Lack of social features

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Shuji1987, Aug 9, 2011.

Aug 9, 2011

Lack of social features by Shuji1987 at 4:16 PM (2,382 Views / 0 Likes) 33 replies

1. Shuji1987
    OP

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands
    It really pisses me off so to say. Everything that get's even remotely close to being some form of communication between two people is being shot in the ass with the following comment: "omg let's think of our childrenz!! We no want tehm to see a picturez looky liek ballz!"

A lot of their choices (towards online play/connectivity between players) are based toward that comment, but I don't get it. What use has their parental controls then when theres nothing to do.. also aren't they supposed to be friends you talk with?? So you can expect what they would send you. They will get their dose of balls in real life if they are friends with perverts so it's not a valid excuse.

I just find it strange that no social features are integrated while the hardware can easily do this in various aspects.

However, seeing the Wii U being able to offer skype function they are suddenly oke with showing real balls of a pervert to young kids? Anyway, I just hope that this feature means we'll see something on the 3DS sooner or later because it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

/rant

2. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Well, the 3DS is still early in it's lifespan...

But seeing Nintendo, I have absolutely no hopes for any Social app (Facebook, Twitter or even Google+), needless to say a communication one like Skype.

3. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Hopefully voice chat, messaging fucntions will be added.

I woudnt be surprised if they never add such things, but one can hope.

4. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    I've said it 100 times and ill say it again. The 3DS is NOT a smartphone or iPodTouch and its nintendo they have NEVER added in a bunch of features that chances are wont even be used by the adverage user. (WHAT THE HELL IS GOOGLE PLUS!?) But thats mostly off topic and I put here as a premptive strike to the idiot who wants to rant about how he cant check his facebook.
    OnTopic:
    I agree we do need a in-game type of voice chat. And the Friend list does need a form of IM. But skype and facebook and crap seems like a overkill (you want "find your friends on facebook" buttons poping up so you can add their FC?)

5. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    At least the DS/DSi offered PictoChat and DSi Camera -> upload straight to Facebook. The 3DS for now has none.

And did I say I want to check my Facebook? Just a 3DS photo stream to it would be good enough for me. Since 3DS has arguably 'better online', it can also support other social sites like twitter for instance in photosharing.

6. Shuji1987
    OP

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands
    Oh jeez, someone is using selective caps to show their anger.

Anyways, it's not just things like facebook I'm craving for, even though the more the better [​IMG]. I just want to be sharing and communicating a lot more with my 3DS. Not just for the purpose of networking, but also for online gaming or just to talk to your friends on the 3DS and kill time or arrange an online game.

Nintendo has to get off this high horse and start working on actually useful features (I mean, come on, how useful is your friend list?).

Also, features like this are what makes the replay value (even when not playing a game) of the system worthwhile.

7. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Not the same at all , but has anyone try using the multitask browser to communicate with friends?

8. Shuji1987
    OP

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands
    No, seems pretty awkward. Might as well go to the computer and do it there or use my blackberry to contact them or text them (or even go online on it with a messenger).

In the time I get anything done with the browser I could've ran 30 times around my house.

9. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States

[​IMG]

On topic:

Yea, the censors put for the sake of children are a bit annoying (I can't use Damn!), but I think they put video calling on the WiiU because its a family thing and Ninty has some illusion that everyone will buy one and use that to keep in touch with their families.

10. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    It's a viable question, very few people know about/use it.

11. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    My iPod did all that and that didnt keep it from gaining dust while I played my 3DS and PC. I told you. I agree with the IM and the Voice Chat. But to me adding a bunch of social apps is just going to waste space. I actually go outside and talk to my friends, you know? Like what people used to do? Also I use selective caps to show emphasis on words. Kind of like what any 5th grade grammar lesson would teach you. Plus, I use my friends list all the time. Its one of my highest used apps (activity log [​IMG])

12. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Google+ is like Facebook but nobody uses it.

13. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    I guess, it just caught me off guard is all. [​IMG]

14. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    As long as there's some kind of friends list messaging system in the future, I'll be happy. I won't mind if social networking apps aren't made, but it would be nice.

As for text/voice chat in-game, I hope more games will use voice chat now. ESPECIALLY Animal Crossing 3DS.

15. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I would love to see a facebook and twitter app. And with Nintendo being able to update their 3DS, there's no reason why they can't. The whole "behind the scene updates" thing is B.S, and I think people have had enough of it.

16. MG4M3R

Member MG4M3R GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I think that you are expecting too much...

Some kind of online Pictochat would be enough.

17. sergster1

Member sergster1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeah. I'm somewhat annoyed how they didnt include pictochat AT ALL with the 3DS (correct me and please tell me where to find it if im wrong) But common just wait. IIRC the DSi didnt originally have upload to facebook on the original firmware it was patched in later on so just wait guys [​IMG]

18. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    All they really need to do is make two buttons on your friend's list.

When you have a friend "Selected" they should have "Invite to video chat" and "Send message". That would honestly be perfect. I know the 3DS is capable of both. Microsoft and Sony have done it... Nintendo... no one is going to get killed.

19. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    Are you being serious?
    Cos I assure it would be alot harder then that.

20. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Things are not as easy as it looks my friend.

But I wish they do add those 2 functions.