1. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

United Kingdom
    I'm now watching The Young Offenders. I have seen this film numerous times and still love it. Its based on a real life event

Two teenage boys from Cork steal bicycles and ride off on a quest to find a missing bale of cocaine worth 7,000,000 euros. All sorts of crazy stuff happen to them along the way.

The_Young_Offenders_poster.png

Last edited by AmandaRose, May 12, 2020
    alexander1970 likes this.
  2. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Comoros
    Citizen Kane

alexander1970 and AmandaRose like this.
  3. alexander1970

alexander1970 Wuff Wuff

Austria
    AmandaRose likes this.
  4. arjunpatel

arjunpatel Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    [​IMG]

a damn fine move its forgotten thanks to the first one and the terrible sequel the heretic , it stands on its own i recommend the DC cut of the movie but the theatrical version aint bad either here's a scene

5. JFizDaWiz

JFizDaWiz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Return of the Jedi even though i turned it off almost half way through:
    teddy bears fight in space, sister finds out shes been kissing her brother
    father and son have an arguments on how to take over the family business

6. WilliamDougherty

Newcomer

United States
    I love Trier's movies, I watched his next masterpiece yesterday.

[​IMG]

Last edited by WilliamDougherty, May 18, 2020
  7. alexander1970

alexander1970 Wuff Wuff

Austria
  8. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

United States
    SCOOB!

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Proximity (2020)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8718300/
    VFX artist who did a few shorts decides to write and direct a feature. I like to watch such things from time to time as they can have something actually to them. Not today.
    Also seems I was not on the other regular in this thread to watch a religious film, though my choice was a out of nowhere* surprise plot twist (the aliens abduct people to learn about a mysterious figure from earth history, turns out it is Jesus they were looking for all along, they say "thanks mate we didn't know, let's go home" despite understanding English at least and been doing it for decades, and I really wish I was kidding).
    Prior to that it was nice visual effects, pretty well shot and at least a stab at characterisation in alien abductee unwittingly invites the attention of shady international agency type affair. Absolutely by the numbers and forgettable but I was content to "started so I will finish" at least.
    Armchair general also wants to have a word with the shady agency. You have tracking devices (now disabled) on three civilians with no survival/military/relevant training or observed skills and are a hour behind them at worst. Nope wait a few days. No checking last signal location, sat feeds (which would clearly show a house in the woods) or whatever.
    Science boy was having a reasonable time too at first but it got a bit silly towards the end.

*seriously. I am usually pretty attuned to religious pandering in films, especially American ones. I saw nothing of the sort beforehand that would have been leading to a reveal like that. I don't know if it was some form of funding obligation or what.

10. AmandaRose

United Kingdom
    I'm watching the most famous film made in Scotland that is not called Braveheart or Trainspotting. Gregory's Girl is part soccer film part love story part comedy. The film is about Gregory who plays in his school soccer team. The team are awful and the school decides to get new players for the team. They end up recruiting an awesome new striker for the team the only problem is that its a girl called Dorothy. Gregory immediately falls head over heals in love with Dorothy and all sorts of funny shit then happens.

A Classic film I have seen many times and still love. Just don't watch the terrible follow up film.

gregory.jpg

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    That looks like a near terminal case of late 70s/early 80s hair there.

Anyway
    21 Bridges (2019)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8688634/

Probably would have been a below average episode of the Shield or an above average episode of something like Blue Bloods. This however is a solid little police film, the sorts of which I can't name too many recent equivalents for. Detective, who actually does some detecting in this, with a reputation for being a trigger puller gets roped in to hunt down some seriously wanted criminals but does not have much time to do it in.
    If you want a proper kick em up film (though this one certainly has its moments, and the restraint it shows actually makes what is there somewhat more poignant) along sort of similar lines then I would suggest Jason Statham's Safe instead. If you have never seen Serpico then definitely do that before this.
    Director had some of the more notable early episodes of Game of Thrones and apparently the first two episodes of Luther (only ones I have seen, but they were not bad at all). This is his first American feature (TV film and a UK one beforehand) and I am actually impressed.
    Unless one of the actors or director pops (box office return on this says unlikely to be given the helm of anything truly huge, though if it is all as tight as this and his other stuff then something else might be a surprise hit) I will not be surprised to find few remember this in 10 years but that would actually be a shame.

12. AmandaRose

United Kingdom
    You are correct 1981 to be exact.

13. JuanMena

OP JuanMena WARNING: I make bad jokes all the time.

Mexico
    Man, I think it's been over a month since I last saw something.
    Yesterday Papa and I went for some Little Caesar's Pizzas, and we just ate them while watching this movie:

[​IMG]

Ethan Hunt has to overcome the challenge of accomplishing difficult missions when the entire FMI has been dissolved.

Side note: He tells me that he had never seen a Mission Impossible movie before... and I thought about playing the first one... but I really wanted to see Lea Seydoux on the TV :wub:
    At the end...Papa said: "Pinches payasadas" which translate to: "The situations are a little too exagerated"
    ¬_¬​

Last edited by JuanMena, May 18, 2020
  14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Still knocking out these films
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7131622/
    I do like Quentin Tarantino films (as a general rule my friends and I might differ considerably on films we like or don't like but we all like his stuff) and while this will probably not rank among his best (nothing particularly iconic or quotable really) I still had a great time. Good sets (it is a late 60s throwback and done really really well, though as a lot of it was practical that is not unsurprising), nice dialogue (though perhaps not as tight as some, or at least not as quotable/memorable which is not bad in an of itself but for someone that has previously shown they do enjoy a bit of it...), well shot/edited and some nice violence. What I like to see in a film and, as mentioned, had a great time with it (better part of 3 hours there, did not feel like it at all). I have no particular fondness for 1960s/1970s America (my grandparents and parents experienced it, not me) nor that time in film either, and while the end of an era parallels are probably supposed to say something then eh really, so that it rose above that one says something at least.

Prisoners (2013)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392214/

Would have been a somewhat above average episode of criminal minds but actually was quite an impressive film about a kidnapping and subsequent investigation. Go in cold. Would possibly have made for a better TV show, though I am not sure I trust any TV companies these days to not string it out needlessly. Seems the same director did Sicario and is handling the upcoming Dune which I did not realise before about 10 seconds ago as I clicked around IMDB. Guess he did well in his later films.

15. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    I feel bad. I've neglected this thread for too long, and during a period where I've been watching a lot of great films.
    There's been way too many for me to remember all of them, but I'll mention a few stand-outs...
    I've been predominantly watching French movies; many of which I've seen before, and a few were new to me...

My favourite discoveries were the films of Bertrand Bonello, particularly L'Apollonide (Souvenirs de la maison close) aka, House of Tolerance, and Nocturama.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I rewatched an old favourite, Bertrand Blier's Buffet Froid... a real gem of a movie!
    [​IMG]

I'd like to list all the other classics of French cinema I've seen recently, but it would take me hours just to remember them all, let alone devote enough time to adequately review them :)

16. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

JuanMena and alexander1970 like this.
  17. alexander1970

alexander1970 Wuff Wuff

Austria
  18. AmandaRose

United Kingdom
    download.jpeg.jpg

Did not think I would enjoy this movie but it was actually rather funny. Especially the bit Dora starts hallucinating and she starts seeing everyone in cartoon form. The movie was one giant piss take of the cartoon.

19. alexander1970

alexander1970 Wuff Wuff

Austria
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Movie,