1. rob61

OP rob61 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Got an early Switch that uses SXOS and dongle. Lately, the JoyCons are finicky and will only work when attached to the console. If I remove them, they do not work and can't sync. Any ideas on a solution short of buying new ones?

Last edited by rob61, Mar 3, 2021
    WiiMiiSwitch likes this.
  2. rob61
    This message by rob61 has been removed from public view by x65943, Mar 3, 2021, Reason: Double post.
    Mar 3, 2021
  3. WiiMiiSwitch

WiiMiiSwitch Cryptocurrency

United States
    You could install atmosphere

4. rob61

OP rob61 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I've been considering that. Do you think the controller issue is a result of SX OS? Also, does Atmosphere support the lastest games? I've noticed that the latest games can't be played because SX only supports 10.2 OS.

WiiMiiSwitch likes this.
  5. WiiMiiSwitch

WiiMiiSwitch Cryptocurrency

United States
    Atmosphere does, and sx supports 11.0 by the way. SX is outdated now, however, which is why switching to atmosphere is a good idea and may fix your problem

6. Prb

Prb GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Have you tried pairing them from within the switch joycon settings
    Do the little lights flash on the joycon side rails when they are detached from switch
    Also try and pair them to a android mobile phone or your pc
    Good way of testing

Last edited by Prb, Mar 3, 2021
  7. rob61

OP rob61 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I can get the lights on the siderails of the JoyCons to flash for a couple seconds and then they stop. I can't get them to sync. They had been working for the last few years since new. I was wondering if the rechargable batteries go bad. I tried pairing to my android phone. the phone finds the JoyCon and I was able to eventually get them to connect.

Last edited by rob61, Mar 3, 2021
  8. Prb

Prb GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Have you given them a good charge at least 24hr on the dock

9. Raugo

Raugo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    Did you check if the console have the airplane mode enabled?

link42586 likes this.
  10. tfocosta

tfocosta GBAtemp Z-Warrior

Canada
    In regards to charging, the Switch works like this:
    - Console charges though USB-C cable and without dock, but joy-cons don't.
    - Battery-drained joy-cons not charged in the dock will work only if attached to the charged console, as they will use console's battery to work as a portable, but won't work unattached from the console without being charged in the dock with console or on a dedicated joy-con charger.

If you haven't tried this yet, just charge the console in the dock with the joy-cons attached in order to also charge the joy-cons or use a dedicated joy-con charger as an alternative.

Not sure if this is the solution for your problem, but I hope it makes sense and helps you somehow. :)

MUDD_BR likes this.
  11. toxic9

toxic9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

You mean, joycons only charge on dock, and they dont charge when console is plugged to AC with usb-c charger?

I would like to know if is there any way to prevent the console from auto power on when connected to a charger.

12. tfocosta

tfocosta GBAtemp Z-Warrior

Canada
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean... It's weird but that's how it works. :)

What do you mean by "auto power on when connected to a charger"? It may power on, but you can always switch it off once you have the charger connected and it shouldn't do it on its own again. ^_^

13. toxic9

toxic9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

This should explain why my joycons are always drained!

When my switch is also drained, I plug it to AC charger. It auto powers on. I think this is an idiot behaviour. None of my other devices do this when plugged.

Sometimes, after long period of drained battery, the switch blinks the screen and dont charge. Do you noticed this?
    I have to charge it on RCM to stop the blinking!!!

14. acho

acho Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Indonesia
    I had the same problem. I had to change the ribbon flex cable of the joycon to fix the sync issue. Be sure to get the correct ones (left joycon or right joycon)

Attached Files:

SodaSoba likes this.
  15. SodaSoba

SodaSoba {iconic}

United Kingdom
    I had this issue also! I got flex cables from AliExpress for like $3 to fix it

16. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Do you have an emuMMC?

17. .Darky

.Darky GBAtemp Maniac

Peru
    I'm having the same problem. I recently migrated from SX to Atmosphere and my joycons only work when attached to the console both on emuNAND and sysNAND. I've tried pairing them again and they still won't work when unattached.

18. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Joycon has it own firmware you can try updating that see if that fix anything.

19. .Darky

.Darky GBAtemp Maniac

Peru
    I'll give it a shot.

20. mikefor20

mikefor20 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Migrate if you want but SXOS is not the problem. Also, for the record, SXOS is compatible with 11.0 and all current software. If i were you i would update your EmuNAND to 11.0 and keep it around so you can still use USB loading if you want. You can backup the EmuNAND. Keep it on your PC. Or you can have 2 EmuNANDs on the same SD. You could have a separate card as well. One for Atmosphere and one for SX. Don't expect it to fix your joycon issue. Atmosphere has no XCI/USB loading.

21. rob61

OP rob61 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    A couple new games need 11.0.1, which is not supported with current SX OS. I just ordered a new 512 Micro SD card in hopes that I can use that for a "dual system", one that works as it does now under SX OS, and then put in the new SD card, and have that support 11.0.1 (and future OS) which will play the new games coming out now. I did get the joycons working so now its getting 11.0.1 running on the Switch without losing support of SX OS. I will search here to see if there is a good tutorial explaining how to use Atmosphere.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - attached, JoyCons,