Hacking ktemkin drama

Phoenixrite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
I was just thinking, if the bug is out...and allows tetherless booting and if its supposedly parched in 5.x and Nintendo knows about it, can someone please make it available so those on a low firmware can use it, instead of people struggling with tethered booting, thanks.

Reactions: Pluupy and RAGER

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$200,000, or game system hacks.. I'd go with the money too. Who ever found the bug should have sent it in to nintendo them self instead of trusting someone on the Internet with it.
About the "trusting someone on the Internet with it." part I agree (tho any major application development needs more then one person, and finding skilled developers willing to work for free is rare), but about the 200k, you dont know SciresM, maybe to him 200k isn't that much.

Reactions: brickmii82

a7mag3ddon

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you all not read, she didn't release the bug or submit it to any bug bounty, all your doing is spreading bullshit you fuktards.

Reactions: mowsie

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest, if I were Scires I would have done the same.
Doesn't K do this sort of thing for a living? (hacking-related stuff)
If it does, then take this into perspective of a potential employer...

Would you hire someone who is well known for disclosing information or assets, even if from a person or an industry standpoint?
Even if it was a mistake, it went overboard by assuming it was okay to disclose to a corporate party something that wasn't made by one's self.

Was Scires harsh on his actions? Yes, but the actions as to letting known what happened will alert other parties of such doubtful activities, even if the other parties are hacking groups or even a potential employer, more so if this person does this sort of thing for a living.
I'm sorry, but that it how it is, if I would hire or let someone into a group, I'd like to know what I'm dealing with.

Also, why are people taking Qyriad's post into account?
Who is s/he again?
It wasn't one of the developers of RS for sure, and also most people are forgetting two things:
  • ReSwitch is not every mod in the server, Qyriad wasn't anything more than a mod in Discord, nothing of that scale needed to go through that person. Also, it's odd most of you guys are giving a big oversight to a post in which Plailect does mention he was aware of the situation and Scires discussed with him and other RS members before making the call. Qyriad's post means nothing towards Plailect's words.
  • If the relationship stuff with K, Qyriad and Aurora is real, then no wonder why they left, as they are clearly stickingup for each other, and are biased towards one another in a situation like this. And given they are so vocal and that towards LGBT/trans, and people in that community tend to really defend each other out, it was more than obvious that all the members involved in it would left, their personal bias is more important than moral grounds for them. I wouldn't be amazed if hedgeberg follows as well and leaves RS too, I'm still wondering why he hasn't at this point

Great post, finally some sanity in a thread that is totally off the rails

I_doTinySoldering

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm tired of the identity politics here. K may not be actively hiding behind gender politics, but the issue is still being used as a defense. That's not right and everyone knows it.

People should be judged on actions. K was wrong and K deserved the boot.

I definitely would not hire or work with a person that doesn't pay attention to details or intentionally discloses confidential information. Doesn't matter how it happened. I don't care. The results are the same and K did it.

Scires had every right to take action. Also, Scires is human, too. Let's also remember that Scires is the victim here and identity politics don't change that. K is the one that did wrong and set this in motion.

offsense

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm tired of the identity politics here. K may not be actively hiding behind gender politics, but the issue is still being used as a defense. That's not right and everyone knows it.

I definitely would not hire or work with a person that doesn't pay attention to details or intentionally discloses confidential information. Doesn't matter how it happened. I don't care. The results are the same and K did it.

Scires had every right to take action. Also, Scires is human, too. Let's also remember that Scires is the victim here and identity politics don't change that. K is the one that did wrong and set this in motion.

Yup you make all good points. I've been reading info on both sides to get a better picture and I agree.

Tapri

Forum Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Should read over some of the twitter feeds. According to K, they submitted a bug to Google over the bootrom security in the Pixel-C, which the bug was publicly documented as a feature that was working as intended but in the nitty gritty stuff was a bug that wasn't flagged as a bug. It's also been stated that Google and NVidia knew about the issue, and K was attempting to show how bad it could actually be with the bug. Along with Which said bug was originally found by Scires (if i'm not mistaken). No money has been collected either. K had used the bug as an example for Google as what could potentially happen for something else (what was said was it wasn't switch related but i don't know how true that holds). There was nothing submitted to Nintendo about anything for the switch.

As it stands, no one here is in the right and everyone is in the wrong. K for doing what they did by not discussing it prior with Scires and the rest, and Scires is just in the wrong as the rest for, especially for the he way he publicly disclosed the accusation, which could have been handled a lot better and more privately rather than calling out and trying to shame someone and leaving very little transparency to what happened and why. All he's said is that K had submitted a bug to a bounty and betrayed the internal trust, which seems partially conflicting according to what K and some other people are saying. Along with that Scires and the rest started the whole gender shaming thing as far as i'm concerned by even mentioning it in the first place. Along with that Scires is refusing to make any effort to actually sort the issues out and communicate proper with K or anyone else on the issue.

TL;DR, this could have been solved so much better than what the current situation is. It's really childish of the ReSwitched team in general.

Last edited by Tapri,
Reactions: 0000ff

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i havent followed too closely but ive missed the part, hey treat this person differently because she is "insertxhere"

krasaty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Should read over some of the twitter feeds. According to K, they submitted a bug to Google over the bootrom security in the Pixel-C, which the bug was publicly documented as a feature that was working as intended but in the nitty gritty stuff was a bug that wasn't flagged as a bug. It's also been stated that Google and NVidia knew about the issue, and K was attempting to show how bad it could actually be with the bug. Along with Which said bug was originally found by Scires (if i'm not mistaken). No money has been collected either. K had used the bug as an example for Google as what could potentially happen for something else (what was said was it wasn't switch related but i don't know how true that holds). There was nothing submitted to Nintendo about anything for the switch.
From what I understand coming from this, SciresM likely believed that Nvidia, while knowing of this, could possibly not patch it in the T214 that mariko units come with because it's only ever been publicly documented as an intended feature. Ktemkin telling google about this Pixel C bug, and by extension the possible effects of the bootrom bug, brings attention to said bootrom bug and increases the chances of it being patched in the T214 and SciresM likely felt like that was going to be his big way of exploiting mariko units.

Tapri

Forum Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand coming from this, SciresM likely believed that Nvidia, while knowing of this, could possibly not patch it in the T214 that mariko units come with because it's only ever been publicly documented as an intended feature. Ktemkin telling google about this Pixel C bug, and by extension the possible effects of the bootrom bug, brings attention to said bootrom bug and increases the chances of it being patched in the T214 and SciresM likely felt like that was going to be his big way of exploiting mariko units.

A valid point; but at the same token, NVidia could have been patching it regardless of K's submission to Google. It's something we wont know until the mariko systems are released (the question of if or when is still present). All it is now is they can just use K as a scapegoat if it is patched whether or not it was submitted. If K hadn't submitted that and it was patched anyway, then K wouldn't be in any drama but the end result is the same: a patched exploit.

Still doesn't change how poorly this was handled by RS though.

Last edited by Tapri,
Reactions: DarthDub

krasaty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A valid point; but at the same token, NVidia could have been patching it regardless of K's submission to Google. It's something we wont know until the mariko systems are released (the question of if or when is still present). All it is now is they can just use K as a scapegoat if it is patched whether or not it was submitted. If K hadn't submitted that and it was patched anyway, then K wouldn't be in any drama but the end result is the same: a patched exploit.

Still doesn't change how poorly this was handled by RS though.
I agree that they didn't handle it great, but I do believe that Ktemkin should not have brought any attention to the bug at least until mariko units were out as SciresM has stated (on 4chan) that he was keeping dejavu private until mariko units were out so he could test aspects of the exploit chain on them. SciresM imo is right to be angry and feel betrayed by this but he should still tried his best, if he didnt, to not let his emotions get in the way of how he handled it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.