L and R Shoulder Buttons

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by wiidsguy, May 2, 2008.

May 2, 2008

L and R Shoulder Buttons by wiidsguy at 3:16 AM (1,568 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. wiidsguy
    OP

Member wiidsguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was just wanting to know that if you use a r4 if the l and r shoulder buttons will stop worng i have had mine for over and year and i will need to sen my ds in twice now and only happen when i got a r4

2. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Do you put it in your pocket often? That may be the reason why. Blow in the small gap in both the L and R shoulder buttons. It might work after a few blows. Mine doesn't respond when I put it in my pocket as well, but works perfectly after I blow in it.

3. wiidsguy
    OP

United States
    that sounds funny but thank you a lot, i will try it out.

4. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    my "R" button stopped working after a time. I had to press on it so hard to make it work that my finger would hurt. nintendo told me that my warrenty was up and it would cost me $86.50 with shipping to have it looked at and fixed. obviously i wasn't about to spend that on a 2yr old ds with scratches on the touch screen, so i used a can of compressed air. the "R" button sits just by the power area and if you pull it back far enough there is a small hole between the button and the case. you can get some good air squirts in there and really clean it out. after a few tries i got it all clean and it works perfectly.

i did a bit of research around on various forums and it appears that the micro switches used for the shoulder buttons can be clogged with tiny bits of dust and dirt. to think that nintendo would probably have done the same thing. also if blowing in there with the case connected just doesn't seem to do it, and you're no longer under warrenty you can pick up a triwing screwdriver for around .99-2.00. there are a few guides to opening the case of the nds. just take your time, but you will find when its open that it is 100x easier to clean out dust and dirt.

goodluck,
    -another world

5. wiidsguy
    OP

United States
    Thank you i will buy some in the morning, this is my first post, but i am glade i did.

6. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    This problem is well known and is a design flaw with all of Nintendo's handhelds since the original GBA SP. By the time it happens the warrantee is up and people who don't know better might just get a new unit. I mean why repair your DS fat with scratched screens when you can get a DS lite for just a bit more?

In business this is often called "planned obsolescence" or "scheduled obsolescence," even if it is unintentional. It's very common, especially in the electronics market (headphones!!). It's a system designed to get people to buy something they wouldn't otherwise want/need, and damn does it work.

7. Kingfield

Member Kingfield GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Lmao. R4 making shoulder buttons stop working?
    I have NO IDEA what would give you such an obscure idea.

8. wiidsguy
    OP

United States
    Why do you think, its highjacks you gui so it could,

9. Kingfield

Member Kingfield GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Pffft. Thats the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Thats like saying- Don't use this computer program! It will stop your keyboard from working!

10. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    umm ya ... just blow (or suck if blowing doesn't work... yes i mean it) or hit it as is yer last option surely it will work then

11. FaRReR

Member FaRReR GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Well duh, R4 does not break the DS, try it with a NON-PIRATED game and you'll find the same thing...
    If I may say it, you are an idiot.

12. Swip

Member Swip GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    ROFL!! I bags putting this in my sig first =)

13. FaRReR

Member FaRReR GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    awwww.... meanie [​IMG]

14. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    Well, at least Ican guarantee that no cart in the world will prevent your shoulder buttons from working, except you only play game sthat doesn't use shoulder buttons much