Laptop makes buzzing noise

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Harsky, Nov 7, 2008.

Nov 7, 2008

Laptop makes buzzing noise by Harsky at 2:53 AM (1,321 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Got a new laptop but when I plug in my headphones and not do anything at all, I hear a constant low pitched buzzing noise constantly. Is this normal? If so, does it make a difference if I get a new headphone for it?

2. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    I'm sorry to have to tell you this...
    But your laptop is a bee.

3. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    Model? If its an HP they are known to do that.

4. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

*checks*
    No, not the testing area... okay.

Good news are that your Laptop actually is not a Bee. Bad news are that it sucks. Some electric components inside your Laptop are generating this noise, getting new headphones unfortunately won't get rid of it. There's a small possibility that it comes from your power supply, maybe changing that helps, but I doubt that. I'd give it back if I was you. Something like that is unacceptable, IMHO, and it speaks for very low quality engineering/manufacturing. Don't just exchange it for the same model, but get another Laptop altogether.

5. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    sure your not accidentally plugging it into a mic port?? mic ports are usually red and earphones/headphone green [​IMG]

and try a different set of headphones with better slightly thicker cable on them thicker cable is better shielded so should in theory reduce any background noise [​IMG]

also as above does it make the noise plugged into the mains as well as unplugged !?

If its only when plugged in then its a PSU issue not being GROUNDED correctly ...maby try moving the PSU block further away or as far as the cable will let you and see if that makes a difference [​IMG]

6. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    It's a Dell laptop. I was using the same earphones that I was using on my old laptop and it gave the buzzing noise but when I tried it out on a different headphone the noise is vastly different and the buzzing is pretty much almost gone. Unplugging the PSU made no difference and when I contacted Dell about it, they pretty much said that since changing headphones made a difference, there's no point in returning it and to be a little honest, I couldn't be bothered rebacking up all the data again just to send it in.

I guess I should change my habit and only wear headphones when I actually listen to music instead of wearing them all the time.

7. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Okay, I just think I'm giving up on the headphone jack altogether and just getting a headphone with USB connection. Are they just as good as normal earphones or are they just too much bother? Such a nice Dell laptop but the headphone jacks just absolutely sucks.

8. Blebleman

Member Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Canada
    Usually USB headphones are headsets, and USB headsets usually are their own soundcard. They have decent sound, but it depends on the pair.