Laptop makes buzzing noise

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Harsky, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Got a new laptop but when I plug in my headphones and not do anything at all, I hear a constant low pitched buzzing noise constantly. Is this normal? If so, does it make a difference if I get a new headphone for it?

2. moozxy

moozxy hamboning

Jul 22, 2007
    I'm sorry to have to tell you this...
    But your laptop is a bee.

3. Renegade_R

Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Apr 21, 2004
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    Model? If its an HP they are known to do that.

4. enarky

enarky owls?

GBAtemp Patron
    enarky is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 31, 2003
    Afghanistan
    *checks*
    No, not the testing area... okay.

Good news are that your Laptop actually is not a Bee. Bad news are that it sucks. Some electric components inside your Laptop are generating this noise, getting new headphones unfortunately won't get rid of it. There's a small possibility that it comes from your power supply, maybe changing that helps, but I doubt that. I'd give it back if I was you. Something like that is unacceptable, IMHO, and it speaks for very low quality engineering/manufacturing. Don't just exchange it for the same model, but get another Laptop altogether.

5. kobykaan

kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

Aug 27, 2007
    sure your not accidentally plugging it into a mic port?? mic ports are usually red and earphones/headphone green [​IMG]

and try a different set of headphones with better slightly thicker cable on them thicker cable is better shielded so should in theory reduce any background noise [​IMG]

also as above does it make the noise plugged into the mains as well as unplugged !?

If its only when plugged in then its a PSU issue not being GROUNDED correctly ...maby try moving the PSU block further away or as far as the cable will let you and see if that makes a difference [​IMG]

6. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    It's a Dell laptop. I was using the same earphones that I was using on my old laptop and it gave the buzzing noise but when I tried it out on a different headphone the noise is vastly different and the buzzing is pretty much almost gone. Unplugging the PSU made no difference and when I contacted Dell about it, they pretty much said that since changing headphones made a difference, there's no point in returning it and to be a little honest, I couldn't be bothered rebacking up all the data again just to send it in.

I guess I should change my habit and only wear headphones when I actually listen to music instead of wearing them all the time.

7. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Okay, I just think I'm giving up on the headphone jack altogether and just getting a headphone with USB connection. Are they just as good as normal earphones or are they just too much bother? Such a nice Dell laptop but the headphone jacks just absolutely sucks.

8. Blebleman

Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Nov 14, 2003
    Canada
    Chiba Prefecture , Japan
    Usually USB headphones are headsets, and USB headsets usually are their own soundcard. They have decent sound, but it depends on the pair.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice