. One that doesn't crack, bend or fall apart after extensive playtime sessions, least said.
But I'm being too greedy.

Reactions: KiiWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.