Hacking What's the latest in the hacking scene?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a CECHA01 PS3, which I had to pay a bunch for in order to get low firmware.

I installed 3.55 OFW, then installed a custom firmware on it (I believe it's one of Rogero's, or possibly reBug)

Haven't turned it on in about 4 months so I'm sure it's way outdated now and I won't be able to get on PSN.

Is it still worth trying to spoof my firmware so I can go on PSN? I actually got my main account banned (probably from playing a game online using mmCM, I understand that's risky) as well as my console itself, hence why I had to buy another console... so now I have two PSN accounts, one for my Vita which I don't use any hacks with and another for my PS3.

So, some specific questions...

• Is 3.55 still the most current firmware to have custom firmware mods for it?
  • Is there any less risk of being banned now than there was before?
  • I saw a thread about Cobra USB going open source. I have a Cobra USB and used it until their CFW got blocked and I couldn't go on PSN. Is there any way to have CFW that can get on PSN AND play backed up PS2 games? I have a CECHA01 as I mentioned so literally the ONLY reason I needed that stupid dongle was for their DRM
  • I've seen a bit of mention of ODEs. The 3Key being one of them. Would it be worth buying one of the "super slim" models that costs $200, slapping a hard drive in there (I have plenty of 2.5" hard drives to go around), and getting an ODE? I still want my CECHA01 for certain things - such as ripping SACDs, hence my need for CFW...
  • Speaking of ODEs, assuming I do 1:1 copies, is there any risk of PSN bans? Or is it pretty safe as long as you aren't modifying the disc contents?
Admittedly I haven't really kept up with the scene... I hardly used my PS3 anyway since it was such a hassle to get online and I primarily use Xbox Live for console gaming. But with the PS4 coming out I figured it wouldn't hurt to get a working solution once and for all.
Finally, one last thing:
  • Has anyone actually been able to decrypt PS3 DLC files? I've seen a few apps written for it, but every time I tried them with Guitar Hero songs (don't ask why I want those), it couldn't find the key - I left them bruteforcing for days on end with no luck... even using the eboot file from the retail disc.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is 3.55 still the most current firmware to have custom firmware mods for it?
Yes, no one found a way to install CFW on anything past 3.55 OFW.
Is there any less risk of being banned now than there was before?
There is always the risk of getting banned when you hack your PS3, period.
I saw a thread about Cobra USB going open source. I have a Cobra USB and used it until their CFW got blocked and I couldn't go on PSN. Is there any way to have CFW that can get on PSN AND play backed up PS2 games? I have a CECHA01 as I mentioned so literally the ONLY reason I needed that stupid dongle was for their DRM
Most people got banned when they play PS3 games online. The best thing you can do is stay off line while playing any game, and only connect to PSN to purchase games and synching trophies. For PS2 parts you might be better off buying Swap Magic and use it to load Open PS2 Loader. Cobra going open source doesn't mean a thing.
I've seen a bit of mention of ODEs. The 3Key being one of them. Would it be worth buying one of the "super slim" models that costs $200, slapping a hard drive in there (I have plenty of 2.5" hard drives to go around), and getting an ODE? I still want my CECHA01 for certain things - such as ripping SACDs, hence my need for CFW...
Can't say, that's up to you. All ODE can do is load PS1, PS2 (only for BC compatible PS3), and PS3 retail games.
Speaking of ODEs, assuming I do 1:1 copies, is there any risk of PSN bans? Or is it pretty safe as long as you aren't modifying the disc contents?
Risk is still there. 1:1 copies lowers the risk of getting banned, not squashing it to 0. To get 1:1 copies you must either get ripper board (cost extra money), or use specific IRD files to reconstruct existing rip.
Has anyone actually been able to decrypt PS3 DLC files? I've seen a few apps written for it, but every time I tried them with Guitar Hero songs (don't ask why I want those), it couldn't find the key - I left them bruteforcing for days on end with no luck... even using the eboot file from the retail disc.
Pirated PS3 DLC involves using reactPSN, a program that alters PSN record, to activate DLC so it can be used. IMO it messes up PSN records that Sony can easily detect. DLC must be already decrypted.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't say, that's up to you. All ODE can do is load PS1, PS2 (only for BC compatible PS3), and PS3 retail games.

Does it make any noticeable mods to the form factor at all, especially for a super slim? Am I correct in assuming I can't use the PS3 hard drive itself to store the ISOs, I'd have to get an external or something?

PS3 DLC involves using reactPSN, a program that alters PSN record, to activate DLC so it can be used. DLC must be already decrypted.

Well, that's not exactly what I mean.

I downloaded the .pkg file right from Sony's servers. I have no interest in playing the game on my console (again, I can't get too into it without breaking forum rules), but what I am trying to do is extract the contents from that .pkg file on my computer. When I do that, everything has an .ebin (I believe it's that... been a while) extension, and the contents are encrypted... even things like PNG files that would normally not be encrypted (this is the case on the disc content)

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does it make any noticeable mods to the form factor at all, especially for a super slim? Am I correct in assuming I can't use the PS3 hard drive itself to store the ISOs, I'd have to get an external or something?

It has a USB ports with flat cable going outside. You may need to cut a hole to allow that cable going outside.

For Cobra ODE, one board assembly is exposed at the rear of the PS3. ODE can only use external HDD, it only emulates Bluray drive of PS3 (meaning it will never have the ability to access internal drive).
Well, that's not exactly what I mean.

I downloaded the .pkg file right from Sony's servers. I have no interest in playing the game on my console (again, I can't get too into it without breaking forum rules), but what I am trying to do is extract the contents from that .pkg file on my computer. When I do that, everything has an .ebin (I believe it's that... been a while) extension, and the contents are encrypted... even things like PNG files that would normally not be encrypted (this is the case on the disc content)
I seems to recall you must know the private key before hand. pkg itself is encrypted with AES so good luck try to bruteforce it

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the package thing.... ReactPSN has a brute for mode for C0 type PSN games. Hold down O on the game pad for 6 seconds then press X to run ReactPSN or something. I don't really know for sure since my PS3 is an odd model and none of the PSNope or ReactPSN type programs will work.

I have to resort to other methods to get my PSN stuff activated since I don't have a usb000 on mine... I have usb078 - usb1008 so messed up that even manually editing the configuration files then FTPing them into the proper places still will not work.

The OP should download Aldostools and PSNStuff those two programs probably would help.

I also would use Rebug, not sure if he should use the latest version or an older version to install PSN stuff (could be my issue with PSN stuff is I am on the latest hybrid 4.46 CFW from Rebug. Downgraded from Habib's 4.50)

Edit: Aldostools can unpack any .pkg files. You might run into some issues trying to mess with .rap files and eboots and edats and... PSN stuff is pretty painful sometimes... lol

Edit 2: On the rockstar thing yeah download PSNstuff that's the name of the program your looking for when it comes to DLC and PSN stuff.

When your trying to use ReactPSN make sure you have a folder on your USB drive called exdata with your .rap files. (I know it supports 2 or maybe 3 file types but I am having a brain fart on the other types it handles right now.)

Oh and make sure the USB thumb drive or what ever is plugged into the far right port or usb000... (Top port for me I keep mine upright.) in failing that you may need to edit your configuration file.) To do that start multiman go to your PC start Filezilla client and connect to your PS3 then dig around the file structure til you find the folder for ReactPSN there should be a configuration file in it. Download that to your PC change it to what ever usbXXX it should say at the root of your FTP session. save the changes then FTP it back to your PS3 it will ask if you want to overwrite say yes. Then exit out of multiman and try ReactPSN again.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has a USB ports with flat cable going outside. You may need to cut a hole to allow that cable going outside.

For Cobra ODE, one board assembly is exposed at the rear of the PS3. ODE can only use external HDD, it only emulates Bluray drive of PS3 (meaning it will never have the ability to access internal drive).

From what I can see of the Cobra ODE, it uses IDE hard drives? Which would you suggest, the 3Key? I assume those USB ports are for plugging in a USB hard drive?

Yeah, I used Aldostools. I extracted the PKG using the .rap but still all the .edat files were encrypted. Is there a guide for doing this? The most recent tool I found would try to brute force the key using the disc's eboot file, but it never found one for any of those games.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From what I can see of the Cobra ODE, it uses IDE hard drives? Which would you suggest, the 3Key? I assume those USB ports are for plugging in a USB hard drive?

Yeah, I used Aldostools. I extracted the PKG using the .rap but still all the .edat files were encrypted. Is there a guide for doing this? The most recent tool I found would try to brute force the key using the disc's eboot file, but it never found one for any of those games.
External drive means USB. Now some older PS3 uses PATA/IDE Bluray drive while most use SATA Bluray drive. That's for the BD drive, not external USB drive where it will be holding games.

I recommend 3k3y, since they are also behind x360key, a Xbox 360 ODE. Yes, that USB ports are for plugging in a USB hard drive.

As for pkg, I'm afraid I cannot help you with that. Like I said it uses AES as encryption, and to bruteforce AES-128 means going through 2^128 possible combinations (and that takes more time than you being alive). Unless you know the key you can't do a thing to it.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The program I found used the eboot.bin from the disc itself in order to bruteforce the key.. I don't know how it works, but supposedly it worked fine for some games. Just not Guitar Hero.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The program I found used the eboot.bin from the disc itself in order to bruteforce the key.. I don't know how it works, but supposedly it worked fine for some games. Just not Guitar Hero.
You mean Bruteforce EBOOT 1.3? Even the developer himself wrote this down,
This tool is more an EXPERIMENT than a real key finder... a 128bit key is expected to take milleniums to bruteforce it, but if you are extremely LUCKY you could find a rifkey using this method. Anyway, I'm sharing this because a friend asked me to make it to have some fun.

Or do you mean Bruteforce Edata 1.2.1? It seems like this program try to look for possible key(s) under each game and bruteforce each edat (no edat is encrypted with the same key) if none is found.

Either way bruteforce is the most time consuming way to brake encryption. Burteforce means trying out all possible combinations until you find the right one. Unless there has been a security loophole (like WIi Trucha Bug which nerfed 2^160 combinations to 2^8), you have to be "really lucky" like developers have said to successfully bruteforce a modern encryption.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The programs I was told to try are:

TrueAncestor_EDAT_Rebuilder_v1.1
BruteForce_Edat

What you do is load up the EDAT from the disc, then supposedly it can find a key and decrypt the DLC using that common key. I've seen posts about it working for some more popular titles (Call of Duty, etc)... but it never worked for me.

So... even if I do use ReactPSN to make the DLC work on my PS3, are you saying the .ebin files will still be encrypted? I'm sorta confused how that works.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ReactPSN use RAP file to activate/register PSN contents. RAP file can only be generated on system where legit PSN content originates.

In your case those programs cannot locate common key and went ahead to bruteforce it.

You are better off asking your question on PS3 Hax scene. Keep in mind though that PS3 homebrew developers usually don't share what they know unless you are part of the scene. I imagine the GeoHot incident spook them.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I have the RAP files for the PKG files. I also have some of the free DLC that I got with my own account so it's legit. So all the .rap file does is activate it, it doesn't decrypt the contents at all?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night