Laptop suggestions?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Gundam Eclipse, Oct 6, 2012.

Oct 6, 2012

Laptop suggestions? by Gundam Eclipse at 10:58 AM (352 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Gundam Eclipse
    OP

Member Gundam Eclipse True Demon Route

India
    A relative of mine is looking for a laptop, but I am not really sure what to suggest.
    He will be using it for some gaming use, but will also use it for study/work purposes, so I suppose something with mid level graphics should suffice.
    Something which can, say, allow him to run some recent games at at least medium to low graphics, maybe medium high. Maybe Skyrim, or Batman Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Sleeping Dogs etc. etc..
    He may perhaps want to emulate some games, most likely DragonBall Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on the PS2.
    It should also hopefully be not too expensive, and should last for quite a few years(Not gaming wise, but standard usage.)
    Any laptops you guys can suggest which fits these criteria?

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    How expensive is not too expensive?

Also, I'm guessing he will be looking at something below the Samsung 700 series laptops.

3. Gundam Eclipse
    OP

Member Gundam Eclipse True Demon Route

India
    Right, forgot to say that the maximum he's willing to pay is 888$, sorry for not including that info derp >>;
    Gonna look into Samsung 700, in the meanwhile, is this any good? http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/ideapad/y-series/y580/
    It seems fairly powerful, and AFAIK he doesn't require bluray so its right within his budget :V Iunno though, I can't seem to find any reviews for it, must be doing something wrong

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It's hard to find reviews for specific laptop models just because there's so damn many of them.

Brand reliability isn't really a thing. It's down to the line/model (usually the line). For example you find so many people saying Dell sucks because Dell sells so many PoS laptops, because people will happily go to Walmart and buy the cheapest laptop they see all the time, so people simply end up buying a lot of shitty laptops from Dell... whereas people who buy their more expensive XPS systems (gaming and stuff like that) have far less issues because they're not buying total pieces of shit.

That laptop looks fine for gaming and emulation at that price.

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Agreed, that's a good laptop.

6. CCNaru

Member CCNaru Warn-free Since 2005

United States