Homebrew Large NeoGeo games support and CPS3 tests

xaviersaverio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Isn't the .nv file interchangeable between cores? Or maybe, you could set the dip settings in the PC version and then move it to the Wii retroarch folder.

CPS-1/CPS-2 dip settings have not being available for me in those cores, at least on the Wii, only on main FBA core (i only tried once), as far as i can remember.

I tried to use the files generated by MAME on Windows in the NV folder and put them in RetroArch as xxxxx.nv files together with the roms but it didn't work. I must be missing something.

xaviersaverio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I found a workaround to address CPS1 games not saving input remaps: I copy/pasted an input remap file from a CPS2 game (Marvel vs. Capcom) and used it for the CPS1 game I wanted to change the controls of (Street Fighter II). It worked fine.

About CPS1 or CPS2 games not saving their configuration when changed in the Diagnostics page (number of coins needed, difficulty, attract sound...) I still have no clue...

Last edited by xaviersaverio,

TheManHimself

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey great work Wiimpathy, my consolized MVS is on the fritz and your work has let me keep up fight night until i can get the thing fixed.

I've had one problem since i updated to the v5 release of the Neo Geo core. I get massive slowdown (like 2 FPS) in Garou: Mark of the Wolves in B Jenet's and Gato's stage that wasn't present in the v4 release.

Reactions: LumInvader

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey great work Wiimpathy, my consolized MVS is on the fritz and your work has let me keep up fight night until i can get the thing fixed.

I've had one problem since i updated to the v5 release of the Neo Geo core. I get massive slowdown (like 2 FPS) in Garou: Mark of the Wolves in B Jenet's and Gato's stage that wasn't present in the v4 release.
Thanks for letting me know about this bug. This one should fix the slowdowns :

FBA-VM_R6

- Increase memory cache to 512*KB for the largest games. Fixed slowdowns in some Garou's stages. Not sure about other games, tests are welcome!
- Still compiled with Retroarch from january 2019 (commit 26ea9d9).

Last edited by Wiimpathy,

TheManHimself

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

[a link I can't have in a reply since I am new]

- Increase memory cache to 512*KB for the largest games. Fixed slowdowns in some Garou's stages. Not sure about other games, tests are welcome!

Awesome! I did some more testing for the v5 release and found that the underwater path in the first stage of Metal Slug 3 has the same problem. I'll see how it goes in the new build in a bit. It seems like it has the same problem as the other two, so I'm assuming it should be fixed as well.

xaviersaverio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks a lot Wiimpathy for following up on your awesome work.
I'll test your R6 as I noticed in R5 that the player character in KOF98 could sometimes go off screen.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Wiimpathy so when the dol is launched you still need to tell it the normal (unconverted) zip file. but instead of launching the rom zip it will take the name and find the cache folder in system/cache and launch that? correct?

so when i make a wiiflow plugin. filetypes can still be .zip? and be in a regular rom folder (roms/neogeo_vm). as long as they are converted and put in the cache folder first?

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

FBA-VM_R6

You're the best. Thanks for your updates.

rafaelsb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It used to save the current resolution with Overrides->Save Game Overrides. But it's not saving that option anymore so you must edit the files manually. Sigh...

Here's a workaround. You'll find 2 folders in the attached Zip.
- CRC_224 : 608*224 & 640*224
- LCD_448 : 608*448 & 640*448

Copy one of this folder's content in /retroarch/FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo. You have to create the 'FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo' folder if doesn't exist.
It contains resolutions overrides for most NeoGeo games. If you want to modify the option current_resolution_id. Here's what the number means, look here : https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/blob/master/gfx/drivers/gx_gfx.c#L172
For example 608*224 is # 9.

Whats up, Wiimpathy. Fisrt of all, thanks for the amazing job you've been doing. I tried doing as you said, copied the contents of the CRC_224 folder to FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo and it didn't worked for me, however i dont utilize the retroarch folder for this Neo Geo emulator, i use it as a standalone app, and to avoid conflict with the full retroarch emulator and its folder. Do i need to change something on directory settings or i really need the retroarch folder?

My folders are like this:

neogeomod(on root instead of 'retroarch') -> FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo -> CRC224 content

Last edited by rafaelsb,

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats up, Wiimpathy. Fisrt of all, thanks for the amazing job you've been doing. I tried doing as you said, copied the contents of the CRC_224 folder to FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo and it didn't worked for me, however i dont utilize the retroarch folder for this Neo Geo emulator, i use it as a standalone app, and to avoid conflict with the full retroarch emulator and its folder. Do i need to change something on directory settings or i really need the retroarch folder?

My folders are like this:

neogeomod(on root instead of 'retroarch') -> FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo -> CRC224 content
You really should create a separate retroarch folder in root just to see if it works or not.

retroarch -> FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo -> .cfg files

Also, for those who don't know, you can save your remapped controller settings with the same technique:

retroarch -> remaps -> MAME 2000 -> .rmp files

rafaelsb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You really should create a separate retroarch folder in root just to see if it works or not.

retroarch -> FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo -> .cfg files

Also, for those who don't know, you can save your remapped controller settings with the same technique:

retroarch -> remaps -> MAME 2000 -> .rmp files

It worked with the retroarch folder, but i wanted to know if its possible to change the directory of the folder that contains the .cfg files. Lets say that i want to do the same with a snes emulator, on what folder should i place the .cfg files??

retroarch -> ???(snes folder) -> .cfg files

Thanks for the remap tip, didnt knew about that.

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It worked with the retroarch folder, but i wanted to know if its possible to change the directory of the folder that contains the .cfg files. Lets say that i want to do the same with a snes emulator, on what folder should i place the .cfg files??

Np. I don't have the answer to splitting retroarch between multiple folders as I wasn't successful back when I tried it myself. If you're worried about deleting the retroarch folder accidentally, you could literally copy all your .cfg files to both retroarch folders as they don't take up much space. One for daily use and the other as a backup. It's not optimal having both emulators sharing the same folders, but it's not like they'll interfere with the functionality of either emulator.

Another tip: In Retroarch 1.7.6, you can replace that ugly green\black background with something less depressing. I run the red, white, and blue color scheme, which looks nice with the red color functioning as a highly visible border box for centering the screen on my CRT.

Reactions: rafaelsb

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France

What you can do to avoid conflict is to change which default .cfg file is used.
With an hex editor, open the dol and search 'retroarch.cfg', it should be the first occurence. Change it to another name with the same length, 'neogeomod.cfg' for example.

You could also try to locate 'retroarch' only in the dol to change the default directory. But while the .cfg trick works without issues, this one isn't guaranteed.

SKATERR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It used to save the current resolution with Overrides->Save Game Overrides. But it's not saving that option anymore so you must edit the files manually. Sigh...

Here's a workaround. You'll find 2 folders in the attached Zip.
- CRC_224 : 608*224 & 640*224
- LCD_448 : 608*448 & 640*448

Copy one of this folder's content in /retroarch/FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo. You have to create the 'FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo' folder if doesn't exist.
It contains resolutions overrides for most NeoGeo games. If you want to modify the option current_resolution_id. Here's what the number means, look here :
For example 608*224 is # 9.

Hello!

Thank you very much Wiimpathy for sharing the folder with the custom resolutions, you have solved my problem!. Do you also have the cfg files for the Mame´s rom? each rom has a different resolution :(

Thank you for your work!

Valken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I noticed that in some games that require cache files, the audio sometimes stutters. For instance, in the underwater part of metal slug 3 first level (when the big fish come out from its hole and a lot of jellyfish are on the screen), music skips for few seconds.
I don't know if it's a software issue (and in this case if it's possible to fix it) or if the problem could be related to my sd card read speed...

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello!

Thank you very much Wiimpathy for sharing the folder with the custom resolutions, you have solved my problem!. Do you also have the cfg files for the Mame´s rom? each rom has a different resolution :(

Thank you for your work!
Give a me few days I'll try to post some packs for Mame.

I noticed that in some games that require cache files, the audio sometimes stutters. For instance, in the underwater part of metal slug 3 first level (when the big fish come out from its hole and a lot of jellyfish are on the screen), music skips for few seconds.
I don't know if it's a software issue (and in this case if it's possible to fix it) or if the problem could be related to my sd card read speed...
The stutters may be due to the nand being a bit slow(and ram pretty full) and the sd card may not improve this either. I don't think it's something I can improve.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill