Just a few questions about installing CFW

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by vengfulr3ap3r, Oct 16, 2013.

1. vengfulr3ap3r
    OP

vengfulr3ap3r Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 13, 2008
    United States
    Hello! I do hope I posted this in the proper section. First of all, I want to say that I am new to the ps3 scene, but I have previously hacked/modded things. So im no stranger to jailbreaking and the like. I was hoping you guys could give me a little advice and clarifications on a few things. I've read tons of guides and tuts, and because the process to installing cfw seems so simple, i feel like maybe im just missing something important or something that's utter common knowledge and i'd rather not end up bricking my system. :P

Anyways, To start, the PS3 in question is a 2010 2501a slim with 3.55 OFW already installed. Im pretty sure all i'd need to do from there is to follow mschumancer69's guide here. Correct? While I was reading around I did stumble onto something about if you downgrade you need to dehash or the next time you flash a firmware it'll brick your system, and truthfully I have no idea if my system has been downgraded or not (It was an ebay purchase) and like I said, I really don't want to brick my system. I assume since it's already on 3.55 ofw, im good to go, I just want to confirm if with people who know a whole lot more about this process than I do if it's alright to go ahead with the install guide. The firmware I intend to flash (If it's important) Is rebugs 4.46. I plan to install the REX edition, or would you guys suggest the lite edition? (I already know that the d-rex edition is for DEX/developer consoles)

The only other questions I can think of of the top of my head would be;

Is there a specific program any of you like to use to check md5's or will any md5 checker work?
    Do you have any information you think might be useful to a complete noob?
    Is there anything specific I shouldn't do to avoid bricking (Just so I know to avoid them!)
    are there any other homebrew I should check into? Other than things like multiman (backups) and showtime (media center)
    or any other information you think might be pertinent. As I said I have researched this rather extensively and i just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before pulling the trigger

That's really the only questions I can think of off the top of my head right now, but if I have more i can ask later. Otherwise, Thank you for reading, and thank you in advance for any information you provide. =]

-D

2. marcus134

marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2011
    Canada
    Qu├ębec
    install 3.55 rebug first with rebug toolbox and toggle QA flag.
    Also, if you're interested (or might be in the future) in doing some DEX stuff, while on 3.55, you should extract your ps3 eID key with that: http://filetrip.net/dl?hP0hKt65Xi

vengfulr3ap3r likes this.
  3. vengfulr3ap3r
    OP

vengfulr3ap3r Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 13, 2008
    United States
    Alright, Thanks. Ill be sure and do that, and thank you for the link as well.

So;
    1) install rebug 3.55
    2) enable QA flag
    3) Dump eID
    4) Dump the memory a few times, just incase i ever need it. (Or is this step not needed?)
    5) Install 4.46 rebug rex andd then im done, yeah? =]

Edit; Just wanted to post back and let you know that I have it installed, and I have my eEID root key stored in a safe place as well and am sitting pretty on 4.46 rex. So I wanted to say thanks for the help!