[Latest Kernel Exploit] Can we load games from an external HDD ?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by ethamcox, May 8, 2016.

1. ethamcox
    OP

ethamcox Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2016
    France
    Hello,

This question might have been answered 100times yet didnt find anything.

So, title says it all. Since I don't have any huge sd card I was wondering if I could load games from a HDD using loadiine or any other game launcher homebrew.

Tyvm

2. Zanoab

Zanoab GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2009
    United States
    No

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Apps don't have direct access to USB AFAIK so an IOSU exploit is needed for USB loading.

4. TamDanny

TamDanny GBATemp 3DS Fanatic

Aug 20, 2015
    Mexico
    I'm also curious about this as well. I have a 500GB external hard drive just sitting there, and I was planning to attempt using it on the Wii U when the exploit comes out (not in the form of a leak, though :/).
    As for as I know, it's impossible since hard drives are prompted to be formatted when connected to the console, and I think Loadiine can only read the SD Card slot at the moment. I'm not sure if any advancements were made for this, but I guess that in some time in the future, a CFW (emuNAND or redNAND, not much of a difference) might just allow this.

5. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Right now the general consensus is that you need IOSU access in order to look at USB drives.
    (although research is happening that might make it possible with kernel, but I don't know anything about that.)