Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
severdrive_t.jpg

A small company in the Ukraine has been manufacturing flash carts for Super NES, Sega Megadrive, and Sega Master System. These carts all use standard SD flash memory (no SDHC support) to load the ROMs with the FAT16 file system. Unique to these flash carts is that they are made in the Ukraine, rather than the typical factories in the China Industrialized Zone.

The infamous shop Tototek has recently become an official reseller of KRIKzz products so head on over there if you want to buy. The Sega flash carts are much more affordable than previous flash carts from other companies at only $80(+shipping) a piece, however the SNES flash cart is still a bit on the heavy side of price and on par with other manufacturers while coming in at $131.99(+shipping).

Head on over to the link below for product technical specifications and more images of each device.

icon11.gif
My Source

Ziggy Zigzagoon

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine...
I welcome the change. I mean, keeping stuff in other countries not only helps their economies, but also serves the function of safeguards when things go wrong in China.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i really don't find $130 being an expensive price point at all. when you consider all the roms you can play on actual hardware, then add in hacks, translations, homebrew, prototypes, unreleased games, save back-ups, etc?

amptor have you used any of their products? how are they, what is compatibility like, etc?

i've actually been really interested in grabbing a genesis flash kit for a bit....

-another world

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
a bit pricey but if i end up getting a snes off of ebay one of these days then i think i may pick one of these babies up
biggrin.gif

also, off-topic but you broke the page with your html, amptor
tongue.gif

amptor

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
i really don't find $130 being an expensive price point at all. when you consider all the roms you can play on actual hardware, then add in hacks, translations, homebrew, prototypes, unreleased games, save back-ups, etc?

amptor have you used any of their products? how are they, what is compatibility like, etc?

i've actually been really interested in grabbing a genesis flash kit for a bit....

-another world

I have been told that the flash cart I reviewed, the RetroUSB SNES flash cart, is better than KRIKzz device and that it is the best one money can buy.

I haven't been able to get a reply from KRIKzz for review nor Tototek and no replies kinda put things at a halt. Since these only support FAT16 and 2GB, it makes sense that the RetroUSB cart is a superior product which can support larger flash cards via CF.

As far as money is concerned, it's a no brainer to go with RetroUSB for SNES solutions. Although Team Neoflash's sega products cost more, they support SDHC with the Neo2 Pro so you can store more games that way than on KRIKzz' flash carts.

Ziggy Zigzagoon

Trophies
XP
Country
amptor said:
Although Team Neoflash's sega products cost more, they support SDHC with the Neo2 Pro so you can store more games that way than on KRIKzz' flash carts.
Considering that SNES games barely reach 3 MB, I do not see much value in getting a SDHC card for SNES games.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only problem I have with this thing is that there are versions with or without the DSP1 chip, but absolutely no support for the Super FX or other special chips - no Super Mario World 2, no Star Fox, no Super Mario RPG, and probably no Megaman X2/X3.

However, for anyone looking at a cheap solution without any sort of special chip support, look at StoneAgeGamers - They've got a nice combo deal for the board stuck into a re-labeled SNES cart, plus a 2GB SD card, coupons for free firmware upgrades, and a fancy VHS clamshell case to store it all in, for just $120 and shipping.

Also, people complaining about no SDHC support: 2GB is enough to store the entire US romset, plus any hacks or translations you'd want. I don't remember how large SNES save files are but there should be plenty of room for those too.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
samagon said:
FFS it's Ukraine not the Ukraine. You don't run around saying the Uruguay, do you now?

No, but people do say The United States, or The Soviet Union, or The Caribbean, etc...

It's not unheard of, so quit being such a grammar nazi.

jurai

Trophies
XP
Country
amptor said:
Another World said:

-another world

I have been told that the flash cart I reviewed, the RetroUSB SNES flash cart, is better than KRIKzz device and that it is the best one money can buy.

I haven't been able to get a reply from KRIKzz for review nor Tototek and no replies kinda put things at a halt. Since these only support FAT16 and 2GB, it makes sense that the RetroUSB cart is a superior product which can support larger flash cards via CF.

As far as money is concerned, it's a no brainer to go with RetroUSB for SNES solutions. Although Team Neoflash's sega products cost more, they support SDHC with the Neo2 Pro so you can store more games that way than on KRIKzz' flash carts.

Message KRIKzz on ASSEMBLER.

also you probably should have mentioned that his Everdrive for megadrive does more than just play roms, it also doubles as a region unlock for SCD

also he's working on a Everdrive for N64 atm as well

oRBIT2002

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The flashproducts these days really needs a nicelooking GUI. Even the old copiers (Super Wildcard/magicom etc.) from the '90s had GUI's.

jurai

Trophies
XP
Country
oRBIT2002 said:
The flashproducts these days really needs a nicelooking GUI. Even the old copiers (Super Wildcard/magicom etc.) from the '90s had GUI's.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdWsFpVall0[/youtube]

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TwinRetro said:
samagon said:
FFS it's Ukraine not the Ukraine. You don't run around saying the Uruguay, do you now?

No, but people do say The United States, or The Soviet Union, or The Caribbean, etc...

It's not unheard of, so quit being such a grammar nazi.

Part of my family is Ukrainian and they all call it "The Ukraine" in English.

EDIT: But no it's not right. You should only use the article with plural or compound nation names.

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurai said:
oRBIT2002 said:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdWsFpVall0[/youtube]

You could at least let people know who is developing this, don't try to mislead them into thinking this is KIRKzz's cart.

This cart is developed by marshallh, over at benheck/ASSEMblergames. I've spoken to him on AIM lately, and it seems things are going well with the cart, hopefully it'll be sold soon.

Marshall's cart will own the hell out of KRIKzz's cart, due to one reason, the use of compact flash! SD is horrible for the N64, and it's slow when it comes to the N64. KRIKzz is stuck in the past using SD with everything, and he's using SD on his N64 project, he even said so over at ASSEMbler.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
C-Kronos said:
Marshall's cart will own the hell out of KRIKzz's cart, due to one reason, the use of compact flash! SD is horrible for the N64, and it's slow when it comes to the N64. KRIKzz is stuck in the past using SD with everything, and he's using SD on his N64 project, he even said so over at ASSEMbler.

I'm certain a Wii iso needs much faster transfer speeds than a N64 cartridge. I think the problems with SD card speeds is really down to implementation, I have some bloody fast SD/HC cards that work slow as hell in some devices (mp3 players, some phones).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    light27 @ light27: and i was really REALLY bad at coding +1