Japan gets Resident Evil VII Cloud Version for the Nintendo Switch

Resident Evil VII is getting a Nintendo Switch version, just not in the traditional sense. Titled "Resident Evil VII Cloud", players will be able to download a 45MB launcher onto their Switch, which will stream the entire game through the cloud. You'll need a constant stable internet connection to access it, and as of the initial announcement, it's only going to be available in Japan. All of Resident Evil VII and its DLC content is playable, and there's even a 15 minute free demo of the game for those curious to try it out. After that, it'll cost 2,000 Yen to rent the title for 180 days. Resident Evil VII Cloud will be available on the Japanese Switch eShop on May 24.

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So... a completely single player game that DEMANDS from player stable internet connection and with time-limited renting instead of normal purchase?
Color me funny, but for me it's a fucking joke. If this is how Nintendo wants to use their online systems now then fuck them.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm just curious how this will turn out. You can't get more mobile than on the switch, and resident evil 7 is a pretty detailed game. It's a bold achievement to claim that this'll work lag free, so...I'm curious how that'll work.

What I don't really get is the negativity from people who live up to half a world away from Japan. Guys...you realize that this is a 20GB game, right? Do you really want to remove most other games from your 32GB device, and probably spend an hour downloading and installing it, just to be able to play it?

"but you're renting games!!!"

Yeah...so what? One of the most heard arguments of physical games these days is to be able to resell it. If you ignore the fact that it doesn't end up with the original owner (that is: if you don't sell it to a game store), it's effectively renting as well. The difference is that the "renting period" is much longer in this case.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also don't get the hate. Streaming isn't a bad thing. Admittedly this type of thing works for an online only game like Monster Hunter World. At the very least we should accept this one game and then nag the hell out of Capcom for Monster Hunter World.

Having streaming games doesn't mean that developers will abandon Switch development. it's a compliment to native Switch games. That said, as long as Switch owners put developers on notice that they still want native games, there is a chance for a balance to be found. People these days need to get rid of their "all or nothing" attitude. Nothing in life is all or nothing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later