The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Introduction

Hello, Zantigo here to give you yet another long topic to stare at dully and wait for the rushing waves of my wisdom to come pounding at your skull. Now, I know a certain connoiseur is much better at the game then me and while I may not be the best player, or even an especially grand one, I do have a few tips and such to pass on to people who are new to the game. I am open to critism, just keep it helpful ok?

Now, on to the guide itself. What I am going to show is...

-How to get on to multiplayer
-What kinds of weapons you should use
-How to (hopefully) keep from dying
-How to work with your team while holding your own
-And much more! (this means I have no idea what it is, but I will be adding to it :P)

I do hope you learn from this and once again, if you do see something wrong or inaccurate, or just flat out bad advice (this is my first guide :P) please, check to see if anyone else already addressed it and then leave a post.

PART I- The basics and terminology.

First, in order to play multiplayer you have to get there first. All you do is start up your game and select your game file and go to the main menu and touch "Together" if have a friend nearby with the game you can go a round in "Nearby" or if you want to take on the world, just choose "Far Away" once there just pick a gamemode and weapon set and your off!

Now, while getting there is easy, PLAYING is a whole 'nother beast. So I must advise you before you play to try and meet the following terms, while these are suggested I must tell you that you WILL do much better if you meet them.

-Beat the first 10 chapters, trust me, if you do you wont regret it.

-Make sure you have atlest 2 of each weapon class, not only will this give you a chance to figure out whats your favorite class, but it will give you some diversity when you begin encoutering other players with different styles.

-Get used to the controls, if your able to move the camera and yourself dynamicly then different actions become easier.

-Make sure that you have atleast one weapon with over 200 in value, even though value has little bearing on how well the weapon performs in battle, most weapons with useful modifiers have over 200 value.

If you do these I promise that whether you have played for 2 weeks or 2 months your going to do good.

Terms.

These are a few terms (that I know :/) how different tactics and movements in the Kid Icarus Community (like those crazy people in GameFaQs or 3DS Forums)

Fox-troting (I call it "Burst-Dashing" but whatever.)

Used to describe a tactic for faster movements for players with slower/heavier weapons, to do it you tap the circle pad as if to go into a dash and then let go and tap again. Since you move 3x's (dont ask how I know that) a quick in the few frames at the beginning of a dash, it lets slower players move as quick as a Claw or Palm user at the cost of double the stamina.

Tanking

Used to describe a tactic (most in the MMO communities but it works in KI also.) in which a player with high defence or high shot cancellation, deflect, reflect, or distract other players from a key player (usually an angel)

Rushing (or as I call it, "Leroy Jenkins mode")

A term for a tactic in which a player (usually with an awesome Arm) rushes into a defensive (like a reflect shield) and pretty much beats the crap out of anyone there.

Part II- Weapons and Powers
The first thing that should be said, THERE IS NO ULTIMATE WEAPON OR AMAZING POWER, unless you are able to use it that way, so keep in mind, the following are to help newer players know where to look for their style. Its also important to know when I talk about a Class im refering to it as a whole.

Weapon Classes, these are the various categories that your weapons go into, such as Blades, Claws, Orbitars and Palms.

Blades
These are the most basic weapons of all, because of this not only are they always reliable and useful, but they don't quite specalize in anything, meaning few people actually rush to use them in multiplayer.
However, even though Blades lack specialty, they rise in versatility making them useful for attacking just as much as defending. Some suggestions for Blades would be to use them to support your teams heaviest hitters, or to take out weakened foes in FFA (Free for All), either way its a good weapon to use to support rather then as a flat-out offensive or defensive weapon.

Some personal favorites of mine are the Gaol and First blades due to the balance they have, but I would recommend Samurai, Burst and Palutena Blades to users who wish to carry out attacks in quick bursts, rather then weather the opponents down like the Bullet and Arum blades require. Dont get me started on how much Royal blades suck...

Claws
Claws are weapons more oriented to "Hit-and-Run" tactics, in which the player does one or two quick strikes before preparing for evasion or fleeing, and light melee combat. Claws excel best when used on the move dynamically since they are not good for "Tanking" (see part III or Clubs) or leading rush attacks. While claws are not the best weapons for melee, Arms and Clubs out do them in that department, they are well oriented to players who want to move across the battlefield effectively and do decent damage. They are mostly oriented to offensive combat and are not good for defensive but are handy in some cases of supporting other players. In LvD they make good weapons for weakening a defensive or distracting others from your Angel, In FFA its best used in a similar style to Blades, to take out weakened players or move across the battlefield confusing targets.

A favorite of most of the Kid Icarus Community are the Beam and Pandora claws, which are both love for their amazing range and close combat ability. However, my favorite (and "Flagship" if you will,) weapon is the Stealth Claws, due to the default ability of having invisible shots and having an effective rapid fire. I know a few people also love Artillery since they have amazing rapid and charge shots and good range but they fail in melee combat. Tiger and Wolf claws are recommended for a nice balance, and Brawlers are ideal for the aforementioned "Hit-and-Run" tactics.

Clubs
Think of Clubs like Tanks in a less literal sense. Clubs fire massive projectiles that destroy almost anything in their way but at a heavy re-charge cost. (The exceptions being the Halo and Babel clubs which take a lighter, faster approach) They have amazing shot cancellation with projectiles in melee range, this lets most clubs be extremely effective in close or short range combat, but also good in long range with the ability most clubs posses of being able to fly through walls. This makes clubs the best "Tanking" weapons in the whole game. In LvD its recommended that Club users lead the rush by taking care of more dangerous players (those guys with like, 310+ value weapons who are all like, "Libra Sponge + Super Armor, amirite?") and take a few hits for Angels. In FFA, well... im not quite sure what to "do" but I would say run around bashing all the head you can.

Sadly, I cant really recommend any especially good clubs since I avoid all of them except the Magnus, which is AMAZING for melee. I do know Earthmauls are great for long range and Skyscrapers deal brutal damage. (This is where someone posts about all the awesome clubs and I quote them >_>)

-Im going to cut it here for a while, but ill finish the rest of the categories soon.-

Reactions: 4 people

Seaking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"What kinds of weapons you should use"

use any weapon you feel is good, thats what i do.

i sometimes get 10/0 with other players too. me getting 10 kills and not dieing once.

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"What kinds of weapons you should use"

use any weapon you feel is good, thats what i do.

i sometimes get 10/0 with other players too. me getting 10 kills and not dieing once.
I'm not going to flat out tell you what to use, I'm just going to give pointers to weapons most players seem to like based on different play strategies. Its an on-going thing since even I am still learning.

isaac52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of... simplistic and common sense.

Aside from what kind of weapons to use (which isn't even really true) everything is just common logic.

Even within weapon classes, weapons can vary greatly in their purposes and inherent synergy with a player. I.e compact arm, a ranged cont. fireweapon vs taurus. A melee weapon vs end-all arm, a multi-star weapon.

Some real pointers would be to learn to foxtrot. It increases your mobility, inherent evasion, and versatility for all weapons you'll be running and not walking with, but aren't quite brawler claws with speed+4. It's also great for when you're the angel, as you're usually weighted with a slow weapon. So this helps you move faster, and due to the dashes, will give you a chance to dodge some shots you don't even see.
Or to learn the maps, good hiding places, and general knowledge of it to abuse. I.e angels could be using those hiding spots, so check those out if they're not in view.

Not to be a jerk, but this "play the game and get better!" type guide doesn't seem very helpful...

Reactions: 2 people

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Some real pointers would be to learn to foxtrot. It increases your mobility, inherent evasion, and versatility
What's that? :blink:
Not to be a jerk, but this "play the game and get better!" type guide doesn't seem very helpful...
Not to be a jerk's jerk, but he did say this is his first guide... and that he'd add to it in the future. ;)

Plus, quite a few of the things he says might be apparent to "more seasoned veterans" like us, but definitely not to those newer to the game. Sure, maybe some of it is common sense, but common sense tends to be a bit uncommon these days. :P

@[member='Zantigo'], You forgot to add "get a thumb stylus" to the list. :D

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some real pointers would be to learn to foxtrot. It increases your mobility, inherent evasion, and versatility
What's that? :blink:
Not to be a jerk's jerk, but he did say this is his first guide... and that he'd add to it in the future. ;)

Plus, quite a few of the things he says might be apparent to "more seasoned veterans" like us, but definitely not to those newer to the game. Sure, maybe some of it is common sense, but common sense tends to be a bit uncommon these days. :P

@[member='Zantigo'], You forgot to add "get a thumb stylus" to the list. :D
@[member='Issac']
I was going to add to it today, I started it pretty late last night so thats why I just did part one. Plus, I literally was going to add every single thing you just said. Wait till I finish the guide before you go and judge it so harshly ok? :U

@[member='watchman']
That was going to be added in another section but I guess I could stick it in the first part.

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
@[member='watchman']
That was going to be added in another section but I guess I could stick it in the first part.
Wrong user tagged, dude. :P Anyway, I'm not saying it has to be in the first part at all, I was just a little surprised you haven't mentioned it. It's your guide, do it however you want. ;)

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Aside from what kind of weapons to use (which isn't even really true) everything is just common logic.

Even within weapon classes, weapons can vary greatly in their purposes and inherent synergy with a player. I.e compact arm, a ranged cont. fireweapon vs taurus. A melee weapon vs end-all arm, a multi-star weapon.

Some real pointers would be to learn to foxtrot. It increases your mobility, inherent evasion, and versatility for all weapons you'll be running and not walking with, but aren't quite brawler claws with speed+4. It's also great for when you're the angel, as you're usually weighted with a slow weapon. So this helps you move faster, and due to the dashes, will give you a chance to dodge some shots you don't even see.
Or to learn the maps, good hiding places, and general knowledge of it to abuse. I.e angels could be using those hiding spots, so check those out if they're not in view.

I agree. This is the type of game where you learn as you go. Not only weapon-wise but also how you'll play against the others. You'll need to learn how to assess any situation and use it to your advantage. Learn every arena so you'll know good places to shoot or attack while being undetected or just plain hide yourself.
I would also recommend familiarizing yourself with most weapon types, as being a master of one weapon type isn't going to cut it in this game. You'll need to experiment most weapon types. And of course, experiment the weapons you seem interesting and customize them to your adavntage. If that doesn't work, customize them furthur. That's what the fusion system is for.
And of course, like Isaac said learn how to foxtrot. It increases mobility and evasion, however you may tire yourself quicker so you cannot abuse it.

Seaking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Learn every arena so you'll know good places to shoot or attack while being undetected
or do what i did and get the Prima guide and abuse the item drops like hell (pretty easy to learn the item drops without the guide too FYI), then play keep-away with the daybreak stuff.

oh, i almost forgot about my PvP weapon, will take a picture of it.

EDIT: my weapon http://i.imgur.com/19rVH.jpg

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Learn every arena so you'll know good places to shoot or attack while being undetected
or do what i did and get the Prima guide and abuse the item drops like hell (pretty easy to learn the item drops without the guide too FYI), then play keep-away with the daybreak stuff.

oh, i almost forgot about my PvP weapon, will take a picture of it.

EDIT: my weapon http://i.imgur.com/19rVH.jpg
...It's good to familiarize yourself with the items but I wouldn't depend too much on them.

Seaking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...It's good to familiarize yourself with the items but I wouldn't depend too much on them.
its still good to be able to snipe an item from someone, and if someone has really low health and you have a bomb item, BAMB they are dead.

the one downside to Item Vacuum (the green icon i have) if you wanna not die, you have to not use it too much, unless you feel lucky. thats how i sometimes get 10/0 on games with other players.

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
its still good to be able to snipe an item from someone, and if someone has really low health and you have a bomb item, BAMB they are dead.

the one downside to Item Vacuum (the green icon i have) if you wanna not die, you have to not use it too much, unless you feel lucky. thats how i sometimes get 10/0 on games with other players.
... Maybe, but I'm someone that doesn't use items that much. So thst doesn't bother me. I pretty much get the same amount of kill ratio with using the weapons that are very well customized in my favor.
Not only that, I find most items very ez to counter.

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I find most items very ez to counter.
most items are, BESIDES THE DAYBREAK :D!
Aries armor, breif invincibiliity, playing dead, bumblebee, all say hi.
In fact, a very smart player would use Aries armor + Libra sponge to return the power you used against you.

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bumblebee
I'm honestly a bit confused by Bumblebee... I've read the description, equipped and used it in matches, and I see no special ability or difference in performance that it triggers. What exactly is it supposed to do?
You get hit, you automatically dodge and circle an enemy. It's one of the greatest powers in the game for melee oriented weapons. Not only that, it can be used for staves users to run away effectively if you combine it with warp. It's great for lots weapons actually, melee or ranged because it effectively can piss someone off.

isaac52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I agree. This is the type of game where you learn as you go. Not only weapon-wise but also how you'll play against the others. You'll need to learn how to assess any situation and use it to your advantage. Learn every arena so you'll know good places to shoot or attack while being undetected or just plain hide yourself.
I would also recommend familiarizing yourself with most weapon types, as being a master of one weapon type isn't going to cut it in this game. You'll need to experiment most weapon types. And of course, experiment the weapons you seem interesting and customize them to your adavntage. If that doesn't work, customize them furthur. That's what the fusion system is for.
And of course, like Isaac said learn how to foxtrot. It increases mobility and evasion, however you may tire yourself quicker so you cannot abuse it.

Fox trot when done properly actually makes you move farther, quicker, and eats less stamina(at least when used on a proper weapon. The slower the weapon is inherently, the more it helps. ). You must be confusing fox trotting for just mashing the dash command.

Example: My speed-4 eyetracks can only go 70 meters running before tiring out. With fox trotting, they go 110. As well as being just plain faster. This is why I'm starting to believe speed-4 to be one of the best modifiers for ranged weapons, as it removes a whopping 30 value. Vastly increasing your overall potential, while not really hurting your weapon unless it's something like a palm, or standing cont. fire weapon.

Also focusing on items is only worth it if you have an item attack mod... as well as use double item. In fact, on a fast weapon like brawler claws (hence where people get the idea of greedy claws from) you don't even really need item vaccuum as you'll be moving so fast. But with item attack +4, stuff like the grenade, up bomb, atlass foot, etc usually OHKO.

There's no real ground for it being superior, or inferior to some other battle oriented weapons. But it's DAMNED fun. Double item is what makes it ridiculous, setting up two medusa heads, two laser eyes, two poison clouds, two up bombs, etc is just crazy. And it happens more than you'd think, but you will need to learn how to properly abuse items. You might also want to try for a FHB mod for more speed, as you'll be able to sustain it better with all the food you should be getting.

Anyway, like I said i meant no harm. However, you should've held your enthusiasm at bay until you could actually make a helpful guide. Though the overall idea is entirely noble and I hope you continue it if done properly.

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Fox trot when done properly actually makes you move farther, quicker, and eats less stamina(at least when used on a proper weapon. The slower the weapon is inherently, the more it helps. ). You must be confusing fox trotting for just mashing the dash command.

Example: My speed-4 eyetracks can only go 70 meters running before tiring out. With fox trotting, they go 110. As well as being just plain faster. This is why I'm starting to believe speed-4 to be one of the best modifiers for ranged weapons, as it removes a whopping 30 value. Vastly increasing your overall potential, while not really hurting your weapon unless it's something like a palm, or standing cont. fire weapon.

Also focusing on items is only worth it if you have an item attack mod... as well as use double item. In fact, on a fast weapon like brawler claws (hence where people get the idea of greedy claws from) you don't even really need item vaccuum as you'll be moving so fast. But with item attack +4, stuff like the grenade, up bomb, atlass foot, etc usually OHKO.

There's no real ground for it being superior, or inferior to some other battle oriented weapons. But it's DAMNED fun. Double item is what makes it ridiculous, setting up two medusa heads, two laser eyes, two poison clouds, two up bombs, etc is just crazy. And it happens more than you'd think, but you will need to learn how to properly abuse items. You might also want to try for a FHB mod for more speed, as you'll be able to sustain it better with all the food you should be getting.

Anyway, like I said i meant no harm. However, you should've held your enthusiasm at bay until you could actually make a helpful guide. Though the overall idea is entirely noble and I hope you continue it if done properly.
That's true. I tried double item and DAMN it was fun duplicating powerful items.
Also for your foxtrot, like you said, the stamina will really depends on the weapon you're using. It is good on eyetracks.

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You cant be fucking serious. What about the fact that it is not finished is so hard for you to understand? If you don't find it helpful then why do you continue to post here? My good man, this guide was not intended for "Pros" nor even people who finisheid the game. I cant understand helpful critique but you continue to insult it. If you don't like my guide then suggest what I could do to improve, don't flat out insult it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.