Hacking Discussion large files, NSZ and fat32

logandzwon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have some large NSPs. To fit them onto a FAT32 I've split them. Most other NSP I've covered to NSZs.
Is there anyway yet to created split nsz ?
How do you guys keep your libraries organized? NSP,NSZ,splitNSP?

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no need to split the files, use Tinfoil + NUT over USB or just install them over USB MTP with Tinfoil. No need to split.

logandzwon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no need to split the files, use Tinfoil + NUT over USB or just install them over USB MTP with Tinfoil. No need to split.

That is a lot of hassle. Much easier to just hook the external USB disk up to the switch and load them from there.

logandzwon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No such thing as a split NSP, only a split file. Any file can be split on the switch. TLDR: concerting itmto nsp just to split it is stupid.

I didn’t quite understand what you meant, but now I do. The switch will treat any folder with the archive bit set as a split file.

I also finally figured out why I could not get USB MTM working. In addition to all the python modules, I also needed to do a “brew install libusb”. Apparently python’s pyusb uses it as it’s backend. Might I suggest adding that to the Mac section of the readme for NUT?

Anyway, thank you for Tinfoil and NUT!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No... It really isn't. Literally just start nut server, plug in a USB cable to your Switch and all your games show up in Tinfoil.
The thing is, then I have to take out the computer, plug it in, turn it on, log in, plug in the HD, find the right cable, start NUT, make sure it seeing the games in the right path, stand around and supervise, etc.... VS just leaving the drive connected to the dock and having the kids plug their switches in there and self-service.

I suppose I should containerize NUT, run it on my NAS, and let them just download over network... it’s just so slow that way though.

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose I should containerize NUT, run it on my NAS, and let them just download over network... it’s just so slow that way though.

Network install isnt so bad with NSZ. The average NSZ compression ratio is 0.6 (40% smaller). Which means on average if your wifi nas can do 15 MB/sec, it will install at 25MB/sec (on average) which is faster than goldleaf does USB installs.

25 MB/sec is fast enough for me to not want to mess with a PC.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I didn’t quite understand what you meant, but now I do. The switch will treat any folder with the archive bit set as a split file.

I also finally figured out why I could not get USB MTM working. In addition to all the python modules, I also needed to do a “brew install libusb”. Apparently python’s pyusb uses it as it’s backend. Might I suggest adding that to the Mac section of the readme for NUT?

Anyway, thank you for Tinfoil and NUT!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The thing is, then I have to take out the computer, plug it in, turn it on, log in, plug in the HD, find the right cable, start NUT, make sure it seeing the games in the right path, stand around and supervise, etc.... VS just leaving the drive connected to the dock and having the kids plug their switches in there and self-service.

You just set up the path once. And wtf, your computer isn't already on? :P You can leave the drive plugged in there just the same.
You can even leave Nut server running, and connect to it wirelessly, and it would be as simple as just starting Tinfoil and have all the NSPs show up any time you're at home. But the install speed is about half that of USB in my experience (with fast wifi) but not too bad if you're just installing 1-2 games.

logandzwon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just set up the path once. And wtf, your computer isn't already on? :P You can leave the drive plugged in there just the same.
You can even leave Nut server running, and connect to it wirelessly, and it would be as simple as just starting Tinfoil and have all the NSPs show up any time you're at home. But the install speed is about half that of USB in my experience (with fast wifi) but not too bad if you're just installing 1-2 games.

I don't have a desktop. (Well, I do, but it is in storage and it is a gaming rig.) So other than the NAS, no I don't have anything computers anywhere just stay running 24/7.

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't have a desktop. (Well, I do, but it is in storage and it is a gaming rig.) So other than the NAS, no I don't have anything computers anywhere just stay running 24/7.

your pc just needs to stay on to access the games and install them to the switch. but only do this on emunand as this will get you ban if u go online

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-