Last Chance for Sourceflow. "100% Useless" - WiiFlow Dev

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by spacepimp, Aug 23, 2013.

1. spacepimp
    OP

spacepimp Pathalogical Fantasist

Feb 20, 2012
    Off the Island
    retort thought up in another context several days after conversation:
    "Well, to answer your question, I think it's worth it because I use Wiiflow for the scenery and the source menu is like a billboard."

EDIT: Sourceflow is HERE!!!!!! - Everything you need is in Abz's link below -

I'm just going to reproduce Abz's last post on the matter...

WiiFlow r1004 with alternate wait animation (mine ;) )

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Definition of Sourceflow and a Draft Specification:

OP:

I'll add some thoughts on why I think a sourceflow is a good idea, but do you love it or hate it?

2. guinness

guinness GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2008
    UK
    I use the current source menu, and when you first started pushing for sourceflow I was all for it. However since then, I have thought about it, and I think I prefer the source menu as it is. After all, it's a Wii, and the source menu kind of makes it looks like a fancy Wii menu.

I personally much prefer being able to select the system I want from a simple(ish) menu, and then see the lovely flows for the games. The kids know where to find what they want in the source menu, and thanks to Maxternal and his source menu editor, I can set it all up exactly how I like it.

So in summary, no I don't think it's a good idea, and (only my personal opinion) I think you should give up on it.

spacepimp likes this.
  3. spacepimp
    OP

Feb 20, 2012
    Off the Island
    Irrelevant but amusing exposure of guinness being a bit...sly:
    EDIT: Please see MassiveRican's refinement below.
    Sourceflow's Last Gasp:

Proposed mechanism for how sourceflow might work and the case for bothering to code it.
    A.K.A. Me, Begging ;)
    Actually, I'd prefer 'Strongly arguing the case for' or 'Pleading for Sanity' instead of 'Begging', but if it walks like a Duck...

MassiveRican and macmanhigh like this.
  4. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    you probably could copy paste most of the code. i'm no programmer, but i'd assume you would change the source menu code with a coverflow code.

i don't see how it would be any better than what we have, but meh i wish you good luck!

5. macmanhigh

macmanhigh THC = Truly High Caliber

Banned
    Mar 29, 2012
    United States
    BuddsVille,CA
    I got my fingers crossed this always sounded like an awesome idea :)

spacepimp likes this.
  6. AbdallahTerro

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    Ideas factory :)
    Maybe in Wiiflow 5

spacepimp likes this.
  7. spacepimp
    OP

Feb 20, 2012
    Off the Island
    not 4.5 !?!?!!
    ;)

I'm really interested in asking why you think it would not be any better than what we have? Could you expand on that?

The question of developer priorities has been raised on the main thread. i.e. That there's always plenty to do, and there are more important jobs out there.
    I'd just like to add this:

I understand that there are always going to be priorities that have to be decided upon, and people are always going to have different priorities but - would point out that I have been pushing for this for over a year, and a lot of wiiflow development has passed in that time. This not about an optional fancy finish, a cherry on the top - this is about the source menu catching up with the rest of wiiflow and finally, seamlessly, fitting in.
    EDIT: I would again repeat : The completed Wiiflow (main) next revision must take priority, and will only serve as a more stable and useful comparison for the sourceflow mod.

8. drakorex

drakorex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    I can understand how Source Flow would be aesthetically pleasing, but I can also understand how unless the coverflow is a grid, that it would take longer to find the source you want.

9. spacepimp
    OP

Feb 20, 2012
    Off the Island
    That's true of sources, but then it's also true of games - why have a coverflow at all? I would also point out that coverflows have other advantages, in that you can display many more titles per page (coverflows go up to what, 7x5?) and you also have letter quick-scrolling.
    Still, a valid point, thanks.

10. MassiveRican

MassiveRican GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante

Aug 2, 2011
    Creeping in the Shadows
    This has always been an aesthetically pleasing idea, you already hit all the positive points on why this would be cool, I'll give a bit more perspective on how this could be implemented if the devs feel like tackling it on, and what could be done with SourceFlow to please users with many plugins like myself, or simplify the vision.

For someone like myself and Abz for example that have many plugins (6 pages at 12 plugins each) it can feel like a step backward having to scroll through 72+ covers to find the source you want, so I offer some ideas:
    • One proposed solution would be to somehow implement a favorites system which would allow to show your most often used plugins, turn favorites off and all the plugins can be seen.
    • **Drakorex brought up a great point and an awesome comment "Unless the coverflow is a grid". IMHO, I think there is a way to please current Source Menu users with a SourceFlow and not make things more difficult with a favorites plugin system. Make the SourceFlow home screen in smallbox view like Homebrew with a grid view of 8 - 12 plugins per page, not only would it still be 3D but most of the current SM icons could probably be used once tweaked. Now I know Drakorex is very skilled at coverflows and is possible he could make that flow a reality.**
    • Lastly WiiFlow has always been about options, about molding itself to the needs and styles of many. So why not keep both the Source Menu and SourceFlow, easily turn it on/off with an .ini option or as a config option within WiiFlow itself. This offers another alternative where you can keep a Source Menu with many plugins (more advanced) and a SourceFlow with just a few covers (simplified for kids or favorite plugins in a sense).
    You have a huge passion for this spacepimp obviously seen by your never give up attitude, and it shows that you love WiiFlow as much as anyone else.

P.S. To all users let's remeber to donate, not saying this will help chances of making this a reality, but at the very least it shows our willingness to help in contributing to the team, and besides devs can use all the support they can get and it shows we appreciate their time and effort spent on this project when they themselves have little time for it.

spacepimp and brausm08 like this.
  11. spacepimp
    OP

Feb 20, 2012
    Off the Island
    +1
    I applaud you, sir.

BTW, I just thought up a pithy response to "100% useless, why bother?"
    "Well, to answer your question, I think it's worth it because I use Wiiflow for the scenery and the source menu is like a billboard."
    I kill me ;)

12. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY

its not any better in a sense of what it accomplishes. maybe on the technical side it will be better, but the menu has a sole purpose...pick what plugin you'd like to jump to. regardless if its flow, icons, text it still accomplishes the same goal.

go to source list, choose the plugin, go to that plugin. i don't use it really so maybe that's why i don't think much of it.

again either way, i'll take features! and best wishes for what you are hoping to accomplish!

13. spacepimp
    OP

Feb 20, 2012
    Off the Island
    Functionally, it will be no better than a text readout of the available sources, that is correct.
    I see your point, thanks for responding.
    n.b. the sourceflow barrage will end shortly, and indefinitely. Thank you for your patience.

just waiting on fix's reply. night night!

14. FIX94

FIX94 Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Dec 3, 2009
    Germany
    ???
    As you might did notice wiiflow has a TON of issues at the moment most likely because of the new features added, thats why there is no 4.2 still :/
    A new feature request yet again is a really hard thing to do... also I do have some kinda bigger real life issues at the moment thats a reason why I cant just keep adding and fixing all day on wiiflow, you know my work is kinda for free, I dont want to change that at all so things might take long. Not sure how long I can keep working on stuff anyways cause the current situation in wiiflow and in real life is quite critical to be honest :(

15. MassiveRican

MassiveRican GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante

Aug 2, 2011
    Creeping in the Shadows
    Funny u mention 4.2 cuz with everything that's been added latetely, WAD Installer, Auto MIOS install, File Explorer, Path Manager, etc, etc.. that we should definitely be at the very least 4.2 if not 4.3 lol.

BTW fix I don't think it matters how long it might take to do a demo, obviously bug fixes come first, with a release of 4.2 if a sourceflow is even considered I think it'll be enough to sate spacepimp's hunger lol.

16. spacepimp
    OP

Feb 20, 2012
    Off the Island
    Once again, absolutely bang on, I really should start taking notes!
    He's right - that would be enough!
    It's fair to point out here that the sourceflow has been developed as a concept for over a year.

FIX94
    Thanks for the reply, and more importantly, thanks for all the time and effort you spend on WiiFlow. I completely understand your situation, having a life is INFINITELY more important than working on WiiFlow, of course :D. I hope you have appreciated my encouragement to take time out and relax in the past.

You encouraged me to start this thread by saying that if I made a post clearly outlining the mechanism for how source flow would work, you would read it, comment on the feasibility of the idea, and consider it for inclusion.
    I have written the post, could I have your response?
    Thanks

p.s. All the sourceflow 'noise' is about giving wiiflow users the opportunity to show they are interested, and the idea has merit, and that it is not "100% useless", regardless of your perception of me, or the fact that you don't use the sourcemenu.
    EDIT: I just want to make it clear that I don't expect you to make a decision on actually coding the demo now, but if you could say whether or not you will consider putting 1 or 2 hours towards this after the next stable version is released, I would appreciate that.
    EDIT:Some kind of word would allow the users who want to contribute towards coverflows, categories, covers, themes etc. to start work.
    Thanks again

17. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Oh gawd, spacepimp. There's an EDIT BUTTON. And you use THAT to add more stuff to your posts, NOT _quintuple-posting_ straight in a row.

mercluke, MassiveRican and spacepimp like this.
  18. spacepimp
    OP

Feb 20, 2012
    Off the Island
    Straight in a row? Whoops, i thought if the subject was different it was ok to leave things in separate posts, i'm sure I've seen others do it?!!?!?
    Sorry

19. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    If you're in the same thread (which is the "subject"), it's all about the same subject :P

Others might do it when it's useful (like developers needing to bump the thread to highlight a new version of their stuff, translators posting progress) or to require attention (translators needing more betatesters).

The rest of the time, you have to add it via EDIT :P

spacepimp likes this.
  20. spacepimp
    OP

Feb 20, 2012
    Off the Island
    Sorry, I'm kind of a impulsive, strike while the idea is hot -kind of guy. I'll be more careful. thankyou! :)

raulpica likes this.