Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've seen this on many forums already and so I thought it would be nice to have something like it here: the possibility to increase or decrease the karma/reputation of a member. Anyone can do it to everyone else (not to themselves of course). They can change the karma of any member by 1, they can only do this once for every member but they can change as many member's karma's as they want to. It's a good way for other people to see if the person they're 'looking at' is trustworthy/nice/etc. Banned or suspended members can't be voted on. Staff members are no exception to the rule and thus cannot increase their own karma or change someone else's karma by more than 1.

The other thing, thanking posts, is also quite useful for others to see if said post was of any use to others. Likewise, members can say whether they liked the post or not and then other people see something like '4 out of 7 members found this post useful'. This function can also be used together with the karma function, as in when a member 'likes' a post (makes me think of Facebook, actually
tongue.gif
) the karma of the poster increases by 1, et vice versa. As with the karma, posts can't be liked if they have been removed (obviously) or if the poster was banned.

Both functions aren't really a necessity, because after a while you get to know who you should trust and who you shouldn't, but it's always better when the way you get to know that is easier and faster.

P.S.: If these functions get included, Tempbot should have a set amount of karma. Otherwise it would probably have the highest amount of karma on the temp
wink.gif

Offtopic: Nice 4,000th post, no?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Not a good idea.
I have seen them forums that have +rep and all that, and it's not good at all. They are OBSESSED (yes, needs to be capped) with it and there is no community at all.

If GBAtemp adds this, it will be the day I leave.

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, or if the admins think that would be abused, you could have it like one ISO site I know of - you can give someone positive rep but not negitive rep, and each person can only change a person's rep once per hour.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry I say NO, I am an old member of the SSB rumble team(ds homebrew) We had some sort of sytem too. IT WAS WORTHLESS. they where spamming around with the system trying to hack it to get a better repu etc.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the idea wouldn't be very good either. People can flame others just because they're mad and lower everyone's reputation. That includes mods as well. The whole community as we know it could just collapse.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are people so desperate for love and attention that they need this?

I'd rather be known to people by name for helpfulness than by petty little score.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Gaydrian said:
Are people so desperate for love and attention that they need this?

I'd rather be known to people by name for helpfulness than by petty little score.
Am I? I don't know. But it would help me recognize people that don't post a lot, but post useful or funny stuff.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
dice said:
This idea has been suggested on multiple occasions here and has always been shot down.
Really? Aw, that sucks...
frown.gif

QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ May 15 2010, 09:13 PM) The only places I've seen rep are on warez forums where people thank people for uploads. I don't really see the point here though. Maybe on FileTrip it'd work.
Supercard forum has it, and they don't have any problems with people saying '+rep if you like this'

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
dice said:
This idea has been suggested on multiple occasions here and has always been shot down.
frown.gif

QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ May 15 2010, 09:13 PM) The only places I've seen rep are on warez forums where people thank people for uploads. I don't really see the point here though. Maybe on FileTrip it'd work.
Supercard forum has it, and they don't have any problems with people saying '+rep if you like this'

I mean, it's not a bad idea, but it's just not very useful in the sense of a general discussion forum. If you really want to support someone, quote their post, agree with it, and add on to it with your own personal insight.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Guild McCommunist said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
dice said:
frown.gif

I mean, it's not a bad idea, but it's just not very useful in the sense of a general discussion forum. If you really want to support someone, quote their post, agree with it, and add on to it with your own personal insight.
I know, but that way, others might not know about it, which could be a pity.

But meh, it seems like close to no one likes the idea, so I'll go ahead and say this topic can be locked.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I don't like the idea of a karma system myself. And yeah as dice said people have suggested this many times before, and the responses have hardly been positive.

Closed per OP's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7fk_DUz5g +1