Just got a Wii U! - problems have arisen!

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by VashTS, Apr 15, 2014.

1. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    So I'm trying to add normal Wii hacks to vWii mode but I cannot. I'm hoping its not a hardware issue but I think it is.

I have a 2gb microsd card that I normally use when I hack Wii's. When inserted in the Wii U it "dings" as though its found but when I try to copy Indiana Pwns, it says the device cannot be used.

Now when I plug in a 4gb or 8gb SD card (non-micro) the SD "ding" goes crazy, just like inserted - removed over and over.

I'm not sure where to go from here...anyone got any ideas? The memory cards are recognized in a regular Wii. I was going to try to do a transfer with my baby's Wii and see if that would move the hacked save file over but I cannot get the Wii U to use my SD cards!

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Use only 2 GB SD card. Do NOT use SDHC as hacks won't execute on them.

Based on your description it sounds like SD slot is borked.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  3. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    thats what im afraid of! oh well, got it really cheap. like didn't cost a dime cheap, just trades :)

not like i don't have plenty of wii's in the house, i got 4.

4. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Or.. You can get a really cheap 2 gig SD card...

5. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Have you perhaps tried another small <2GB memory card to see if it'd work?

6. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Yeah I'd try using a standard 2GB or less SD not MicroSD card.

7. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    i dont have any regular sd cards smaller than 4gb, only micro sd.

i don't think this is the issue though as the microsd in the adapter works great in all of my wii's and my pc's. its never been an issue and still isn't...only when its in the wii u. i tried different microsd adapters as well.

its just weird that the "insert-removed" cycle doesn't happen with the 2gb only with the sdhc cards. the wii u in vwii mode should be able to use the larger capacity cards right?

8. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    For the exploits necessary to actually install HBC etc (such as indiana pwns, smash stack etc) you actually do need an sd card that's 2gb or less. I found this out myself the hard way. Once HBC is installed, you can switch back to a SDHC card. Its just required for the installation of HBC (actually the exploit used to install it, if you want to be technical :P). I recommend picking up an actual sd card 2gb or less for cheap on ebay or something, to see if maybe your Wii U just doesn't like your Microsd adapter for whatever reason. Sometimes sd card readers etc can just be fwonky like this.

9. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    but i refer back to my point of the Wii menu thinking the SDHC cards are being inserted and removed over and over. That behavior should not occur regardless of homebrew or exploit being used.

If I boot up my vWii mode, insert a 4gb SDHC card it does this. If I do the same but used the 2gb microSD then its fine but it won't read/write to it.

as i typed this i just realized i have a 256MB card staring me in the face. off to test.

10. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    Same error, "The device inserted in the SD slot cannot be used"

But it is recognized, this is weird.

11. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
  12. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    tried the formatter, same result. i emailed nintendo awaiting their official response.

13. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    The wii will make a comment cause it can sense the card.... the -GAME- cannot.

Get a fricken 8 dollar 1 gig SD card and be done with it... Seriously.

14. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    dude did you not read my post, i tried a 256MB regular sd card. same issue. its not the card. its an issue with the vWii or the Wii U's sd slot.

its not being used for a game. im trying to transfer over Indiana Pwns. its a hacked save file just in case you aren't aware.

the game has NO access to an SD card.

15. worm28

worm28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    Well its not modded yet so nintendo will fix it. you say it dings over and over when you insert a sdhc card somethings messed up with it. I use a 16gb sdhc card and it works fine. Send it back make them fix it.

16. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY

they still havent replied to my email, i might call them today and see what they say. i got the wii u from someone else not sure if its still in warranty and my boy would be devastated if he is without it for a few days.

the biggest question is - why does it act normal (except for not reading it) when a SD card is inserted but it acts funny when an SDHC card is inserted? Physically there is no difference, the hardware should act the same regardless.

this makes me think its software related but without hacks theres nothing more i can do anyway.