Hacking Just getting started...

trialus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Howdy. I have had a DSL for a couple of months now and really enjoy it over all. Just recently found out how much more to them there is than meets the eye and am looking for a little bit of specific advice about products...

1. Looking for slot 1 recommendations. The front runners seem to be the R4, the m3 and the DSTT. It sounds like the the R4 is something of the super solid stand by, with good reliability, good compatibility, freq updates and is relatively easy to use, but it doesn't support SDHC so you are limited to 2gb cards, is this correct? Is a bigger card really that useful...how many DS ROMs fit on a 2gb card? Can you transfer a game off of microSD and then back on with your save intact? The DSTT sounds like it supports SDHC, but seems to have a much spottier record (looking thru the forums some love it and some have had bad experiences with it). Finally, the M3 seems to be another longstanding card with may of the same virtues of the R4 (in fact read somewhere that they are the same card), but comes in some different flavors (simply, real, etc). What is the difference in all of these...the M3 Real seems to be a perfect solution, combining reliability, compatibility and freq updates with the ability to use SDHC cards of higher capacity. Are my impressions at all accurate? Which of these do folks recommend for someone who really just wants to play lots of different games and have things be reliable and simple? All of the extras (pdas, etc.) don't mean much to me.

2. Slot 2 recommendations. The solutions I am looking at are the ezflash 3-in-1, the m3 lite, and the GBA expansion with the m3 real. Having a dedicated slot 2 card w/ all my games on it is appealing, which makes me prefer the m3 lite over the ezflash (although it would seem to mean needing 2 microSD cards, but the one for the slot 2 device could probably be pretty small and still hold a decent number of games, right?). Also, I have read that dedicated slot 2 cards are more difficult to use than the ezflash, is this true? How so? The GBA expansion with the M3 real is something I have seen mentioned and for sale, but really do not know anything about how it works, could someone explain it?

3. Finally, the m3 lite says it is includes nes and snes emulators how well do these work? (finally a simple straight forward question!!)

4. thought of one more, has anyone ordered from gameyeeeah.com? are they pretty reliable?

thanks in advance for your help and advice.

jay

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
1. R4 and M3 Simply are the same thing. ROMs are 8mB, 16mB, 32mB, 64mB and 128mB. (Only one 256mB) So use that to benchmark the amount of games you'll be able to hold.
2. I recommend an EZ-Flash 3-in-1 unless you're getting a card that has its own Slot-2. (TTDS and M3Real)
3. Just use DS NES and SNES emulators. Don't even bother unless you REALLY want to play Punch-out!!. (Playable on the DS emu with graphical glitches)
4. I haven't but a lot of people have and were satisfied.

nitro2k01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1) I can only speak from my corner of the world, but I have an M3Real with GBA expansion, and so far everything has been working perfectly. I can't vouch for the M3Real over simply though, because I've never tried a simply.
How much fits on a 2 GB card, depends on the size of the ROM images. I'd say about at least 20-30 games of average size. (Or 10 big ones. Excessive 3D or FMV's -> Big)
2) Here's how the M3 GBA extension works: Instead of permanently storing anything on the cart, you store NDS as well as GBA ROMs on the SD card, and the ROM you want to play is copied to the cart every time you want to play it. When you turn the DS on again, the save data is copied back to the SD card. So far it has worked well for me.

trialus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice guys. Based on what you've said and what else I've read I am going to go for the M3 Real w/ GBA expansion...seems like a reliable and simple system.

trialus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny so many folks have recommended the CycloDS...after I made my last post I did some more research and decided to go for the Cyclo instead of the M3 Real. It looks like a great card, difficult to find though. Soon as Real Hot Stuff has some in stock I'll be ordering one.

Couple more questions...I read that the Cyclo has built in support for the ezflash 3in1, does this mean that you don't need to use any homebrew stuff (such as Rudolph's) to play GBA games? It sounds like Japanese made microSD cards are the way to go, but Toshiba is the only one that makes all their cards in Japan, is it worth getting one of these?

thanks

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd say get either the CycloDS or the DSTT/TTDS.

The DSTT is a good cart, with similar features to the M3 Real and the R4. It's a lot cheaper than the CycloDS, but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

If you're looking for a basic cart that's easy to use, works well, and is fast (and you don't care about in-game saves and other features that the CycloDS has), the DSTT is a good one for the money.

-Bri

trialus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I did it! Realhotstuff.com finally had CylcoDS cards in stock today, so I bought one with a 4GB microSDHC card and the ezflash 3-in-1. thanks for all of the advice and info.

jay

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended