Kernel access on < 9.3 with ninjhax?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by ultimatecouchpotato, Jan 16, 2015.

1. ultimatecouchpotato
    OP

ultimatecouchpotato Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2015
    United States

2. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Yes, Gateway has kernel access. Technically ninjhax could utilize the same methods as Gateway to gain kernel access as well, but it's not going to happen.

3. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    ARM11 kernel, though. What's usually referred to as a 'kernel' exploit (bypassing security checks, emuNAND, .cia install etc.) is actually a Process9 exploit.

Kurth and filfat like this.
  4. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Smea wants to fuck piracy right in the pussy, so even if it was possible, he wouldn't put it there.

5. ultimatecouchpotato
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    What's to stop a regular homebrew application from utilizing the exploits?
    I would think ARM11 kernel would be able to access Process9 in some way. Or would it just crash as soon as you took control of ARM11?

6. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    ARM11 is still under control by ARM9, even with kernel execution.

7. Slushie3DS

Slushie3DS Cold Beverage Lover

Jan 9, 2015
    United States
    Gateway and Ninjhax use the same exploit stages, but Gateway uses less of them. Is it possible? Yes. Is it going to happen? No real point. Most Ninjhax based developers, including myself, are happy with what we have.

Agent Moose likes this.
  8. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Ninjhax creates a homebrew environment when it finishes. I don't know if a 3dsx can re-exploit the system to gain arm11 kernel or not, but you can make a new one based on ninjhax to exploit arm11 kernel (like GW). It wouldn't be ninjhax anymore though.
    Once you get arm11 kernel you can find a way to trigger that undocumented p9 exploit on that page.

9. TUWieZ

TUWieZ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2014
    United States
    I'd like to see the 3ds homebrew community grow, good find. I hope someone can figure out how to get a 3ds running ninjhax to have a wider functionality range and more accessibility. I wanna be able to use my old flash carts but probably wont be able to unless I have a GW or ninjhax has kernel access. A homebrew channel would be more convenient too as opposed to ninjhax cart hbc loader but thatd probably have to wait until kernel access for cia file installers.

10. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    Not gonna happen cause smea or somethin else? 'Cause didn't smea release the source and details of ninjhax?

11. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Because no one's doing it.

12. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    Not gonna happen because youd spent a good amount of time in jail.

13. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    I'm pretty sure Ninjhax use the same entry point, but not the same exploit, i think gateway use SSSPWN wich Ninjhax dont as we can see in the writeup of Smea, and we know that exploit never been released or anything and worked on 6.2 with profile exploit too.

14. TheKerplunk

TheKerplunk Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2015
    Brazil
  15. ultimatecouchpotato
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Nice, that's exactly what I was thinking of! Definitely going to play around with that this weekend.

TUWieZ likes this.
  16. Slushie3DS

Jan 9, 2015
    United States
    The name of his exploit system is SSSPWN.

17. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Well it could happen if someone wanted to do it and it should happen because people using NinjHax will need EmuNAND to keep playing games.

The white-hat shit around the actual free 3DS hack is becoming more and more annoying and by the time it'll even restrain people from doing what they want with their devices, that's not the point of hacking, people decide to install hacks on their devices to do what they want with them, not to be restrained by a new set of restrictions which let them do more than what they could do before, we hack to be free, not to have more freedom and still not be free...

(Don't get me wrong tho, I love what Smealum did, just saying that ninjhax in it's actual form isn't enough if we want a real hack on our devices)

shawnanastasio likes this.
  18. Myria

Myria GBAtemp Fan

Jul 24, 2014
    United States
    Yeah, now that memchunkhax is known publicly, ninjhax can be greatly improved. Region unlock, cartridge removal, save file access, etc. for example.

SLiV3R and Idaho like this.
  19. Slushie3DS

Jan 9, 2015
    United States
    Elaborate more on memchunkhax, please.

20. Myria

Myria GBAtemp Fan

Jul 24, 2014
    United States
    Slushie3DS likes this.