Keyboard keys sluggish after spilled wine

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by JiveTheTurkey, Sep 13, 2018.

1. JiveTheTurkey
    OP

JiveTheTurkey GBAtemp Fan

Nov 6, 2017
    United States
    I spilled wine on my keys, I can't remember how but now when I type and press down a couple of keys those keys require an extra amount of press and slowly rise back. It's a mechanical keyboard so I'm wondering what can I do to clean this. I already tried dabbing some alcohol rub on a Q-tip to loosen it up but the next morning its back. Thanks my dudes, for your read and help.

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    You'll have to disassemble your keyboard entirely and individually clean every key and what not.
    Idk if your switches can be disassembled tho but likely, sticky shit in that as well.

JiveTheTurkey likes this.
  3. JiveTheTurkey
    OP

Nov 6, 2017
    United States
    Dang, I bet the whole switch would come apart. :( I'll have to give it a go either way! :grog:

4. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I'm not sure if you can take apart a mechanical switch? If it's not soldered to the board, though, you could theoretically bathe them in alcohol to try to get all the residue out

5. JiveTheTurkey
    OP

Nov 6, 2017
    United States
    I was doing that but I'm a bit afraid to short it. Though I was doing it while turned on lol

6. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Alcohol won't short anything, just water. Let them thoroughly dry before you reassemble the board

7. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    You can take cherry mx (and clones probably) apart and get inside the switch. The two halves are just clipped together. If they are plate mounted though, then you have to desolder first. PCB mount, you can leave them on the board and still take the top half off and get inside to clean.

JiveTheTurkey and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  8. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Cool, that's a nice confirmation to have for if something similar happens to me