Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
most people would want b=jump, y=shoot. So just have an ini file or something you can edit to set the controls how you want them.
I don't mean to offend you or anyone else if I sound too harsh, but why do people use, let alone like, this set up?
(I absolutely LOVE the idea of a configurable settings file that way EVERYONE can have a set up they like, and barring a setup file make an option that is saved that switches between B/A and Y/B)

It's the default for NesDS too and it pisses me off. I find it so uncomfortable and unnatural. With your thumb on the B button (often the main button), your thumb will most likely touch the A button, making it easy to hit the button with a slight roll of your thumb.
With the Y Shoot and B jump (essentially the NES controller rotated 90* clockwise), with your thumb on the Y, you'd have to bend your thumb down at the knuckle to press B which, for me, strains the joint that the thumb connects to the hand.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
personuser said:
most people would want b=jump, y=shoot. So just have an ini file or something you can edit to set the controls how you want them.
I don't mean to offend you or anyone else if I sound too harsh, but why do people use, let alone like, this set up?

I was a kid that grew up with a SNES.

See the controller layout of the SNES?

snes-controller.jpg

See the controller layout of a DS?

nintendo_ds_lite2x.jpg

They're practically the same button layout.

And on my snes games (at least in ones where you jump and attack) B was ALWAYS jump and Y was ALWAYS attack. I suppose it's just something some of us are used to - pretty much the same reason you might not like a NES game's controls because B jumps and A attacks, since we're so used to the opposite - by no means is either bad, but we've come to accept one as being far more common than the other, and so when the other is used, it is a bit frustrating if we can't change it to what we like.

I will say though, I have nothing against a=jump, x=attack, as it is pretty much just BY but above (and also what I use in lameboy since lameboy doesn't like BY).

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
Guys, it will have configurable controls. Having configurable controls would not occupy more than 8 bytes of data anyways.

I'm not too sure that saving the control layout on SD would work for everyone though since AFAIK the sudokuhax exploit does not support filesystems.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
SOS-Rens said:
Ok I placed all the tiles in this Tileset it's still Truecolor because I don't know how to change it xD:
tilesetr.png

I will add it the the project post
the size is now 256x256 but can it also be 256x??? or must X=Y

Thanks!!! Will use this in the engine I'm working on.

The size can be of any size as long as the dimensions is a power of 2.

ie. 2 x 4, 8 x 2, 256 x 128, 128 x 256, 64 x 512, 512 x 8, etc.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
Okay, as promised here's the basic engine. I was too busy spending my winnings from the Nintendomax compo in the past days. ;*)

http://jafile.com/uploads/relminator/platformtest.zip

It uses some of the tiles you made but the map has a really stupid design. I suck at making maps.

I'll be on the GBAtemp irc channel for any members(of this project) wanting to play with this engine. Yes you can load your own maps and tiles made in mappy with it but you'd prolly need some instructions.

GbaTemp chat:
http://gbatemp.net/d62-gbatemp-chatroom

Cya there.

KuRensan

aka Pearbook
OP
Trophies
Website
intheseaofclouds.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Awesome, even walking with a box is fun xD finally the project made some progress ^^ I think I'm going to try to add Stage 1-1 to test some stuff ^^ (I hope Devkitpro will work on a mac) and I will make the Playable character (not sure how to do it but I think without lines and add some shading)

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
SOS-Rens said:
Awesome, even walking with a box is fun xD finally the project made some progress ^^ I think I'm going to try to add Stage 1-1 to test some stuff ^^ (I hope Devkitpro will work on a mac) and I will make the Playable character (not sure how to do it but I think without lines and add some shading)

Yep it works on a mac.

BTW, I'm still on the gbatemp channel.

Also on

server: irc.blitzed.net Channel: #dsdev

Name's still relminator on both channels.

I want to discuss:

Parallax levels
Pit movment (should we make him run, fly etc)

And well, mappy idiosyncracies.
;*)

KuRensan

aka Pearbook
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
relminator said:
SOS-Rens said:

Yep it works on a mac.

BTW, I'm still on the gbatemp channel.

Also on

server: irc.blitzed.net Channel: #dsdev

Name's still relminator on both channels.

I want to discuss:

Parallax levels
Pit movment (should we make him run, fly etc)

And well, mappy idiosyncracies.
;*)

ICR Hmm never used it before so it can take a while ^^ :S
EDIT: I'm in irc.gbatemp.net now
tongue.gif

KuRensan

aka Pearbook
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
relminator said:
Engine Update:

DL:

http://jafile.com/uploads/relminator/platformtest_4maps.zip

Pit can now run from left to right and vice versa.
4 types of maps (I compiled an example for each).
Pit sprite.
Some collision fixes.

Issues:

Platform Edge collision.

Enjoy!

Rens: I'll DL your map an upload a new demo with a shooting Pit maybe tomorrow.

Dude!! This demo made my smile
biggrin.gif
I will make level 1-1 (tried it a few times but while resizing the map I lost it -_-)
I also will make the character movement better ^-^ I have 2 our free now so I will start now

KuRensan

aka Pearbook
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
Help Wanted:

I still need a bigger team and at this moment more Pixel artist ^^ because I need a lot of graphic before we can do the mapping. People I really need now:

- Spriter (Only need 1 because I don't want 2 different styles)
Info:
making the monsters, Pit and some NPC's like the shop owner ect

- Pixel artist
Info:
I still need stuff for the titlescreen, Font (I was thinking about white with black around it),Items (hearts, potions ect)
WORLD MAP - I need someone to make world maps. So you can replay stages (look at project page for stage environment)

Sources:
Some helpfull sources:
All the sprites and objects
I also found this picture:
kidsprite.png

do not steal it (I didn't made it, I only wanted to show it)

I really like it but I don't want to steal(and it's to big ^^) so can someone make something like this in 16x32 also for the monsters and don't use more than 16 Colors (so make/use a color palette) [and do not revamp to much]

Check the project post sometimes because I'm having a lot conversation with my Developer about the graphics

You can reach me via GBATemp IRC and GBATemp itself (PM)

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
SOS-Rens: I've had some coding time today.

New stuff:

1. Pit can now shoot
2. Normal and wave shots done.
3. Up animation (still used that crappy looking ripped original sprite)

BTW, can you upload the map your working on on this site? No waiting and rapidshare somehow just hates me. I'll upload a new demo once I get the level-1 map.

http://www.file-pasta.com/

Or you can email it to me. ;*)

KuRensan

aka Pearbook
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
relminator said:
SOS-Rens: I've had some coding time today.

New stuff:

1. Pit can now shoot
2. Normal and wave shots done.
3. Up animation (still used that crappy looking ripped original sprite)

BTW, can you upload the map your working on on this site? No waiting and rapidshare somehow just hates me. I'll upload a new demo once I get the level-1 map.

http://www.file-pasta.com/

Or you can email it to me. ;*)

I already emailed it to you ^^ nah I will Upload it too if you want

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
Engine update V 0.2.0

DL:

[url=http://jafile.com/uploads/relminator/icarus_v_2_0_0.zip]http://jafile.com/uploads/relminator/icarus_v_2_0_0.zip[/url]

Controls:

[*]A = Jump[*]B = Shoot[*]Left/Right = move[*]Up + B = Shoot Up[*]Down + A = Fall through clouds, etc.

v 0.2.0
[*]Shooting[*] Emulated the way pit collides with the platforms in the original game[*] Removed head collision with the platforms and clouds[*] 3 Map layers (far, base, near) [*] Fall Through Special Tiles like clouds, etc. (Down + A)[*] Explosions[*]

Devs:

AFAIK, the hardest part to code is finished. All I have to do now is to make some
sort of scripting to load levels and rooms. Enemies should not be hard to code.

I've edited the farthest layer of the 3 layer map you sent me. I've put some
stuff in layer 0. You will notice that eventhough the tileset is not darkened, the
resulting DS rendering is darkened by half. I did this so you guys don't have
to make another tileset just for darkening the BG. BTW, they are non-collidable.

Map:

[url=http://jafile.com/uploads/relminator/stage_1-1.zip]http://jafile.com/uploads/relminator/stage_1-1.zip[/url]

We can also add another layer (layer 3) for effects. Like we can make that layer
translucent. Anyone for translucent clouds?

I need all the Pit tiles (walking, crouching, shooting animation, shield and shots)
so that I could finalize the way pit is updated per frame.

AutoFiring Pit(like it is now) or Button Mashing the DS to shoot arrows?

Anyways, how do we call this team. I've put up a placeholder on the binary called
"Team Icarus" in the meantime.

And are the other devs, making something for this project? I've only talked to Rens
So far. Have you guys lost interest?

Some thoughts on the original:

* I've been playing Kid Icarus on my Famicom Disk System, if I'm not in the coding mood,
and this are the things that kept bothering me:

1. Levels in the original are too boring an repetitive (except the horizontal scrolling levels). Very very 80's. We should redo those IMHO.
2. Bosses' AI are crappy. We need to change them.
3. In my game (FDS), there are no passwords, just saves. Should we use save or passwords?

BTW, I can't really be online for more than an hour today. So I'll see you in like two days
over at the gbatemp channel.

Posts merged

Engine update V 0.2.0

DL:

[url=http://jafile.com/uploads/relminator/icarus_v_2_0_0.zip]http://jafile.com/uploads/relminator/icarus_v_2_0_0.zip[/url]

Controls:

[*]A = Jump[*]B = Shoot[*]Left/Right = move[*]Up + B = Shoot Up[*]Down + A = Fall through clouds, etc.

v 0.2.0
[*]Shooting[*] Emulated the way pit collides with the platforms in the original game[*] Removed head collision with the platforms and clouds[*] 3 Map layers (far, base, near) [*] Fall Through Special Tiles like clouds, etc. (Down + A)[*] Explosions[*]

Devs:

AFAIK, the hardest part to code is finished. All I have to do now is to make some
sort of scripting to load levels and rooms. Enemies should not be hard to code.

I've edited the farthest layer of the 3 layer map you sent me. I've put some
stuff in layer 0. You will notice that eventhough the tileset is not darkened, the
resulting DS rendering is darkened by half. I did this so you guys don't have
to make another tileset just for darkening the BG. BTW, they are non-collidable.

Map:

[url=http://jafile.com/uploads/relminator/stage_1-1.zip]http://jafile.com/uploads/relminator/stage_1-1.zip[/url]

We can also add another layer (layer 3) for effects. Like we can make that layer
translucent. Anyone for translucent clouds?

I need all the Pit tiles (walking, crouching, shooting animation, shield and shots)
so that I could finalize the way pit is updated per frame.

AutoFiring Pit(like it is now) or Button Mashing the DS to shoot arrows?

Anyways, how do we call this team. I've put up a placeholder on the binary called
"Team Icarus" in the meantime.

And are the other devs, making something for this project? I've only talked to Rens
So far. Have you guys lost interest?

Some thoughts on the original:

* I've been playing Kid Icarus on my Famicom Disk System, if I'm not in the coding mood,
and this are the things that kept bothering me:

1. Levels in the original are too boring an repetitive (except the horizontal scrolling levels). Very very 80's. We should redo those IMHO.
2. Bosses' AI are crappy. We need to change them.
3. In my game (FDS), there are no passwords, just saves. Should we use save or passwords?

BTW, I can't really be online for more than an hour today. So I'll see you in like two days
over at the gbatemp channel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended