Homebrew game Hunt for the Shadow Rider (Godot Port)

faithvoid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
virtual.dimensionless.space
XP
Country
Canada
Hi everyone! I had some time to kill today so I decided to port Hunt For The Shadow Rider by bluestreak0, a short but fun open-sourced cyberpunk-themed platformer that can be finished in about 10-15 minutes.

Original Description:

A rogue Shadow Rider has escaped to the year 2078. You are the only Hunter left who can take him down.

This is an open-source game made for the Open Jam 2019. The code is on github, at https://github.com/alexhuntley/Hunt-for-the-Shadow-Rider. It is under the GPLv3 license.

65Q4iQ.png

Controls:
D-Pad
: Move (L+R) / Jump + Climb (Up) / Crouch (Down)
B: Jump/Up (to make jumping a bit easier) / Cancel
Y: Shoot
Plus: Pause
Minus: Quit

Bugs:
  • Currently this can only really be played in handheld mode (with a working touchscreen) due to the menu requiring a mouse click, which is emulated via the touch screen. Hopefully I can set the right analog stick + right trigger to work as a mouse + left click in the next update, but I'm still learning the ins and outs of Godot scripting.​

• There may be some slowdown whenever new assets load in, but it's usually for a blip of a second and the game is short enough where it's not particularly a hindrance. The Switch has a tendency to not like loading multiple files at the same time that seems to lead to microstutters in a good chunk of Godot titles, so I'm not really sure how to work around it. I've tried tweaking a whole series of performance settings to no avail, so suggestions are appreciated!​

• Analog support isn't working due to the fact that combining it with the B-button jump leads to the character very slowly running to the edge of the screen until you spam the controls non-stop. Not sure what that's about, but it's a platformer so you should use a decent d-pad anyway. ;P​

You can download it directly from my GitHub link here! Place the .nro in a new folder inside of your sdmc:/switch/ folder (ie; sdmc:/switch/Godot/HuntForTheShadowRider) and you're good to go! Also make sure to give the original a peep, it's fully playable in your browser!

I replayed it a few times to make sure there weren't any game-breaking bugs or crashes, but if you discover anything out of the ordinary (as in, can't be replicated with the original HTML5/native version) please let me know!

I'm currently also working on ports of Diver Down by Escada Games + Titan Tactics by Team Potato, but if anyone has any suggestions (or wants me to port their personal project) for open-source Godot 3.0 games to port do let me know and I'll see what I can do!

Last edited by faithvoid,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.