Hardware Laptop Hard Drive Cable

pokemoner2500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have an Alienware m14x that I just got repaired a few days ago, I opened it up to reinsert the Hard Drive (I took it out when it broke) and I realized I somehow misplaced the connector that connects the Hard Drive to the Mobo. I looked all over and I cannot find it for my life so I'm going to buy a new one, the question I have is that does it have to be an Alienware one for my exact laptop or a generic one?

Any help would be appreciated!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't say without testing it. It could well be completely custom but the economics of volume manufacture are such that I can well see it being identical to another form as well. I don't think I have ever seen one with active components on it though, and actually can't think of any laptop ones with passives either, so there is that. It is certainly not a general thing like RAM or hard drives that have well known and well used standards.

If it was silly expensive then we could look into things like using a DVD slot as a second hard drive, or in this case primary hard drive, but while alienware tax is not as bad as apple tax it is still a thing. Pay the extra $20.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why would you disconnect the SATA connector from the motherboard?
Just taking the HDD out is already enough.

Anyway, just go for the generic ones.
They function just as good as the branded ones seeing their just a bunch of gold plated connectors and copper wires wrapped in plastic.

pokemoner2500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't say without testing it. It could well be completely custom but the economics of volume manufacture are such that I can well see it being identical to another form as well. I don't think I have ever seen one with active components on it though, and actually can't think of any laptop ones with passives either, so there is that. It is certainly not a general thing like RAM or hard drives that have well known and well used standards.

If it was silly expensive then we could look into things like using a DVD slot as a second hard drive, or in this case primary hard drive, but while alienware tax is not as bad as apple tax it is still a thing. Pay the extra $20.
Honestly $4 isn't that big of a deal. I'd try the generic one, and if it doesn't work, get the Alienware ones. If it does work, you saved $15-$20
Why would you disconnect the SATA connector from the motherboard?
Just taking the HDD out is already enough.

Anyway, just go for the generic ones.
They function just as good as the branded ones seeing their just a bunch of gold plated connectors and copper wires wrapped in plastic.
Alright I'll just buy a generic one and hope it works! I'll update soon™.

Reactions: DinohScene

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr