Hacking kernel update any time soon?

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I see that Golden Sun DS only works on Vi with special mode, and my SD card apparently can't handle special mode.

Any chance we will see an update that allows this ROM to run in normal mode? Do you know, Mbmax?

Hopefully any forthcoming update will also allow Animal Crossing to work once again.

borka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
EZ team do not update firmware often as of late. Moreother, there was an information, that they work on another project and have little time for ez flash itself. Usually one update in a month or two.

As for myself I'm thinking abot acekard 2i or dstwo (if ds2x86 works and supports UFO: Enemy Unknown it will be complete FTW).

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
their last update was on November 4th, so not even a month ago

besides special mode fixes new games so an update is really not needed at the moment

but what do you mean, "my SD card apparently can't handle special mode"??
what card do you have??

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have an 8 gig SanDisk.

When I try to load any ROM in special mode I get two white screens, regardless of ROM and regardless of speed setting.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too want an update. I don't have the money to just buy a different MicroSD just so I can play the newer games. (Nor do I have the money to buy a card that they work with.) It seems EZFlash is getting left in the dust, when it wasn't too long ago they were reviewed positively here. (The reason I bought one for me, my wife, and my mother.) Its unfortunate that we go unheard most of the time. The latest kernal adds some games working, but I've lost compatibility with others that used to work fine, so I find myself switching the kernals back and forth every time a new game that I want to try comes out. >.< We need a good, stable update soon.

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah, Animal Crossing doesn't work with the new kernel. What others have you seen not working with the new kernel?

I've decided not to hold my breath on an update. EZ Team seems to have decided, since they have special mode, that updates can be few and far between.

Boooo. With the faulty latest kernel combined with infrequent updates and a very picky micro SD needed, this flash card isn't turning out to be quite what I was expecting when I bought it.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Format your microSD card w/ a dedicated SD formatter like this. FYI, I haven't used the beta on that page so I don't know if it's better or worse, I suggest using v2.0. Hit the "Option" button. For the "Format Type" choose "FULL (Erase On)". And turn "FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT" on. Seriously, it makes a difference from a normal Windows/Linux/Mac OS/etc format... It fixed my 8 gig SD from not running anything in special mode to being able to run all the things that that mode fixes. Obviously, back up you SD before you do this.

If that doesn't fix your special mode woes, format w/ a smaller cluster size 8K-16K...

If that doesn't help... Your SD is a piece of crap. Sorry. But that thing is slower than a cassette drive hooked up to a C= VIC-20.

QUOTE said:
WODE - The only way to Wii.
happy.gif

Wii - 4.3U
WODE - 2.4B
HBC - 1.0.8
WODEFlow Channel

You bought a WODE? I'm not saying they aren't nice or that I wouldn't like one, but they are expensive and don't do a hell of a lot more than a proper (FREE) softmod and a cheap mod chip ($10 for my YAOSM chip) for Cube games. You paid $80+ for a WODE and you can't afford ~$10 for a 4GB class 6 card or $15 to $20 for an 8GB class 6 (prices from New Egg including shipping)? microSD's are so cheap now they're on the impulse item racks at Fry's... I usually pick up a couple $3 2GB cards over the $7 bag of beef jerky when I'm there... They taste better and are more filling. :-) I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that just doesn't compute in my head. Can you afford HD's/SD's/etc for your WODE?

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KidIce said:
You bought a WODE? I'm not saying they aren't nice or that I wouldn't like one, but they are expensive and don't do a hell of a lot more than a proper (FREE) softmod and a cheap mod chip ($10 for my YAOSM chip) for Cube games. You paid $80+ for a WODE and you can't afford ~$10 for a 4GB class 6 card or $15 to $20 for an 8GB class 6 (prices from New Egg including shipping)? microSD's are so cheap now they're on the impulse item racks at Fry's... I usually pick up a couple $3 2GB cards over the $7 bag of beef jerky when I'm there... They taste better and are more filling. :-) I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that just doesn't compute in my head. Can you afford HD's/SD's/etc for your WODE?

Yes, I bought a WODE about a year ago. A lot has changed since then, so don't judge me on that. I'm broke now, I wasn't then. I'm currently a stay at home dad, so I don't have money to just buy a MicroSD card whenever I want one. I know you weren't TRYING to be a jerk, but that's how it came across. I have a 1Tb drive devoted to the WODE (also bought back then) so I don't actually have to buy anything for the device now.

Anyway, I'm going to try your method there. That seems feasible.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The team is aware of both (on usa forum) of your thread Regnad.

Hope to see something soon.
wink.gif

Ps : I'm considering to open a thread on the USA forum about microSD performance.
For now i'm trying to find good tools to benchmark our microSD to determine which are good to be able to use special mode, clean mode or A AP on our flashcarts..
Yeah, even on ak2i or dstwo you need a good microSD to run those mode.
wink.gif

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ATTO disk benchmark doesn't tell the access time to data which is the most important in fact.
The best reading speed a flashcart can do is about 4MB/s, so the reading speed is not really a good test because even a crappy microsd can do 4MB/s.
tongue.gif

And to be good this test should be done on the flashcart itself, not on a PC.

I'm considering more some tools like Check disk for NDS Ver0.4.nds from moonshell or Speed tester for libfat

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MarcusRaven said:
regnad said:
What others have you seen not working with the new kernel?

Super Mario 64 DS
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions
XX:XY Feel the Magic
Puyo POP Fever

All games I love to play.

All of those work w/ special mode enabled. But let's be honest, they shouldn't have to. Maybe I can let them off the hook for Spider-Man as it's somewhat new, but the others on your list are pretty freakin' old and have never had problems before that I recall... I think I can probably even run all those on my EZ FLash 2, 3 and 4.

And the fact that Puzzle Quest 2 is broken w/ or w/o special mode is pretty annoying. Works on older kernels fine, BTW.

Did you try re-formatting your SD w/ the method I suggested? Did it fix your special mode?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
The bench program works on a AK2i running in a DSi XL.

The font used is kinda ugly and hard to read if you have multiple lines next to each other.

Needs to be tweaked with the read and writes speeds in the code to be displayed or outputted to a text file afterwards.

Here were my results on:

size: 16GB
Manufacturer: Adata
type: microSDHC
class: 6
flashcart: AK2i with AKAIO 1.8.1 hw[81]
system: DSi XL 1.4.1U

IMG_150506b.jpg

(same microSDHC)
size: 16GB
Manufacturer: Adata
type: microSDHC
class: 6
flashcart: EZ-Flash Vi hw[805] f[101] k3.0 OB3
system: DSi XL 1.4.1U

IMG_150507b.jpg

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KidIce said:
Did you try re-formatting your SD w/ the method I suggested? Did it fix your special mode?

Nope, didn't work. I have a Class 4 PNY 8Gb. I always thought that PNY wasn't too bad, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe if we still have enough out of my wife's next paycheck (after we finish getting Christmas for the kids. They come first), I'll pick up one that Mbmax told me about a while back. (I still have that message Mbmax.
happy.gif
)

I keep finding myself bouncing back and forth from OB2 to OB3 and back again whenever something else comes out, ultimately ending with me sticking with OB2. >.

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm having trouble finding the SD card Mbmax recommended (the light gray Samsung), and I live in Tokyo, dammit! Bic Camera, Yamada Denki, no luck!

C'mon, EZ Team, just give us an update! Don't make us regret purchasing your product!

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is currently in my EZ5i and works w/ special mode. $15 and free shipping... Hard to beat that.

I also have a Transcend that works, that one ended up in my Wii, though. Both cards required formatting w/ the Panasonic SD formatter to get special mode to work on them though.

Edit: Just benched them both w/ HDTune just for curiosity's sake. The Transcend is a bit faster than the AData, gets just over 15MB's/sec and .7ms access time vs the AData's 14.5 and .8.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: