Hardware Kiosk Nintendo Switch Stuck on Video Loop

EsquireFox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently acquired a complete Nintendo Switch kiosk that came with the kiosk (Quest) Switch console. When booting up the console, it briefly displays the demo menu before it automatically starts playing a set of videos on loop. There's no audio for these videos and controller input does not bring me back to the demo menu. This appears to be a COVID measure, since the controllers are meant to be covered anyways. Looking at maintenance mode (recovery mode), the system is running version 11.0.1, which I believe is the current version.

image01.jpg 169045042_1674645286077986_8691348114098099749_n.jpg image0.jpg

I'd like to get this back to a state where I can navigate the demo menu and play various demos / videos on demand. With that in mind, I have some questions.
  1. If I wait for an update that restores functionality to the console, will I be able to install it? I've heard whispers of IP whitelists and vendor-only networks being required for updating via WiFi. There's also the update cartridge, but I certainly won't be able to get ahold of one of those.
  2. Is the video loop a consequence of the current system version or is this some kind of default behavior for when there are only videos available; with no demos installed? I ask this because the single second glimpse I get of the demo menu doesn't show "Demo" under any of the titles.
  3. If updating the console in the future is not viable, is there a way I can hack the device to install demos or force a lower version, bypassing the e-fuse check? I have the microSD card that came with it, but I'm not sure what it contains or whether backing it up and using a different card could give me a safety net to fall back on.
Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

straferz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You might be able to resolve this issue by homebrewing the console. However, Nintendo is very strict when it comes to the hacking of their current consoles, and doing that will disable online play exclusively on that console, which shouldn't be an issue I imagine.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, arent' the odds that a recent kiosk device could be Mariko or iPatched? Homebrew may not be an option.

I also recall some caution that you have to be careful what you do with quest units and homebrew, like existing tools aren't really built for it and you could cause a brick if you aren't careful.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

EsquireFox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Online play and eShop access won't be an issue; the console will never have access to either of those. It'll remain paired with the kiosk and will be used exclusively with the installed videos and demos. I'm just trying to find a way to get it out of this video mode lock.

The serial number on the console puts it within the middle of the XAW1 unpatched range. I'd imagine most of these Quest consoles were manufactured close to launch. But the risk of bricking the console or losing its content is why I'm approaching this with caution. I'm willing to wait for safer solutions to surface if needed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1