Hardware Laptop HDD Question, and side question...

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My laptop came with 2 1TB HDDs and I am running out of room on them. I found a 2TB HDD (Would get 2 of them) I could order online and it has the following measurements:

• Height
    4 inches
  • Width
    2.75 inches
  • Weight
    3.5 ounces

Are these measurements correct for a laptop HDD? Thoughts/help appreciated
smile.png

Side Question: My laptop is running Windows 10 (Upgraded from Windows 8/8.1). If I do a reset through Windows 10 Settings Menu, would it reset back to Windows 10, or go back to Windows 8/8.1?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Those are the correct dimensions for a 2.5" form factor HDD, however do note that laptop drives come in different thicknesses. Most laptops are designed for 9.5mm thick HDDs, but many laptops may not be able to fit a 12.5mm thick HDD. It all depends on design.

Windows 10 reset would do a reset back to a clean version of Windows 10. Windows 10 restore/rollback (I've seen it referred to as both) will restore Windows 8.1. I forget if it keeps current data or reverts back to a recovery image created at the time of the update.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Those are the correct dimensions for a 2.5" form factor HDD, however do note that laptop drives come in different thicknesses. Most laptops are designed for 9.5mm thick HDDs, but many laptops may not be able to fit a 12.5mm thick HDD. It all depends on design.

Windows 10 reset would do a reset back to a clean version of Windows 10. Windows 10 restore/rollback (I've seen it referred to as both) will restore Windows 8.1. I forget if it keeps current data or reverts back to a recovery image created at the time of the update.
actually it'sthe opposite most laptops are designed for 12.5inch form factor the 9.5 inch only started coming into play for super slim laptops and ultrabooks

Reactions: Originality

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I stand corrected :P

Edit: as per the below post, I no longer stand corrected.

I remember always hearing issues with people trying to put bigger HDDs into PS3 and a,ways running into that issue with the depth. Cheaper laptops with generic chunky chassis will never have the problem, but ultraportables, netbooks, and other slim-factor laptops may very well be stuck with 9.5mm drives or smaller. And IIRC, it's mostly SSDs that come in the slimmer 7mm depth and sometimes need an adapter (read, piece of plastic stuck on top) to stay firmly seated.

But as for what was standard a long time ago, I confess I don't recall clearly (even if I may have been right in my assumption).

Last edited by Originality,

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I stand corrected :P
oops will correct myself 9.5mm is the standard you were right and yes 2tb come in this size

what i meant is 7mm is the non stand slim size ew both got confused with
hehe it used to be an issue super portable users when SSD's came out the Curcial M4 SSD could be modded you unscrewed it and removed the black spacer and it shrunk to 7mm

mediabob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you already have Windows 10 registered and running I would just get a Windows 10 ISO and do a fresh install once you swap the drives. It will re activate automatically.

When you update to Windows 10 your forfiet your 8.x license after a time, I don't remember how long, so it will no longer activate for you. They give you a trial period to roll back, but that expires.

I find a fresh install after a HDD swap works best, and if you have a recovery partition it's going to be useless except for allowing you to install 8 to upgrade to 10.

EDIT: Looks like rollback time frame is 30 days

Going back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1
Applies to Windows 10

• If it’s been less than a month since you upgraded to Windows 10, you can go back to your previous version of Windows by going to Settings > Update & security > Recovery and selecting either Go back to Windows 7 or Go back to Windows

Last edited by mediabob,

mediabob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, apparently in the fine print of the EULA when you take the free upgrade to Windows 10 you surrender the license of the version you upgrade from. You have the 30 day trial period to roll back but after that your done.

The only reason I knew this was because a buddy upgraded to 10 and a few months later the rollback option was gone so he decided to reinstall with his system recovery disk that he created when he bought the PC. It installed fine and everything was good until 30 days later when his "trial" was up, he called Microsoft and was told he would have to buy a new Windows 8 license because he surrendered his after staying on 10 past the trial period. His copy of 8 never activated because his 8 license had been converted to a 10 license and was no longer valid for 8.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...