Hacking JoyCons only work when attached

rob61

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got an early Switch that uses SXOS and dongle. Lately, the JoyCons are finicky and will only work when attached to the console. If I remove them, they do not work and can't sync. Any ideas on a solution short of buying new ones?

Last edited by rob61,

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
I've been considering that. Do you think the controller issue is a result of SX OS? Also, does Atmosphere support the lastest games? I've noticed that the latest games can't be played because SX only supports 10.2 OS.
Atmosphere does, and sx supports 11.0 by the way. SX is outdated now, however, which is why switching to atmosphere is a good idea and may fix your problem

Prb

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Got an early Switch that uses SXOS and dongle. Lately, the JoyCons are finicky and will only work when attached to the console. If I remove them, they do not work and can't sync. Any ideas on a solution short of buying new ones?
Have you tried pairing them from within the switch joycon settings
Do the little lights flash on the joycon side rails when they are detached from switch
Also try and pair them to a android mobile phone or your pc
Good way of testing

Last edited by Prb,

rob61

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried pairing them from within the switch joycon settings
Do the little lights flash on the joycon side rails when they are detached from switch
Also try and pair them to a android mobile phone or your pc
Good way of testing
I can get the lights on the siderails of the JoyCons to flash for a couple seconds and then they stop. I can't get them to sync. They had been working for the last few years since new. I was wondering if the rechargable batteries go bad. I tried pairing to my android phone. the phone finds the JoyCon and I was able to eventually get them to connect.

Last edited by rob61,

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
In regards to charging, the Switch works like this:
- Console charges though USB-C cable and without dock, but joy-cons don't.
- Battery-drained joy-cons not charged in the dock will work only if attached to the charged console, as they will use console's battery to work as a portable, but won't work unattached from the console without being charged in the dock with console or on a dedicated joy-con charger.

If you haven't tried this yet, just charge the console in the dock with the joy-cons attached in order to also charge the joy-cons or use a dedicated joy-con charger as an alternative.

Not sure if this is the solution for your problem, but I hope it makes sense and helps you somehow. :)

Reactions: MUDD_BR

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
You mean, joycons only charge on dock, and they dont charge when console is plugged to AC with usb-c charger?

I would like to know if is there any way to prevent the console from auto power on when connected to a charger.

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
You mean, joycons only charge on dock, and they dont charge when console is plugged to AC with usb-c charger?

I would like to know if is there any way to prevent the console from auto power on when connected to a charger.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean... It's weird but that's how it works. :)

What do you mean by "auto power on when connected to a charger"? It may power on, but you can always switch it off once you have the charger connected and it shouldn't do it on its own again. ^_^

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, that's exactly what I mean... It's weird but that's how it works. :)

What do you mean by "auto power on when connected to a charger"? It may power on, but you can always switch it off once you have the charger connected and it shouldn't do it on its own again. ^_^

This should explain why my joycons are always drained!

When my switch is also drained, I plug it to AC charger. It auto powers on. I think this is an idiot behaviour. None of my other devices do this when plugged.

Sometimes, after long period of drained battery, the switch blinks the screen and dont charge. Do you noticed this?
I have to charge it on RCM to stop the blinking!!!

acho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I had the same problem. I had to change the ribbon flex cable of the joycon to fix the sync issue. Be sure to get the correct ones (left joycon or right joycon)

Attachments

• joycon flex cable.jpg
    joycon flex cable.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: SodaSoba

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I'm having the same problem. I recently migrated from SX to Atmosphere and my joycons only work when attached to the console both on emuNAND and sysNAND. I've tried pairing them again and they still won't work when unattached.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the same problem. I recently migrated from SX to Atmosphere and my joycons only work when attached to the console both on emuNAND and sysNAND. I've tried pairing them again and they still won't work when unattached.

Joycon has it own firmware you can try updating that see if that fix anything.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Migrate if you want but SXOS is not the problem. Also, for the record, SXOS is compatible with 11.0 and all current software. If i were you i would update your EmuNAND to 11.0 and keep it around so you can still use USB loading if you want. You can backup the EmuNAND. Keep it on your PC. Or you can have 2 EmuNANDs on the same SD. You could have a separate card as well. One for Atmosphere and one for SX. Don't expect it to fix your joycon issue. Atmosphere has no XCI/USB loading.

rob61

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Migrate if you want but SXOS is not the problem. Also, for the record, SXOS is compatible with 11.0 and all current software. If i were you i would update your EmuNAND to 11.0 and keep it around so you can still use USB loading if you want. You can backup the EmuNAND. Keep it on your PC. Or you can have 2 EmuNANDs on the same SD. You could have a separate card as well. One for Atmosphere and one for SX. Don't expect it to fix your joycon issue. Atmosphere has no XCI/USB loading.
A couple new games need 11.0.1, which is not supported with current SX OS. I just ordered a new 512 Micro SD card in hopes that I can use that for a "dual system", one that works as it does now under SX OS, and then put in the new SD card, and have that support 11.0.1 (and future OS) which will play the new games coming out now. I did get the joycons working so now its getting 11.0.1 running on the Switch without losing support of SX OS. I will search here to see if there is a good tutorial explaining how to use Atmosphere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr