Gaming Laptop won't boot correctly.

Zonix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hello. My brother just got a new laptop for himself after his old laptop started to act up.
I have it in my possession now and when I try to boot the laptop. It's ok until after the XP loading screen thing then the screen goes black with like only one pixel showing a bit of color.

I've tried to reinstall Windows but the CD won't boot :/

Anyone know why this is happening?

Help is really appreciated.

Zonix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tj_cool said:
Do it make a sound on the black screen?
If thats the case it might be the grapics card.

I don't think it does, I'm not sure because I don't know if the volume is off or on.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
what brand is that laptop? at least on asus laptops you can choose where to boot from by pressing escape on startup

geedub

Trophies
XP
Country
like tj asked can you boot to safe mode

im also thinking RAM ?

maybe try booting with one stick at a time ! if it boots you could well have a duff stick

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you burn a copy of window.. some backup didnt have boot. So you might need boot files or download one that come with boot already in it.

Zonix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raki said:
what brand is that laptop? at least on asus laptops you can choose where to boot from by pressing escape on startup
It is a "Acer TravelMate 270" laptop and I have gone into the BIOS and changed the where to boot from but doesn't work :/

tj_cool said:
Or safe mode (F8)
I tried that but I just get an error.

The error I get is this one:

Code:
lsass.exe - System Error
Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning. Error Status: 0xc0000001. Please click OK to shutdown this system and reboot into Safe Mode, check the event log for more detailed information.

After I click OK the computer reboots and after the XP loading screen it goes dark.

geedub said:
like tj asked can you boot to safe mode

im also thinking RAM ?

maybe try booting with one stick at a time ! if it boots you could well have a duff stick
I don't really think it is the RAM because it used to work with no failures.

QUOTE(RockmanForte @ Sep 5 2009, 10:37 PM)
If you burn a copy of window.. some backup didnt have boot. So you might need boot files or download one that come with boot already in it.
The copy that I have is indeed a burned copy, but I have that copy of windows on my PC and it works fine.

Zonix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
.Radiant said:
its probably damaged. i'd say its a useless laptop unless its still under warranty.
Actually my brother said that it was slightly damaged when he got it. Like if you moved it around too much it would shut off. But it didn't shut off when I just shook it. It do turns off when you take out the power cable though instead of using the battery.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
try pressing F12 and then you should be able to choose where to boot from directly
you could also try a Linux live CD (like xubuntu) to rule out a defective XP CD

Zonix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raki said:
try pressing F12 and then you should be able to choose where to boot from directly
you could also try a Linux live CD (like xubuntu) to rule out a defective XP CD
Nothing happens when I press F12. I go to "CD-Rom Device", Press ENTER, Computer just boots up as regular.

Where can I get this Linux live CD?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: DBZ 90% filler lol