• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Jussie Smollett alleges he was victim of hate crime, police arrest him for faking it

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You're right about statistics, and I think his 75% number was pulled from ass most likely. But there is a compendium site with links to sources. There are other easily accessed sources/references such as a twitter hashtag to corral such stories, but there's definitely been a lot of events like this happening.

http://fakehatecrimes.org/

Most of what the site includes are instances of 'hate crimes' (ultimately proven false) as we would typically consider them. Some are relevant instances of libelous smears or threats, but not really hate crimes. Some, like links to the Covington HS story, are instances of alleged premature bias later proven false, but not really what you'd consider a hate crime. But it's a hell of a compilation.

The site does not make any representations of a ratio for fake vs. genuine hate crimes. Nor do I.
Eh, seems like a fairly sketchy and not particularly well-designed site. Especially given how many times I saw tabloids cited on there and how many are titled "okay so this isn't exactly a hate crime BUT..."

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, seems like a fairly sketchy and not particularly well-designed site. Especially given how many times I saw tabloids cited on there and how many are titled "okay so this isn't exactly a hate crime BUT..."

So you just dismiss it all in under 2 minutes.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not dismissing it outright, just saying it looks like a site where anyone is mostly free to post anything. So credibility of information there is bound to be mixed at best.

The site's very rudimentary, it's just a list to sources. The credibility of the information is dependent on the source given. I see ABC, NBC, CBS affiliates, the Des Moines Register, Richmond Times-Dispatch, Navy Times, DailyCaller (usually cites an original source), thecollegefix (again, look for original source in their reporting), Orlando Sentinel, Boston Herald, Chicago Sun Times, NY Times, etc etc. I would look deeper on some of the sources listed (infowars, which I see once, is not credible to me), but most are known.

Should also add that Kentucky State Univ. Poli-Sci Professor Wilfred Reilly referenced fakehatecrimes.org in his recent op-ed in USA Today.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...ired-cut-video-chicago-fox-column/2950146002/

Last edited by Hanafuda,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The site's very rudimentary, it's just a list to sources. The credibility of the information is dependent on the source given.
Exactly, so my thoughts are that you might as well be linking me to Reddit or Flipboard or any other news aggregate and telling me to verify each individual story myself. AFAIK there is no official record-keeping for the number of "faked" attacks or sexual assaults, but I wouldn't be opposed to establishing that, just as I wouldn't be opposed to establishing record-keeping for the number of unarmed civilians shot by police annually.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He could face up to max of 3 for the false police report (Class 4 felony by IL state code)
but bigger problems loam as the FBI has his "hate crime letter" that was filled with threatening things and white powder (which was just crushed aspirin) and he could actually face up to a max of 20 for federal mail fraud https://www.justice.gov/jm/criminal-resource-manual-940-18-usc-section-1341-elements-mail-fraud The powder its self could bring terrorism charges as well but before all of this happens they have to prove he himself sent the letter to charge him, it's either him or the two brothers that did it and either could face those charges
Yeah, when he did that, he was pretty much fucked. He got the FBI and everything involved. Once you fuck with the post office, you're committing a federal offense. The post office knows which mailboxes are used to mail letters, and a lot of mail boxes, esp in a major city have cameras near them. Or businesses near by will have a camera. He got the entire set shut down, and had people coming in with hazmat suits to clear the studio out.

Also, Jesus, the magazine he used to cut the letters out to make his hate note, he kept the magazines in his apartment, with the cut outs. Who keeps stuff like that?! If you wanted to commit a crime, you'd most likely take that through a paper shredder and toss it into a river or something.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
sm.png

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, so my thoughts are that you might as well be linking me to Reddit or Flipboard or any other news aggregate and telling me to verify each individual story myself. AFAIK there is no official record-keeping for the number of "faked" attacks or sexual assaults, but I wouldn't be opposed to establishing that, just as I wouldn't be opposed to establishing record-keeping for the number of unarmed civilians shot by police annually.

Personally, I prefer a compendium like this that only gives a reference to the source material for each instance, which lets me confirm the credibility of each event for myself. A few years ago the media and gun control advocates all over the internet were constantly using this website "shootingtracker" as the authority on how many mass shootings were taking place. But if you actually bothered to check that site, it had its own independent (lower standard) definition of what constituted a 'mass shooting,' they de-emphasized access to sources, and they were including events as 'mass shootings' that involved toy guns, bb guns, and counted people who sprained their ankle as shooting victims. Many of their sources were just dead links. It was geeks at Reddit, ironically, who audited the site to pieces and showed how full of shit it was. As a result, Shootingtracker changed its definition to the standard one used by the FBI, but I never see anyone, in particular the media, using it as "the authority" anymore, and for good reason.

Last edited by Hanafuda,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Personally, I prefer a compendium like this that only gives a reference to the source material for each instance, which lets me confirm the credibility of each event for myself. A few years ago the media and gun control advocates all over the internet were constantly using this website "shootingtracker" as the authority on how many mass shootings were taking place. But if you actually bothered to check that site, it had its own independent (lower standard) definition of what constituted a 'mass shooting,' they de-emphasized access to sources, and they were including events as 'mass shootings' that involved toy guns, bb guns, and counted people who sprained their ankle as shooting victims. Many of their sources were just dead links. It was geeks at Reddit, ironically, who audited the site to pieces and showed how full of shit it was. As a result, Shootingtracker changed its definition to the standard one used by the FBI, but I never see anyone, in particular the media, using it as "the authority" anymore, and for good reason.
Realistically who has time or wants to put the effort to go through hundreds of sources themselves to verify if they are correct?

At most, people go by “well it feels credible”, even do this for “known” credible sites (I highly doubt Xzi fact checks everything and just goes by it feels credible), and probably likely people will check only a few and assume the rest is credible.

You can’t even fully trust Mainstream News organizations of doing their jobs right. And everyday people have to take the credibility verification into their own hands. Especially after Covington and the fake Trunp Russia story that Muller himself said was fake.

But at the same time most everyday people will not go through to fact check all sources. For the dozens of topics that are out there. That is a lot of time wasted.

Last edited by SG854,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Realistically who has time or wants to put the effort to go through hundreds of sources themselves to verify if they are correct?

At most, people go by “well it feels credible”, even do this for “known” credible sites (I highly doubt Xzi fact checks everything and just goes by it feels credible), and probably likely people will check only a few and assume the rest is credible.

You can’t even fully trust Mainstream News organizations of doing their jobs right. And everyday people have to take the credibility verification into their own hands. Especially after Covington and the fake Trunp Russia story that Muller himself said was fake.

But at the same time most everyday people will not go through to fact check all sources. For the dozens of topics that are out there. That is a lot of time wasted.

Well, you have a point. But all I was saying is, I prefer and "trust" a site that simply links to original sources relating to a particular issue more than a site that purports to compile sources involving a particular issue into reportable statistics. When someone attempts to interject themselves as the interpreter and 'official' authority on the data, I smell agenda.

Maybe this is a generational thing. I grew up before there was an internet and you had to do your own research in a library with books. I tend to be a meticulous and skeptical motherfucker. My wife says I'm a professional asshole.

Last edited by Hanafuda,
Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Well, you have a point. But all I was saying is, I prefer and "trust" a site that simply links to original sources relating to a particular issue more than a site that purports to compile sources involving a particular issue into reportable statistics. When someone attempts to interject themselves as the interpreter and 'official' authority on the data, I smell agenda.

Maybe this is a generational thing. I grew up before there was an internet and you had to do your own research in a library with books. I tend to be a meticulous and skeptical motherfucker. My wife says I'm a professional asshole.
Being a skeptic is better than being a sheep...

Reactions: Hanafuda

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easy way for him to become popular but it didn't turn out as he expected. He got caught. lol

Actor James Woods raised an intriguing question on his twitter a few days back ... if two innocent white males who matched up with Jussie's description had been arrested for this 'crime,' would he have fessed up or let them be prosecuted?

D

Deleted User

If he wanted a raise, then he should try tidying up his look. A trip to the barber is cheaper and easier to pull off than a hoax.

D

Deleted User

Lol it's a TV show, they have their own stylists. This is just a weird thing to say. I won't call it racist, but it is weird.
I lived with someone with that hair and I can certainly tell you he doesn't use a stylist and he doesn't care that he's making everyone uncomfortable with his split ends which resemble public hair covering the place.

It's a hairstyle which requires as much care as he gives to the police and real crime victims.

Last edited by ,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I lived with someone with that hair and I can certainly tell you doesn't have a stylist and he doesn't care that he's making everyone uncomfortable with his split ends which resemble public hair covering the place.
The stylist does his hair and makeup for the show, not for every day appearances. Obviously even a gay man doesn't care as much about that as you. :lol:

Fashion faux pas are the least of his problems now, certainly.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol