SilentRevolt

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
According to several Xbox 360 users on the official Xbox Forums, Kinect has been causing problems for them. Most notably being the dreaded Red Ring of Dead (RROD).

Let's not pretend here. The Xbox 360 has without a doubt seen some pretty tough times over the past few years when it comes to hardware. The dreaded RROD was a fault known worldwide -- you didn't even need to know much about the Xbox 360 at the time, it was talked about a lot.

The RROD was mostly found on the older Xbox 360 models. The console's GPU would overheat, which caused it to automatically shut down. The next time the user turned it on, three red rings would be displayed on the "Rings of Life", located around the power button. Once a console has the dreaded Red Rings, it will no longer work.

Several complaints made via the official Xbox forums suggest that Kinect is causing older Xbox 360 models to get the Red Rings. There have actually been quite a few topics created on this matter, with nearly every single post being marked as "popular", receiving thousands of views, and hundreds of responses -- some even complaining about the same matter.

There isn't any solid proof that Kinect is to blame for these issues, the consoles might be dying of old age. You can find several of the complaints via the source.

Xbox Forum

Source

S

spectral

This is exactly the same thing as when people blame whatever the last game they played causing the RROD. No matter what game they were playing, with or without kinect they would have got the RROD.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
its just speculation based on a few forum posts
this isnt news
Lol and if you actually go to the forum and read the posts complaining about kinect rrod's are filled with people refuting the claims. This is shitty "journalism" and definately not news.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
old news i knew this already i even knew it before kinect was released that it would do this
stupidfaceh.jpg

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I think a new piece of hardware could cause complications if older models weren't made powerful enough to support the use of a peripheral device.

Either way, until masses of old 360's start biting the dust with the RROD right after using the Kinect for a short while, it really is just placing the blame for something that was going to happen anyways.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Nathan Drake said:
I think a new piece of hardware could cause complications if older models weren't made powerful enough to support the use of a peripheral device.
I'd support this if the Kinect wasn't powered by a seperate PSU on non-slim Xbox Models. On top of this the Xbox is still just doing the rendering and a bit of input registering. The Kinect is what see and interprets the movements so its unlikely to be making the Xbox work too hard. No extra load on PSU, no extra load on CPU/GPU=no extra heat.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Of course it can cause RRoD issues on older Xbox 360 models. Everything causes RRoD on the older models. It has nothing to do Kinect itself, its purely a matter of the longer you use a 360 (both in terms of play that day, and throughout your consoles life cycle), the hotter it gets inside and the more the motherboard warps causing the GPU to become separated from the board. That is why every time a new game got released (GTAIV, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, etc), a thousand people would scream RRoD. If all you did was put a DVD in and leave it running for 4 hours, even that could cause RRoD in said models if they were on the precipice. Its not a Kinect issue, its a "original Xbox 360s can't take extended use" issue.

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Clearly this is just a case of people not understanding the technical side of things before they start placing blame. The cause of the RROD has been known for absolutely years and is in no way linked to a USB device)

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The older xbox models just kinda sucked when it comes to longevity....its either RROD or E74 take your pick...they both suck

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Major nelson posted there maybe problems with non-slims using knect before it's release and none of you believed it.

Yes a few miss prints of a few games have caused xb360 damage. It's extreamely rare though. Early copies of halo 3 for example. One out of 10 thousand copies of the first batch cuz dvd drive failure.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
Major nelson posted there maybe problems with non-slims using knect before it's release and none of you believed it.
No he didn't. At least not that I am aware of, it would be an incredibly stupid thing, especially for him, to say. Got a link?
QUOTEYes a few miss prints of a few games have caused xb360 damage.
Again, no there wasn't. Even if a disc were "misprinted" it would not cause a drastic hardware failure, they wouldn't be readable by the DVD drive, and if they were the worst that would happen is it would cause an innocuous crash, but again, not drastic hardware failure or cause the solder on the GPU to word and disconnect, that is what causes RROD. I would love to see a source/link for this misprinted DVD business.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)