Kodi for Wii U - xbox method

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by magelof, Dec 29, 2016.

1. magelof
    OP

magelof Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2006
    United States
    I understand tht a port for Kodi to Wii U is impossible/not happening. The same thing goes for the Xbox One. Here's the method for getting Kodi on Xbox One:

"Basically, you can't install Kodi onto the Xbox One itself. Instead, you must have Kodi installed on some kind of streaming box, stick, or home theater PC, and then plug that into the Xbox One HDMI In as if it was your cable box."

So would it be possible to get an hdmi splitter (or a usb to hdmi converter) + an amazon firestick and effectively switch over to Kodi while in Wii U mode? Would it be difficult to program something like this?

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Why would it be impossible to straight-up port Kodi? The Wii U is similar enough to the XB360 that it should just be a matter of porting XBMC

neim81094 likes this.
  3. BeastMode6

BeastMode6 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2015
    United States
    AFAIK Kodi is no longer being updated to work on the PowerPC architecture. Also, there never was a version of Kodi (or XBMC) for the Xbox 360.
    This post makes very little sense. First, a Kodi port for Xbox One would not be impossible, in fact if the system was modified to run unsigned code, it would be stupidly easy to port over, knowing that the Xbox One uses an x86 architecture similar to nearly every PC out there. Also, if I'm not mistaken the Xbox One runs a modified version of Windows, making the porting process even easier. I'm not an actual developer, but this seems to be my understanding of the situation. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Secondly, the last part of your post doesn't make any sense. If you have a fire stick, why would you want to output it through your Wii U? Just plug it into another port on your TV if you have one?

Last edited by BeastMode6, Dec 29, 2016
  4. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    so an xbox one can run osx, because i can plug in my hdmi cable from my mac to the the hdmi in... (no)

it's not the same as really running it. wiiu doesn't have hdmi in so it's not possible.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. A Plus Ric

A Plus Ric GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2014
    United States
    Tablets run Kodi.....,why would the WiiU need it? Also, firesticks are like 50 bucks and can install it with a little work. Fuck systems running it.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  6. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Rip me

I need to learn my console hacking history lol

7. Insidious611

Insidious611 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2010
    United States
    So I'm seeing a lot of misunderstanding here. The reason the outlined "method" "works" for an Xbox One is that the Xbox One has a DVR built in, and has both an HDMI in and HDMI out ports. This is unique among consoles, though lots of home theater hardware does this already. This in no way means that the Xbox One is "running" Kodi, it means that the Xbox One is essentially functioning as a TV and passing the HDMI signal through. This is essentially useless for stuff like this unless you are really starved for HDMI ports on your TV or too lazy to reach for your remote.

What you are asking is basically the equivalent of asking if you could duct tape a microphone to a car stereo and make a cellphone out of it. This is just not the way things work. An HDMI splitter would not enable the WiiU to somehow be able to take and process an HDMI input, and as far as "USB to HDMI", you're either talking about some sort of capture device (which the WiiU would have no idea how to talk to) or some sort of USB video card solution (which, again, would be output instead of input, the WiiU would still have no idea how to talk to it, etc.) a straight "USB to HDMI converter" doesn't exist for the same reason you can't turn your urine into gold nuggets.

tl;dr: It's not just difficult, it is literally physically impossible.

Last edited by Insidious611, Jan 2, 2017
    CreeperMario and BeastMode6 like this.