Hardware JoyCon Update

MarzDaindigo

Indigo Marz - No HooX
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
System keeps asking me to attach joycons for and update, i guess it went ahead and did my left one but i keep my right ones pins covered with aluminum foil cuz reasons. So can someone tell me what it does and if its safe update it, ive tried to research it but to no avail. ‍♂️

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Latest Joy-con FW will detect pin 10+9 shorting (maybe even others, no idea), you should solder a magnetic switch or mod the detach pin with something that makes contact when fully pressed or add a physical button to the joy-con or use a jig and remove it right after entering RCM.

Reactions: MarzDaindigo

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was reported here for quite some time already, however I can't find that info ;), it was posted by several users...

I sadly can't remember the cons of it, but I remember that they reported in RCM the joy-con can't detect it, so if you use a jig, button or magnetic Switch after entering RCM you can stop shorting so it won't be detected after lunching CFW or Horizon OS without having a short anymore, the problem is mostly after loading the OS and still being shorted continuously.

Other way that is not detected reported by some users is to also use a resistor between pin 10 and 9, however if your going to solder then its just better to use a magnetic switch instead or use the dettach pin with 2 contacts that when fully press short or add a new physical button and if you still want a resistor, you can still add it to the other methods together.

Its also better to use like pin 10 and 1 or 10 and 7 instead of 9 and 10...

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: morrison22

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use a jig or other methods without permanently shorting pin 10 and 9, you are totally safe to do the update.

But I hope someone else can comment about the Joy-con Firmware update detecting the pins 10+9 permanent shorting and what are the cons (it might not even be a valid argument anymore as incredibly I can't find the info:unsure:)

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
~~snip
I no longer have the joycon firmware.

If you use a jig or other methods without permanently shorting pin 10 and 9, you are totally safe to do the update.

But I hope someone else can comment about the Joy-con Firmware update detecting the pins 10+9 permanent shorting and what are the cons (it might not even be a valid argument anymore as incredibly I can't find the info:unsure:)
If the pins are permanently shorted to 9+10 the joycon will only work in bluetooth mode and I believe it wont charge anymore

Last edited by Lumince,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If anyone wants to downgrade their joycons to a non short block update let me know. I have backups of my joycons and got it tested that they can be downgraded via ANYONES backups. You just have to change the serial number to yours via hex edit.

If the pins are permanently shorted to 9+10 the joycon will only work in bluetooth mode and I believe it wont charge anymore

unless you break more than the pins, it will still charge. but it wont show the charging bold it in any menues.

Reactions: Lumince

Koko210

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
If anyone wants to downgrade their joycons to a non short block update let me know. I have backups of my joycons and got it tested that they can be downgraded via ANYONES backups. You just have to change the serial number to yours via hex edit.

How does one go about downgrading a Joy Con's FW? I have an already modded right one that doesn't get detected as attached anymore and a Switch on 5.1.0

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does one go about downgrading a Joy Con's FW? I have an already modded right one that doesn't get detected as attached anymore and a Switch on 5.1.0
Do you have a permanent short on pins 10 and 9?

Also Joy-cons Firmware update is separated from System updates, there is an option inside Switch menu to update joy-con firmware.

Koko210

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria

Also Joy-cons Firmware update is separated from System updates, there is an option inside Switch menu to update joy-con firmware.

Well, yes, although I can remove the bridge between the pins, I believe that's what you'd call a permanent mod. Didn't manage to fit a manget in

Last edited by Koko210,

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I believe it can update on its own sometimes? or if you accidentally click it?
This method that I shared via pm allows you to downgrade the config settings in the joycon itself, allowing the short to work again without the issue of it not connecting via rail.

Last edited by Lumince,

redmageii

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Hey.
I know it's been some time, but how does it work? I've been trying to downgrade my left joy-con because since the latest controller update, my left joy-con's analog started to "drift" once it reaches the top extremity, slowly moving back to the center when it's visibly already there. After some tests, I realized it was bound to the controller's firmware and/or settings.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey.
I know it's been some time, but how does it work? I've been trying to downgrade my left joy-con because since the latest controller update, my left joy-con's analog started to "drift" once it reaches the top extremity, slowly moving back to the center when it's visibly already there. After some tests, I realized it was bound to the controller's firmware and/or settings.

i too wonder about the joycon downgrades. is there a homebrew for it or something?

as for your drifting, I've seen a lot of people online fix joycon drift by cleaning the sticks below the cap with a brush or a cotton swab.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey.
Sorry I did not see this post. So with the downgrade, you can basically use anyones backup by changing the mac address/serial number (cant remember which) in the backup to yours. I forget how the sequence goes, but the its reversed and flipped I believe. When downgrading the joycons settings will be reset to the backup, but the version number will remain the same.

Im not sure if downgrading would fix drifting, but I know that downgrading does work. One of my friends had his 9 and 10 pin soldered together and updated it and it had the normal issues... Flashing my backup restored its full function.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i too wonder about the joycon downgrades. is there a homebrew for it or something?

as for your drifting, I've seen a lot of people online fix joycon drift by cleaning the sticks below the cap with a brush or a cotton swab.
No homebrew. You need a backup older than your joycons fw from ANY joycon and that joycon fw dumper program for windoes (I have no idea what its called)

Reactions: redmageii

ILIEKPI

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What program did you use to downgrade them? I have firmware backups but don't know how to downgrade the Joycon because no windows programs have been able to do it (at least ones I have come across)

Tekimoto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I believe it can update on its own sometimes? or if you accidentally click it?
This method that I shared via pm allows you to downgrade the config settings in the joycon itself, allowing the short to work again without the issue of it not connecting via rail.
Hello I just bought my switch in hopes of hacking it.I know I must not firmware update but i updated the joycons.My switch fw is 4.1/. Did I fuck up?

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit jig methods rise again ... please avoid the tinfoil method ... pin 4 is hot.. shorting that can break switch and or joycon.. a simple slip of the tinfoil can fck you..
ashura appears in 3 2 1 .... :P

Tekimoto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Sorry for spamming I am nervous.I updated my right joycon.I never intended to solder my joicon,i planned to do the hacking with the jig thing.Am I still ok to go?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)