Laptop Hard Drive Cable

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by pokemoner2500, Dec 15, 2016.

1. pokemoner2500
    OP

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    So I have an Alienware m14x that I just got repaired a few days ago, I opened it up to reinsert the Hard Drive (I took it out when it broke) and I realized I somehow misplaced the connector that connects the Hard Drive to the Mobo. I looked all over and I cannot find it for my life so I'm going to buy a new one, the question I have is that does it have to be an Alienware one for my exact laptop or a generic one?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Can't say without testing it. It could well be completely custom but the economics of volume manufacture are such that I can well see it being identical to another form as well. I don't think I have ever seen one with active components on it though, and actually can't think of any laptop ones with passives either, so there is that. It is certainly not a general thing like RAM or hard drives that have well known and well used standards.

If it was silly expensive then we could look into things like using a DVD slot as a second hard drive, or in this case primary hard drive, but while alienware tax is not as bad as apple tax it is still a thing. Pay the extra $20.

3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Honestly $4 isn't that big of a deal. I'd try the generic one, and if it doesn't work, get the Alienware ones. If it does work, you saved $15-$20

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Why would you disconnect the SATA connector from the motherboard?
    Just taking the HDD out is already enough.

Anyway, just go for the generic ones.
    They function just as good as the branded ones seeing their just a bunch of gold plated connectors and copper wires wrapped in plastic.

5. pokemoner2500
    OP

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Alright I'll just buy a generic one and hope it works! I'll update soon™.

DinohScene likes this.