ROM Hack Kumatanchi translation

Benandanti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Currently there's a few guys from 4chan working on this, but they could always use some more translators and hackers to help out.

1222206485638hf5.jpg

Currently, the prologue has been uploaded to http://kumatrans.wikidot.com/start and the raw text data taken straight from the game can be found at http://www.rapidshare.com/files/147824498/script.rar.html. However, there seems to be problems re-inserting it, supposedly concerning the size of the speech bubbles and font issues.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm sure.

Reactions: Block18251

Benandanti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. Those working on it don't consider the text used in the game to be too complicated, but already there's a few discrepancies in what's translated so far between the couple of translators they do have.

As for the technical details, I'll repost what's I think is relevant from the original thread:

Meh, doesn't support 1 byte text.
Translating "hello" like "?????" will be a bitch and I won't have enough room for a translation (unless you want all the text like "battle" as "btle". I could hack the pointers, creating more room but that's out of my league. I'll look into the font now, probably won't work so don't count on it.

It's in multiple files, 422 files, even. Making it into file (in order) will takes ages. If I can fix the font I will.

Replaced the font with Dokidoki's font.

Having a look at the file, some have spaces between text while others have ? between the text. If I cant simply type over the ? things may look weird every now and then.
eve_prol_a02.kds has it
eve_rabi_c01.kds does
eve_rabi_e02.kds does
Not all of them do, heck about 3/10 do but still, fyi
(sorry, the machine I'm on right now doesn't have east asian language support)

Hope this gives you an impression of how things are going so far. To be honest, I'm sure that they could work out the translation by themselves eventually, but very few of them have any substantial knowledge of rom hacking.

In any case, this topic was intended just to let people know that there is a translation going on and any help would be appreciated, rather than a demand for people to start working on it right away.

Benandanti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I think they were trying the font file from Dokidoki Majo Shinpan to get round the problems they were having.

CongLat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, this is the one "responsible" for the project. If you can't get a hold of me here, on my newly created account, then you can contact me on the wiki. Right now we're working on translation and ripping of the script and we are in need of a new rom hacker for inserting the translated texts. Also, I'd like to thank Benadanti for creating this thread.

About the fonts, I could only find two, one is kumafont.nftr and the other is kumafont_e.ntfr which seems to be English characters only.

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow this is the easiest game I've seen so far to hack. There's not even a pointer table, just a block of null-terminated strings. What exactly is the problem with the font?

Edit: I see, it ignores the character widths.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
I replaced both kuma fonts with one from the YS translation but as it seems there is one more font somewhere, open the whole rom with a hex editor and search for RTFN there are 3 results I think.

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noitora said:
I replaced both kuma fonts with one from the YS translation but as it seems there is one more font somewhere, open the whole rom with a hex editor and search for RTFN there are 3 results I think.
There are only 2 fonts. The third "RTFN" is in the arm9.bin at 0x38938, but it's just the header strings. Probably the code to read the font.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
DarthNemesis said:
Noitora said:
There are only 2 fonts. The third "RTFN" is in the arm9.bin at 0x38938, but it's just the header strings. Probably the code to read the font.
My bad then
biggrin.gif

I wonder what's causing those big spaces between the letters...
I doubt it's the font since I've replaced both of them...

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noitora said:
I wonder what's causing those big spaces between the letters...
I doubt it's the font since I've replaced both of them...
The problem is that the game ignores the offset values from the NFTR file and just uses 13 for every character. You'd probably need to hack the arm9 to get it to use the correct value, and the speech balloons would probably need to be fixed too.

CongLat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for the valuable information. Currently I'm the only one doing the hacking on the project, and I'm not too experienced with it. So if there are any rom hackers or tile editors that want to join, feel free to PM me or join the wiki with a message of what you want to do.
Thanks everyone.

CongLat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CongLat said:
Thanks everyone for the valuable information. Currently I'm the only one doing the hacking on the project, and I'm not too experienced with it. So if there are any rom hackers or tile editors that want to join, feel free to PM me or join the wiki with a message of what you want to do.
Thanks everyone.
To elaborate, we have got much of the script and menu translated, and would be able to release a beta patch if we could get someone who could hack the arm9.bin to fix the text offset.
So, we're still looking for a rom hacker!
If you think you can help PM me here or drop by http://kumatrans.wikidot.com/ and IM me there or post on the forums.
Thanks to anyone that helps!

YoYoDS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I would also like to know if people are still working ont this. This game is one of the most detailed games on the DS and I really want to play this. I thought I could just mess around and play it without the translation but all I seem to be doing is making the character cry.

I don't completely understand hacking/translations, but I think someone above wrote "btl" instead of "battle" -that's totally acceptable if you can't fit the words. I don't really care I just want to understand how to play.

if more people were interested in playing this game would it motivate someone to finish this project? DS needs more detailed games like this.

I hate how nintendo makes a new console and then says: "ok we made 3 or 4 really good games, well let other game companies make the rest of the games for our handheld or console." Then we get an arsenal of crappy games for nintendo. Why can't nintendo keep making mario games, or sequels until they make a new console? They're usually the ones who know how to take full control of each handheld or vgconsole's potential (I mean for graphics, gameplay replay value, etc.) And to further my point, if you go to gamespot > wii > top games > usually you find like 3 or 4 games with a good score. And they're usually mario games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hi