Hacking ktemkin drama

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't read everything in this thread, but I agree with those who don't think emuNAND is a priority. We're in a very privileged position with the unpatchable FG and the ability to update without burning fuses. We weren't so lucky early on with the 3DS.

But does it require a jig tho
For now, it will probably require RCM, yes.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but the idea is to have your sysNAND on a low firmware for coodboot then boot into the latest on emuNAND for games
If your fuses are burnt past the firmwares that have the potential for untethered coldboot (1.0 for now), then you would be unable to boot the untethered coldboot without using the tethered coldboot (because theoretically the untethered coldboot needs 1.0 to work). This is not in disagreement to your statement but applies to those who wish to use a CFW on higher firmwares whilst retaining untethered coldboot access.

Reactions: Lacius

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
If your fuses are burnt past the firmwares that have the potential for untethered coldboot (1.0 for now), then you would be unable to boot the untethered coldboot without using the tethered coldboot (because theoretically the untethered coldboot needs 1.0 to work). This is not in disagreement to your statement but applies to those who wish to use a CFW on higher firmwares whilst retaining untethered coldboot access.

Definitely! That's why Rajkosto's method has been a lifesaver

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we be sure that the logs won't be shared? I'd assume it's tied to the consoles unique identifier. I have doubts this time around. Yay?
If you never go online with the emunand (or better yet, if it's made such that online is permanently disabled), then any logs that are made shouldn't be shared.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If you never go online with the emunand (or better yet, if it's made such that online is permanently disabled), then any logs that are made shouldn't be shared.
Key word... "Shouldn't".. I can't see this being a surefire thing. Not until we know for sure. Just "if"..

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would emunand really provide a 100% safe environment to run rampant? Can we say this with 100% certainty?

Nothing is 100% certain at this point. There could be bugs which mean that the sysnand still gets updated, or in theory they might be writing data elsewhere. But it's almost certainly possible to patch everything Nintendo try, if you can find it.

You won't be able to go online from emunand, probably not even to update games, without banning your sysnand. Although technically the id could be spoofed so everyone gives the same id, which will get banned, but Nintendo won't be able to tell what your real id is.

Last edited by smf,

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Key word... "Shouldn't".. I can't see this being a surefire thing. Not until we know for sure. Just "if"..
That's a sure thing. if you go online with both then boom.

There's no need for discussing this if your emunand or sysnand (your choice) is always offline (either via patch or no saved wifi, except if you go near a nintendo wifi point, then it must be off).
Don't forget that there's no pshysical exchange between the 2. They are completely seperate storage that can't access each other (if done correctly).

Reactions: Kioku

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no need for discussing this if your emunand or sysnand (your choice) is always offline (either via patch or no saved wifi, except if you go near a nintendo wifi point, then it must be off).
Just so I understand you correctly, by Nintendo Wi-Fi point, you mean an access point that is saved into your Wi-Fi settings already correct?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay, I see the discussion has already moved on, but as for the initial topic of this thread....

ughhh :/

To say this has been handled poorly would be a massive understatement.

So, ktemkin submitted some bugs for the Pixel C, illustrating them using a somewhat public bootrom bug. Was it poor decision making on her side? Maybe. Doesn't look like bad intentions to me, though, and apparently she hasn't made any money from it.

The real problem here is this thing being blown out of proportion. A GBAtemp thread with 73 pages (and counting), several ReSwitched members left, flames everywhere and everyones eyes on it. Think anything like that would have happened if the matter was discussed in a calm and collected manner with ktemkin herself? Even if the end result was the same, her leaving the team? Intentionally not crediting someone for the work they've done in a project is a big no go, though.

Anyways, just my 5 cents. Please continue the ReiNX discussion, that's far more pleasurable than the actual topic of the thread. Nice to see Switch development making some big improvements here!

Last edited by d0k3,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: