Hardware Joycon no led's

warmo161

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Found out the other day my right joycon LED's stopped working, although when docked, the controller is fine. Did some googling and aperently its a known issue with one of the ribbon cables for the joycon rails

Why is it the switch has so many reliability issues? This is actually the second time im going to use the repair centre and they both for joycon problems

Are joycons made today any better than when the switch first came out? If so I was thinking on getting another pair (Apart from sending my broken one in)

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Found out the other day my right joycon LED's stopped working, although when docked, the controller is fine. Did some googling and aperently its a known issue with one of the ribbon cables for the joycon rails

Why is it the switch has so many reliability issues? This is actually the second time im going to use the repair centre and they both for joycon problems

Are joycons made today any better than when the switch first came out? If so I was thinking on getting another pair (Apart from sending my broken one in)
Have you had them to bits? They don`t like being pulled those cables.

They normally snap a trace right at the end, where it goes into the FPC connector.

You can tin these exposed ends with solder... Just tin them - don`t blob them up... This CAN fix the broken trace by making the solder bridge the gap.

Your mileage may vary of course... But thats where they normally go.

Tin / reflow with solder, then put it back in the FPC. You won`t melt the cable. Its made to withstand soldering temperatures (ie like Kapton)

Simples.

warmo161

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you had them to bits? They don`t like being pulled those cables.

They normally snap a trace right at the end, where it goes into the FPC connector.

You can tin these exposed ends with solder... Just tin them - don`t blob them up... This CAN fix the broken trace by making the solder bridge the gap.

Your mileage may vary of course... But thats where they normally go.

Tin / reflow with solder, then put it back in the FPC. You won`t melt the cable. Its made to withstand soldering temperatures (ie like Kapton)

Simples.

Yes, i took it apart to attempt replacing the shell with a clear one, but its been closed up for over a year with no problems til now
Its the ribbon cable thats been folded and if you move it back it does still work but it isnt practical

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, i took it apart to attempt replacing the shell with a clear one, but its been closed up for over a year with no problems til now
Its the ribbon cable thats been folded and if you move it back it does still work but it isnt practical
Yeah they do fold. Are you sure its broken on the fold? I`ve seen failures on the "fold" but they normally split in half. They definitely don`t work then.

warmo161

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah they do fold. Are you sure its broken on the fold? I`ve seen failures on the "fold" but they normally split in half. They definitely don`t work then.

Yep its definetly the fold (well i think anyways) it has line through where the fold is and giving it a wiggle and strightning it out, it works again (Ive had to take the joycon apart and replace the back shell and buttons back to stock for when I send it to repair)

Ive seen replacement rails on aliexpress but they dont look like complete parts so Im gonna avoid it if i can

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yep its definetly the fold (well i think anyways) it has line through where the fold is and giving it a wiggle and strightning it out, it works again (Ive had to take the joycon apart and replace the back shell and buttons back to stock for when I send it to repair)

Ive seen replacement rails on aliexpress but they dont look like complete parts so Im gonna avoid it if i can
I think, if it were me, I`d have a go at scraping the mask off the ribbon and tinning it.

warmo161

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think, if it were me, I`d have a go at scraping the mask off the ribbon and tinning it.

I have no idea what that means, ill probably leave it for the moment and attempt to send it into nintendo
I can do basic soldering and stuff but i dont really want to break anything more than it is

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh
    ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too:rofl2:
    Oh god, I really am old. lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @SylverReZ, sup Sylv!
    +1
    Anyway, I gotta go to the store. L8er guys. Oops, I better put some clothes on :shy::tpi::rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Hey there Sickly.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Make sure the cops don't see that.
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: hi