Hacking Just a thought...

Jeremy Pettes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I've had gotten curious lately watching Nintendo 3ds lets play on my phone (I hate playing my 3ds not on my television) and i have always wanted to ask this so here it goes.

Will there ever be DS/3ds emulation on the WII U.

Ok before you slay me for my ignorance, I am typically very new to the entire homebrew scene, but not that new too emulation (emulation on PC exp etc.)

So here are my simple thoughts and opinions. Since both the 3ds and Wii U utilize touch controls as well as motion controls wouldn't it be nice to use the Wii Us touch screen as the 3ds's secondary touch screen and your TV screen as the main monitor? Hell even the Wii U has the camera peripherals like the 3ds does so why not?

I would love to get down on some bravely default or Fire Emblem Awakening on my 47inch smart tv with sorround system chilling on my sofa with my wii u touch pad. Heck i would even give Kingdom Hearts DDD another shot since i dont have to play on such a teeny tiny monitor. (i have vision issues)

Anyways that is just my 2 Cents and is just a thought. What do you all think?

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
a normall ds im sure would be possible (port of desmume or something) and the 3ds i doubt for two reasons. the wii u is not 3d compatable. and second there is no working 3ds emulator except the latest updates on citra emulator (which ive been checkin out recently)

Brunho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
They released brain age in West too. I remember getting this from free from Club Nintendo. The emulation was good, but I don´t know if they released DS games with "true" gameplay for Wii U.

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There already is a DS emulator on the Wii U, Nintendo made it themselves.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/3/57...r-wii-u-virtual-console-is-brain-age-in-japan

Knowing life you could probably inject the framework with any ROM.

We would need the console specific private keys for NAND storage etc, but once a standardized method of getting them is figured out and whoever figures it out, releases it to the public, it "should" be possible. Its going to take a lot of examination at how eshop titles are handled etc, which can't be done without said keys.

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
We would need the console specific private keys for NAND storage etc, but once a standardized method of getting them is figured out and whoever figures it out, releases it to the public, it "should" be possible. Its going to take a lot of examination at how eshop titles are handled etc, which can't be done without said keys.

Theoretically, it'd be like injecting VC WAD's all over again. I don't know how you'd get games that aren't available in eShop though, unless you code an emulator, don't know how fast it would be, even with the DS fork.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is obviously operating under the assumption that the Wii U gets hacked through and through - theoretical questions get theoretical answers. At the very least this demonstrates that it can be done.

Reactions: jammybudga777

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There already is a DS emulator on the Wii U, Nintendo made it themselves.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/3/57...r-wii-u-virtual-console-is-brain-age-in-japan

Knowing life you could probably inject the framework with any ROM.
Although injecting a ROM into Brainage's VC would spit out the two images side by side on the TV/Gamepad.
We'll have to wait until they release another one that uses both TV and Gamepad to be able to properly make use of the console settings for DS VC games.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
As someone who always uses the 3DS with the 3D turned off, I for one wouldn't mind only being able to play 3DS games in 2D mode on Wii U. I've no idea if it would be possible, though.

glad to hear it as so would i lol. i have never used or had a 3ds in my hands i thought it permanently had to be turned on

Reactions: pelago

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, it can be turned off, and there's even the 2DS which doesn't have a 3D screen at all. As you say, though, the problem is really down to a lack of decent 3DS/2DS emulator, plus who knows whether the Wii U would be powerful enough to emulate it.

Reactions: jammybudga777

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, it can be turned off, and there's even the 2DS which doesn't have a 3D screen at all. As you say, though, the problem is really down to a lack of decent 3DS/2DS emulator, plus who knows whether the Wii U would be powerful enough to emulate it.

only time will tell i guess. but im pretty confident a normall ds emulator/port would work fine. if you havnt already check out citra 3ds emulator and watch the progress im sure they would no the minimum requirements to be able to run 3ds

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1