Jet Set Radio

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Guild McCommunist, Jan 23, 2013.

Jan 23, 2013

Jet Set Radio by Guild McCommunist at 9:58 PM (427 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    So I bought it for my PS3 and am I the only one who is thinking this game is utter crap?

Aesthetically I like it, the music is pleasant and the art is certainly unique. But the game itself is just god awful. I keep experiencing framerate issues on my PS3 with it, the camera keeps jerking around, and the controls are so unwieldy. Not to mention every level is a timed "I have no idea where I'm going" type of thing.

Like I personally just can't see this being the "hidden gem" or "unappreciated classic" everyone said it was.

Does it get any better or is it just "Oh you have to 'master' the game" type of situation?

2. Flame

Member Flame Me > You

jet set radio is one of those games where, if your straight "you just need to get used to sucking dick, Im sure with time you'll get used to it"

DinohScene likes this.
  3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The framerate was fine and the controls were fine... on the DC, what with it being native, and having those triggers and shit.

But yeah a lot of it is aimless wandering, trying to find stuff to fuck up.

4. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    It's just weird that it runs fine on the Dreamcast but not on the infinitely more powerful PS3.

I don't really have an issue with the controls, it's just that the game controls so fucking poorly. I'll aim myself perfectly at a railing and I'll just miss it. Plus the game is all about keeping up momentum and every level is crowded with shit. So combine that with the shoddy controls (not in terms of the controller but in terms of how the game processes inputs or detects collisions) and you're basically stumbling like an idiot most of the time.

Like I can see the game has potential, I like the concept and the art, so maybe Jet Set Radio Future is better, but I don't want to take a gamble on it.

5. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    Hmm this was a blast on Dreamcast, i can't speak for other versions as i only re-purchased the one on Steam for PC for the collection, not installed and played since the old days.

In its core IIRC all you must do is collect paint bombs and do graffitis on a select number of targets for every level. Cel shading was very novel for its time and the killer soundtrack pinned it.

6. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Well I understand the objective but the execution is just shoddy.

Your character is hard to control, rail grinding is terribly flawed (jumping onto rails or rail-to-rail is just terrible) so getting paint cans is hard, finding the objectives is even harder as there's no map or indicators unless you're close to them, and the camera and floaty controls makes keeping momentum a nightmare.

7. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    Ouch, it seems like a poor port if nothing was updated at all, like HD and reworked controls.. With the original there was little issue to controls but i forget about map and targets, it was about 13+ years back.
    I was tempted to purchase it on the PSN for my upcoming Vita but i guess i'll read some more reviews.. Thanks for yours, Guild sorry for the lost few bucks on this one.

8. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Glad that I'm already do that :tpi:

9. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    It sounds like everything but video killed the Jet Set Radio star.