Gaming Kingdom Hearts 3D: I can't

nikkuchan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, Kingdom Hearts 3D came out last week in Japan, and it's been getting huge reception here. I haven't played much KH, but I always planned to. Anyway, I took a look at this game and thought "yay! I can get this game early!" But no... Normally I'm fine with the Japanese versions and prefer them (From what I've seen of the Kid Icarus English version, it looks amazingly lame), but not Disney. KH is probably the only game series I'd refuse the play in Japanese. I didn't grow up in Japan, and the Japanese voices of all the iconic characters are not only not nostalgic, but off-putting (Winnie the Pooh sounds like a creepy old man). The English version has, at least to me, the real voices of the characters. This is authenticity that is worth a lot...

That, and the Japanese Donald Duck is nearly impossible to understand.

riceball7852

A person with a life.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's this thread supposed to be about? Sound like a rant...
BTW KH: 3DS will have an official US release date on July 31, 2012, it's around the corner!

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, Kingdom Hearts 3D came out last week in Japan, and it's been getting huge reception here. I haven't played much KH, but I always planned to. Anyway, I took a look at this game and thought "yay! I can get this game early!" But no... Normally I'm fine with the Japanese versions and prefer them (From what I've seen of the Kid Icarus English version, it looks amazingly lame), but not Disney. KH is probably the only game series I'd refuse the play in Japanese. I didn't grow up in Japan, and the Japanese voices of all the iconic characters are not only not nostalgic, but off-putting (Winnie the Pooh sounds like a creepy old man). The English version has, at least to me, the real voices of the characters. This is authenticity that is worth a lot...

That, and the Japanese Donald Duck is nearly impossible to understand.

i fail to see the point

also donald duck is hard to understand in all languages

Reactions: 7 people

nikkuchan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm talking about language differences in games. It's a bigger thing than a lot of people (at least those who have replied to this thread) know. There are many people who are adamant to have certain things a certain way. A Japanese game getting released in the US is a good thing, but sometimes the only option is to put op with an often substandard English vocalization. Other mediums offer multiple choices. If you buy an anime DVD or BR, you can watch it in English or in Japanese, but that option does not exist in many games. People say that it increases costs, but as a translator, I know that adding subtitles to a game barely costs anything, and the price to keep that in after dubbing a game, even if it costs an extra disc, it's barely a cost at all (in this case, the 3DS cart is capable of having multiple languages. Look at RE Revelations, it has voices for multiple languages).

This is what I'm talking about. People have preferences with their games just like everything else.

Also, the Kid Icarus English version replaces a lot of the dialogue with silly jokes. Why they couldn't translate the original dialogue is a bit beyond me.

LTK

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah well I see what you are talking about. I am not much of a "weaboo" or thinking everything Japanese is better than western stuff, but I find that a lot of English dubs to Japanese products are subpar at best..I agree with you that an option to have subtitles with Japanese voices would be great. I can recall a few games that have had that treatment in the past but not many.

riceball7852

A person with a life.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking about language differences in games. It's a bigger thing than a lot of people (at least those who have replied to this thread) know. There are many people who are adamant to have certain things a certain way. A Japanese game getting released in the US is a good thing, but sometimes the only option is to put op with an often substandard English vocalization. Other mediums offer multiple choices. If you buy an anime DVD or BR, you can watch it in English or in Japanese, but that option does not exist in many games. People say that it increases costs, but as a translator, I know that adding subtitles to a game barely costs anything, and the price to keep that in after dubbing a game, even if it costs an extra disc, it's barely a cost at all (in this case, the 3DS cart is capable of having multiple languages. Look at RE Revelations, it has voices for multiple languages).

This is what I'm talking about. People have preferences with their games just like everything else.

Also, the Kid Icarus English version replaces a lot of the dialogue with silly jokes. Why they couldn't translate the original dialogue is a bit beyond me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you prefer the vocals of KH: 3DS as English dub, whereas you want the subtitles in the scenes in Japanese text?
You might have to (hopefully) wait that they make KH: 3DS 'Final Mix' (Final Mix suits all of your preferences).

BTW: What does "It's a bigger thing than a lot of people (at least those who have replied to this thread) know." mean anyways?
All we ever asked was what was the point of this thread?

Argyle

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.argylebox.com
XP
Country
United States

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dialogue for Kid Icarus Uprising, whether it is English or Japanese, is silly jokes. The game goes out of its way to be as serious as possible about being completely unserious. Nintendo takes a lot of care in its IP and wouldn't do a hack job on its translation process.

If the Goddess Palutena and Pit are talking about blogging and slightly botched laser eye surgery in the English version, I'm willing to bet it's the same in the Japanese version. That is the direction that this title has taken.

Now as far as voice acting goes, yeah I can see the point that you are bringing up here. Growing up with characters that have destinct voices and playing/watching them speak another language done by a different voice actor in a different style would ruin an experience for me if I was familiar with the original. It'd be like listening to Elmer Fudd trying to stutter in German (auf deutsch!?) and it just feeling wrong.

Reactions: 2 people

nikkuchan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dialogue for Kid Icarus Uprising, whether it is English or Japanese, is silly jokes. The game goes out of its way to be as serious as possible about being completely unserious. Nintendo takes a lot of care in its IP and wouldn't do a hack job on its translation process.

If the Goddess Palutena and Pit are talking about blogging and slightly botched laser eye surgery in the English version, I'm willing to bet it's the same in the Japanese version. That is the direction that this title has taken.

The silly banter in Japanese is very very good. The way it was done in English (from what I've heard from videos and whatnot) just doesn't seem to work for me. A lot of jokes were changed (some for good reason because of cultural differences, and some for no reason I could see), and I also noticed little added jokes where there was just regular dialogue in Japanese. It's alright, but like foreign films or anime, people have preferences concerning the language of spoken dialogue, and I dislike that you have no choice in the matter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yeah so true