Gaming Just got a PSP and I have a bunch of questions

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So yeah, a friend of mine just gave me his PSP because he didn't want it anymore. I always wanted one, but I just never had the money. Anyway...I'm a bit confused about hacking it. I've used flashcards on a DS, is it anything like that?

The PSP my friend gave me is an old black one I think, it says PSP1001 on the bottom. I did a little research, it seems I have to get a Pandora battery...is that the only way I can hack it? I'd rather not spend any money if possible. So anything besides the pandora battery? I don't want to buy one if it will only be a one use battery.

Also, my friend wasn't able to find his charger, so I can't use it currently atm. I found a USB cable that I use for my camera that fit into the PSP, but it seems I can't charge it through USB. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap charging cable for the PSP online or something?

Lastly, what's the most common size of memory stick that most people use for their PSP? Is Memory Stick Duo the only type of memory I can use with it? And does anyone know the cheapest place I can order online from to get it?

Thanks~

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
So yeah, a friend of mine just gave me his PSP because he didn't want it anymore. I always wanted one, but I just never had the money. Anyway...I'm a bit confused about hacking it. I've used flashcards on a DS, is it anything like that?

No, not really. The PSP has no flashcart UMD's at all.

QUOTE said:
The PSP my friend gave me is an old black one I think, it says PSP1001 on the bottom. I did a little research, it seems I have to get a Pandora battery...is that the only way I can hack it? I'd rather not spend any money if possible. So anything besides the pandora battery? I don't want to buy one if it will only be a one use battery.

Use ChickHEN's installer and Hellcats recovery flasher to install CFW on your PSP without a Pandora.

QUOTE said:
Also, my friend wasn't able to find his charger, so I can't use it currently atm. I found a USB cable that I use for my camera that fit into the PSP, but it seems I can't charge it through USB. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap charging cable for the PSP online or something?

Gamestop, EBgames, and eBay. But if you were really desperate, people have internally hacked the PSP to charge via USB, so maybe you can learn how to do it?

Lastly, what's the most common size of memory stick that most people use for their PSP? Is Memory Stick Duo the only type of memory I can use with it? And does anyone know the cheapest place I can order online from to get it?

Lots use 8GB. But others prefer smaller sizes due to the high prices of them. And yes, Memory Stick Duo is the only one PSP supports. And said above, you can check Gamestop, eBay etc. for cheaper prices.

smile.gif

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, thanks so much both of you. I think I should be able to figure it out now. But about this "ChickHEN's installer and Hellcats", is there any disadvantage to using this as opposed to Pandora or will I end up with the exact same result?

Thanks again

kennypu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the charger, if you go to gamestop or any other electronics shop probobly, they have usb cables that have a charger end as well so you can use that as your charger if you're a PC type person

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
67birdman said:
You can always make a Pandora Battery, and MMS yourself:psp:
Google it

you don't need a Pandora with the old 1000 series its hackable as above using the CHICK HEN exploit and recovery flasher
smile.gif

the end result will be the same
smile.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Plus you could always make your own Pandora Battery if you wanted via the ChickHen and OSPBT on a PSP 1000.

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Plus you could always make your own Pandora Battery if you wanted via the ChickHen and OSPBT on a PSP 1000.

Umm, sorry, but I don't really know what ChickHen and OSPBT are...are you saying I can modify my battery and make it a Pandora Battery? Would that be through software or would I need to actually mess with the PSP?

Also, does my PSP only support Memory Stick Duo, not even Memory Stick Duo Pro or even SD cards or something? And how can I charge my PSP with just that USB cable?

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
67birdman said:
isn't ChickHen just a temporary flash tho?

Posts merged

you have to run the firmware off it everytime
Only if you can't write a Custom Firmware to the PSP. The 1000 is fully hackable, all he needs to do is install a CFW and he's set.

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So once I have this CFW installed...can I access the "Recovery Menu" anytime by holding the R button when I start the PSP or do I need Pandora for that?

And another question, I read that you can use a Photofast adapted that lets you use microsdhc cards with the PSP. That seems like the cheaper memory alternative, but how is the read speed on the PSP compared to say, an actual Memory Stick Pro Duo like this one?

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay great, I got my hands on a charger...I have a few more questions now
tongue.gif

Is my current firmware installed on my memory stick or on the PSP internal memory? If it's on the PSP internal memory, how much space does it have?

It says my version is 1.50...I can use that Recovery Flasher and ChickHEN with this right? No need for the pandora battery? Now if this is possible, will it be fine for me to install the custom firmware using a 32 mb memory stick (I plan to get a bigger one soon)?

Besides loading isos and homebrew and stuff, in terms of features, what can the latest custom firmware do that 1.50 can't?

And is it okay for me to setup a network connection right now or will the system auto-update for me as soon as I'm done choosing my connection?

Thanks a lot for the help~

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tranquil said:
Okay great, I got my hands on a charger...I have a few more questions now
tongue.gif

Is my current firmware installed on my memory stick or on the PSP internal memory? If it's on the PSP internal memory, how much space does it have?

It says my version is 1.50...I can use that Recovery Flasher and ChickHEN with this right? No need for the pandora battery? Now if this is possible, will it be fine for me to install the custom firmware using a 32 mb memory stick (I plan to get a bigger one soon)?

Besides loading isos and homebrew and stuff, in terms of features, what can the latest custom firmware do that 1.50 can't?

And is it okay for me to setup a network connection right now or will the system auto-update for me as soon as I'm done choosing my connection?

Thanks a lot for the help~
1.50 just ran unsigned code, and that was about it

1.50 will allow you to install custom firmware right off the bat, no modifying needed

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Given that the installer is bigger than 32Mb that would be a no.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol