Just wondering if it is illegal

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Ferrnando, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Ferrnando
    OP

Ferrnando Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2013
    Brazil
    Hey,
    If in the future gateway 3DS works in the newest firmware and I buy one to play a backup copy of a game against my second 3DS (those multiplayer games which every console needs a copy) will I be doing something illegal? I was thinking that backup and homebrews aren't illegal, so why would that be?
    Thanks

2. dezmen

dezmen GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2013
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    People are such a pussies... "Play my backup bla bla" Just download any 3ds rom you want, yes it's pirating, but no, it won't cause any issues.

3. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    It's a very debatable subject, but "backups" are technically legal.

4. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    I think that depends on the country you're in, and also if you play a backup you dumped yourself or if you play a backup downloaded from the internet (regardless of whether you own the original game or not.)

5. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I love this answer and it is so true nobody takes any action on personal use. Its if you were gonna start selling them that you get into a sticky mess

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Backups themselves are not illegal (or at the very least, depending on the definition, it's subject to territorial law). The storage medium is prone to damage - the software is not since it's not a tangible, physical object. Software companies may discourage it, but it doesn't mean that it's illegal.

What's illegal is using one copy of software to play on two platforms simultaneously, which is what the OP is trying to do. The license the software comes with specifies how many copies can be used, and in the case of retail 3DS games that number is one copy.

tl;dr Yes, it's illegal to copy a game you own for the sake of playing multiplayer between two systems. You only own one copy and you can only use one copy at a time.

Ferrnando and pelago like this.
  7. Densetsu

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?