Hacking LaCie L.A. Porsche 500GB external. Help?

NeoDraven

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
algols-place.chatango.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a 500gb external L.A. Porsche LaCie HDD. These are the specs;

http://www.gadgetgrid.com/2007/11/30/porsc...nal-hard-drive/

I have done everything I can think of to get this sumbeesh to work with the USB Loader. I partitioned the active part of the drive to about 350GB, with about 150GB partitioned, intended to be used for Wii ISO loading. Here's a screenshot of what I did.

ss.jpg

Every single time I try to run the USB Loader, I get the same "Could not initialize USB subsystem! (ret = -1) ?" error. I read the other FAQ, so I know what possible issues there could be. I tried both USB ports, but haven't been able to get it to work.

Does anyone else here have the same external hard drive as me, who knows how to partition this thing correctly, or can anyone point me to a 1TB external hard drive that DOES work? I know that 500GB is maximum partition size, too; I've tried to cover due diligence in looking for an answer myself before posting this.

As a side-note; I was able to successfully dump Wii Sports onto a shitty 1GB SD card that I plugged into an SD USB Adapter, and it worked flawlessly. I just want to be able to partition this 500GB drive to have about 150GB allocated to Wii ISOs and the rest for my regular usage.

If anyone can help me with this, I'd be terribly appreciative.

NeoDraven

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Well, from the screenshot here, under New Volume F:, I was also trying to make sure I had at least partitioned and formatted it correctly, so when I get a drive that is compatible (if this one turns out not to be), then at least I know how to do it correctly.

Did I partition and format this one right? If not, can anyone tell me what I need to do to get it right? I have Norton Partition Magic 8.0 that I downloaded last night, but I've never messed with partitions before.

guywhatever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the same external drive I have.. And I haven't gotten it to work with that method or ANY method. Hopefully in future updates of USB Loader it'll work

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
make sure its a primary partition also try turning the drive off, power up the wii and then connect and power the drive it could be behaving like the seagates do

guywhatever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiisel said:
make sure its a primary partition also try turning the drive off, power up the wii and then connect and power the drive it could be behaving like the seagates do

This doesn't work for me either, sadly.. Just tried it and it still just hangs at the black screen for a long time and then gives me the ret = -1 error

NeoDraven

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Okay; I've made progress. Here's the screenshot;

ss2.jpg

So, I have my J: drive partitioned as FAT32 now, but I have it as a Logical Drive. Did I fuck up, or will this probably work?

Edit: Okay, I checked the compatibility Wiki...

df.jpg

Based on this, looks like I am pissing in the wind at the moment, until another update comes out. I am going to try out the MyBook 1TB I have at the moment and see how that works. I'll report back any news.

guywhatever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you can make a partition a primary partition with Disk Management.. Of course I dunno if you can, but from what everyone says it has to be primary and not logical.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
looks like you have changed it now but was going to suggest that most things like this require drives to be FAT or FAT32 and not NTFS ... NTFS is predominantly a WINDOWS format to be used by WINDOWS machines!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The only 3 things I can think of:

The aforementioned "swap" trick, by swapping between a drive that works (and hasn't been formatted yet) and the drive you want. (Prolly won't work since you've got 2 partitions on your HDD and I don't think it'll let you select if you use the swap trick)
The power trick - after seeing the ret=-1 error, press the power button on your wiimote to turn the wii off, turn it back on, go back to the USB Loader once again, and see if it works (works for some of the problem drives from the wiki, and could work for you too).

Finally, get Maximillion's WBFS Windows GUI v2, select the drive letter you want to format, check the format box, and click the format button that magically appears. The DOS Prompt will ask for confirmation, with a warning, and seconds after accepting it'll say something like "wbfs initialized".
EDIT: Some people report that their drives don't work with the tool. I've only seen the "error: no error" message twice, after my stupid mouse triple clicked the "list games" button... one DOS Prompt showed the games, and the other 2 showed the error. I closed them all down and tried again, and have never seen the error since. But that's just me.

After that, try the Loader again. If it doesn't work, maybe an update will fix it.

EDIT: I heard randomly that using a USB hub could help. Try using a externally powered USB hub inbetween the wii and your drive, or just a USB powered USB hub if you don't have one. I don't know if it'll work, but apparently it works for some people.

F0ur2o

Trophies
Website
www.bigkahunatattshack.com
XP
Country
Canada
I have the same drive. DOES NOT WORK. Formatted 10-15 times in every which way but loose.

I ended up going and buying a $25 No Name enclosure for an old 80Gb IDE drive.

60 Gigs for ISO -- If I need more than that I have a problem.
20 Gigs for MPlayerCE -- Plenty of room for dumping and deleting. Might be time for the xbox1 to get packed up.

Now my 500Gb is good still for NTFS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1