Japanese/English Hardware

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Seccom Masada, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Seccom Masada
    OP

Seccom Masada GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2007
    Hey, I was thinking of buying a Kingdom Hearts special edition 3DS (Japanese) and swapping the motherboards with my ambassador teal American one, so I get the cool look without changing anything else. Would there be any compatibility issues, wiring, whatever, that would prevent this? I wouldn't think so, but I figured I'd ask. The only difference would be the screens, and I doubt those are region-locked :P

2. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
  3. Seccom Masada
    OP

Seccom Masada GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2007
    That's what I'm gonna buy, yeah, the KH3DS special edition. I'm just pretty sure I can't transfer my NA, ambassador-status DS to the J mobo via the system menu and suddenly play NA version games on it, so I'm just swapping the guts instead, making it an NA version 3DS with a KH case. This should, I think, work.

Unless they're gonna release an NA KH special edition in the states, I don't know how likely that'll be...

4. ferofax

ferofax End of the World

Jan 26, 2009
    Philippines
    good luck with that. i hope you don't ruin two 3DSes in the process, one an ambassador and one a special edition.

5. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    I remember doing this with GameCube memory cards so that I could have silver memory cards to match my GC colour, but with larger storage capacity. This sounds like a slightly larger job, though ;-) Good luck, but I wouldn't write off the chances of a localized KH: Special Edition 3DS.