Julius (Caesar III) port for Switch

NOTE: There are now nightly buildbot releases for Julius Switch. They can be found in the "Latest Unstable" column in the table on the official Julius webpage here: https://github.com/bvschaik/julius/

The last buildbot release includes a fix I did to reduce audio lag!

Overview:
This is my Switch port of Julius, a Caesar III re-implementation, based on devnoname120's Vita port.

Julius is an open source re-implementation of Caesar III.

Download: https://github.com/rsn8887/julius/releases/latest

Support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/rsn8887

The aim of this project is to create an open-source version of Caesar 3, with the same logic as the original, but with some UI enhancements, that is able to be played on multiple platforms. The same logic means that the saved games are 100% compatible, and any gameplay bugs present in the original Caesar 3 game will also be present in Julius.

julius_switch_d.jpg

julius_switch_a.jpg julius_switch_bb.jpg julius_switch_c.jpg

UI enhancements include:
- Support for widescreen resolutions
- Windowed mode support for 32-bit desktops

Julius requires the original assets (graphics, sounds, etc) from Caesar 3 to run.

Thanks
======
Thanks to my supporters on Patreon: Andyways, CountDuckula, Greg Gibson, Jesse Harlin, Özgür Karter, Matthew Machnee, and RadicalR.

Thanks to the many developers of the game, such as Bianca van Schaik, crudelius, and all the others who were involved in creating this game.

Thanks to @devnoname120 for porting the game to the Vita.

Installation Instructions
=====
- Extract the contents of julius_switch.zip into the `switch` folder on your SD card, so that you have a folder `switch/julius` with `julius.nro` inside.

- Copy all the files from a Caesar 3 install into the `switch/julius` folder on you SD card, so that you have the file `c3.eng` and more in your folder, in addition to `julius.nro`. Caesar 3 can be purchased from gog.com for example.

Switch-exclusive Features
=====
- USB mouse and keyboard support
- Left analog stick mouse control
- Right analog stick map scrolling
- Touchpad-style mouse controls with click gestures (short single tap for left click etc.)
- On-Screen keyboard via plus-key, useful to enter player name

Controls
=====
Left analog stick = move the mouse pointer
Right analog stick or dpad up/down/left/right = Move the map.
R / A = left mouse button
L / B = right mouse button
ZR = hold to slow down analog stick mouse pointer
ZL = hold to speed up analog stick mouse pointer
X = Simulate `Pg. Up` keypress (speed up in-game time)
Y = Simulate `Pg. Down` keypress (slow down in-game time)
Plus = Bring up on-screen keyboard, useful to enter player name etc.
Select = Toggle between direct touch mode (pointer jumps to finger, nothing else) and touchpad mode (drag pointer with finger, tap for single clicke etc.)

Touch controls
======
Note: for multi-touch gestures, the fingers have to be far enough apart from each other, so that the Vita will not erroneously recognize them as a single finger. Otherwise the pointer will jump around.

Single short tap = left mouse click
Single short tap while holding a second finger down = right mouse click
Single finger drag = move the mouse pointer, how far the pointer moves in response to finger motion depends on the Mouse Speed setting
Dual finger drag = drag'n'drop (left mouse button is held down)
Three finger drag = drag'n'drop (right mouse button is held down)

Build Instructions
=====
````
cmake -DSWITCH_BUILD=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../julius
make julius_switch.zip -j12
````

Note: vita build based on branch name `vita_switch_with_touch` commit 3367cb7194365ee5025f786adc9fd188f46319cd

Changelog
=====
v1.02
- Compile with latest source, should hopefully fix crashes with video playback
- Hold ZR/ZL for slow/fast mouse, useful for precise pointer control with left analog stick
- Implement direct touch mode where pointer jumps to finger directly (press minus to toggle)

v1.01

- First release on Switch

Last edited by rsn8887,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice job, but I prefer C&C type of strategy games ;).

I wish someone would port all C&C games 4 everything up to C&C generals which was the last good one.

I really would enjoy so much playing Red Alert II portable.

Reactions: cucholix

Brasse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
"Bluetooth mouse and keyboard support
- Touchpad-style mouse controls with click gestures (short single tap for left click etc.)
- On-Screen keyboard via plus-key, useful to enter player name"

Bless you man, managing to get Bluetooth inputs to work and even touch support! Great job.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Switch-exclusive Features
=====
- Bluetooth mouse and keyboard support
- On-Screen keyboard via plus-key, useful to enter player name
This is massive.
Thx for this port!

Ninn

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Oh, so nice! Never thought i would see this on my switch, great stuff keep it up.

Time for some nostalgia:yayswitch:

Griizly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
When I saw the port for VITA I was hoping for a switch version ! Thank you so much ! Do you think it will work with a translation pack ? FRENCH for example ?

@rsn8887 Tried just now to use the game with the french translation pack, it work except for the keyboard, the game freeze for 1 second and then goes back to normal when I press the "plus" button any idea ?

Last edited by Griizly,

rsn8887

OP
Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Typo fixed. Btw I also en
:unsure:

Nice port OP!
When I saw the port for VITA I was hoping for a switch version ! Thank you so much ! Do you think it will work with a translation pack ? FRENCH for example ?

@rsn8887 Tried just now to use the game with the french translation pack, it work except for the keyboard, the game freeze for 1 second and then goes back to normal when I press the "plus" button any idea ?

You have to start the game via nsp injection, not “album”. This is the same with all homebrew that uses the onscreen keyboard.

To start via nsp injection, hold R pressed while launching an installed nsp game. Hbmenu should now show up. Launch Julius there. Then it will work. All Homebrew should be launched like this. It gives much more memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over