Some DSi Shoulder Button Questions

actualkoifish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. What do the two things next to the L button switch do on a DSi shoulder button assembly? They look like potentiometers, like the kind you use to adjust LCDs. Is that what they are, or is it something else?

2. My DSi L button is totally busted. The switch is unresponsive. How do I know for sure that it is the switch and not something with the ribbon cable? Also, is it a pain to replace or relatively easy? Looks like 5 smallish solder joints, might just be too much of a PITA. Curious what folks think.

Thanks for all help on this issue.

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure about the pots - although similar ones existed on the DS Lite board and DID change the screen contrast, the screens work just fine without the pots in question.

You can check whether the L Button switch is broken with a multimeter.
You can assuredly swap the button on its own - I've done it in the past - but it is quite tricky. You can get the whole flex assembly for pretty cheap instead.

actualkoifish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure about the pots - although similar ones existed on the DS Lite board and DID change the screen contrast, the screens work just fine without the pots in question.

You can check whether the L Button switch is broken with a multimeter.
You can assuredly swap the button on its own - I've done it in the past - but it is quite tricky. You can get the whole flex assembly for pretty cheap instead.
What behavior should I look for using the multimeter? Also, I am surprised that L/R harnesses are, contrary to my experience (and yours, it seems) are hard to find on their own. Plenty of cheap whole units for sale however, so I will look at harvesting if needed. As you say, it looks like a real pain to solder five joints on that tiny ribbon cable.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What behavior should I look for using the multimeter? Also, I am surprised that L/R harnesses are, contrary to my experience (and yours, it seems) are hard to find on their own. Plenty of cheap whole units for sale however, so I will look at harvesting if needed. As you say, it looks like a real pain to solder five joints on that tiny ribbon cable.
Check for continuity on the switch while pressing it.

You can also take apart the housing and clean the contacts themselves, but it'd only be a temporary fix.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol