!dennaB
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i am merely thinking of getting my hands on a mod chip (probably cyclowiz), and i need to know, if i have no experience with soldering, what are the chances of bricking my wii?

and also, since mod chips force the disk drive to read different DVD types, would that mean commercial dvd movies would be viewable?

Brutay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no experience with the cyclowiz, however, I've installed 3 wiikeys on the first gen wii (only requires 5 or 6 wires if i remember correctly)
But anyways, as long as you are careful and don't bridge the connections or apply too much heat to the board (and burn it) you should be alright.
However, if you're uncomfortable with the idea and want to spend another $30, look into a wlip.. apparently they make the job a lot easier and don't require any soldering. One thing I will definitely recommend is getting a tri tip screwdriver, and be VERY organized with the screws you remove and make sure you put them all back where they are supposed to go.. I had more "extras" laying around when I put it all back together than i'd like to admit
tongue.gif

Sorry I don't have any more specific advice, but just look around ad pics and install guides from the different chips online and you can see what you think.

Also, there's a way to see what revision of board you have using your wii serial # to see if it'd be a fairly easy solder job or extremely hard job.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Well the CycloWiz is easier to install becurse it only needs 5 points and the wiikey needs 6 points.
But its still kinda easy.
Just practice like 1 hour on something else before you solder it to the wii.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would really suggest against using it for dvd movies, puts a lot of strain on yer wii drive apparently

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.