troc80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midnight said:
Midnight said:
I own a Japanese 3.2J Wii modded with a Wiikey 1.9s.

Unlike many other Wiikey owners, I'm not really all that interested in downloading and playing backups. Instead, I simply want to be able to play original (store-bought) NTSC-U games on my console.

Consequently, can someone please advise me as to whether (and how) I can play the original NTSC-U versions of these games on my Wii?

1. Super Smash Bros Brawl
2. Mario Kart
3. Pokemon Battle Revolution

Since these are original discs, I won't be able to apply any iso patches. Unfortunately, the game compatibility list on this site doesn't seem to indicate whether these games work without being patched. And I can't try them out myself, since I don't want to purchase the games before knowing whether I can actually play them without bricking my console.
Update: I was able to load and play the original NTSC-U versions of Mario Kart and SSBB perfectly fine. For Mario Kart, the console prompted me to perform an update, which I allowed to proceed (with my Wiikey's Update Blocker & Dev Mode settings enabled). SSBB did not indicate that it needed any updates. I did not need to use Freeloader for either game, and I did not experience any semi-bricking or duplicate channels. Hopefully this experience helps someone else out there.

My Wii has the same condition as yours
But when I tried Mario Kart the way you did (with Wiikey's Update Blocker & Dev Mode settings enabled), it installed 2 duplicated channels (fortunately, no semi-brick occurred). Eventhough I can run Mario Kart normally after that (as I always do with Freeloader), SSBB still asks for update.
When I tried Wii Fit PAL (without Freeloader), it didn't ask for update but blackscreen appears after the safety instruction screen.

Question is "could my Wii be bricked if I run update from SSBB or just duplicated channels installed?"

I guess if you have Wii 3.2J Wiikey 1.9s and can't run MKW, SSBB normally without updating anything, then you should stick with Freeloader solution

r0ckizta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi i got my 3.1Jap Wii with d2ckey installed and try to play SSBB ang Mario Kart it reads the game but when i tried to launched it didn't load only blackscreen displayed on my tv.. please help thanks

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
fellow Filipino, you could try booting through the gecko region free worked that way

r0ckizta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@jan777 i also tried to play MP3 when i launched the game something popup on the screen then it installed something after that i have some duplicate channel on my wii, is it brick or seme-brick? how do i removed that?

jan777

Trophies
XP
Country
have you tried to access the menu?(wrench button)

if you can access it your fine you can use a dup channel remover

heres a tutorial for homebrew : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=83479

then install the homebrew channel and launch the gecko region free, i m not really sure if it would work but some reported mkwii working but SSBB will only work with 1.3 versions or betas and you can launch duplicated channel remover

jan777

Trophies
XP
Country
also you may not be able to play the SSBB without updating

1ns4nity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone got a PAL wiiware game to work on a Jap wii yet?

I just tried TOkiToki using free the wads with

1)region free
2)Set to Jap region

both did not work and resulted in a black screen after launching the game.

Maybe our jap wii can only play NTSU/U wiiware games?

baseline007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1ns4nity said:

1)region free
2)Set to Jap region

tried that too.. didnt work.. also tried the ntsc-u version, didnt work as well..
tv-show king US version work but with japanese language, apparently it detects the language used by the console... jap wii users like us are stuck with jap.. unless somebody makes a patch or like a wglp for wiiware wads... which i hope someone will..

bubbleboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the PAL Lego Indiana Jones work on JAP? Anyone? Bueller?
biggrin.gif

baseline007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@bubbleboy

i dunno yet, prolly cant help with that coz im currently gettin the US version.. Its almost done and ill let y'all know as soon as possible..

AWenthusiast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Since there's no information posted on compatibility yet here is my result:

Lego.Indiana.Jones.USA.WII-SUSHi working on NTSC-J Wii 3.1j 1.9g wiikey
Wum1.1 reported bricking risk so I used Brick Blocker 1.3R2 and patched it with wglpv2 language patcher to setting 1 just in case.

edit: for anyone wondering what update is on the disc, 3.1U_v3

aandex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
janjo777 said:
using pal games has lower compatibility on ntsc wiis

search for the region patcher compatibility list in the wiki

Thanks for help. I checked the compatibility list and it says SMG (US) works on Jap wii. I tried it just then but it still comes up with a black screen. I patched it with brickblocker and regionfrii and I have one of the d2c modchips (not sure which one). So please help!

AWenthusiast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
aandex, If I remember right the problem is with the language coding setting. So what u need to do is open the iso with trucha and extract the main.dol and patch it with wglpv2 (language patcher) to setting 1 (english). And then replace patched main.dol it with the original one in the iso and make sure u Trucha sign the partition again. I think u should be fine with your chip, I have wiikey so I had to update to 1.9g. And that's it!
edit: you also might wanna check the iso if there is an update issue with wum1.1 and brickblock the iso just in case.

jan777

Trophies
XP
Country
or use the geckoRF which is a lot of help avoiding updates and auto WGLP to english for those who has original copies or cannot patch

daegunlee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
baseline007 said:
1ns4nity said:

1)region free
2)Set to Jap region

tried that too.. didnt work.. also tried the ntsc-u version, didnt work as well..
tv-show king US version work but with japanese language, apparently it detects the language used by the console... jap wii users like us are stuck with jap.. unless somebody makes a patch or like a wglp for wiiware wads... which i hope someone will..

To run Toki Tori PAL on NTSC-J Wii: (Almost general patch method if freethewads failed.)

Edit: 25/June

What you will need:
Generic Wii Patcher 1.1
wadpacker, wadunpacker (which is included in auto injectuwad v3)
common-key.bin

Getting started:
-Unzip all the tools to a folder called wiivc on your hard drive. Note: you can name this whatever you want but wiivc is the folder I will use in this tutorial.
-Copy the host wad(TokiTori.PAL.wad) into to wiivc

Unpacking your host wad:
Now we must use the command line
-Start a command line via Start->run->cmd
-Type "cd\wiivc" (without quotes), wiivc should be the name of the folder you installed all the tools to
-Type "wadunpacker " (without quotes) where is the name of the host wad file.
-A new folder will be created with a bunch of numbers, browse to it.
-Rename the following files:
xxxxxxxxxx.cert->title.cert
xxxxxxxxxx.tik->title.tik
xxxxxxxxxx.tmd->title.tmd
-Copy all files to folder wiivc (or where ever your install is)
-Check to make sure you have all the following files in your wiivc folder:
00000000.app
00000001.app
00000002.app
00000003.app
00000004.app
00000005.app
00000006.app
00000007.app
title.cert
title.tik
title.tmd

OPTIONAL BUT HIGHLY SUGGESTED:
At this point it is important to test to make sure the host files were created properly.

Essentially, we'll be repacking the original wad and installing it to the wii to make sure everything is intact.
-Type "wadpacker title.tik title.tmd title.cert -sign" )
-new wad will be created
-Install the wad how you normally would
-If the wad installs and plays properly you're ready to patch! (For Toki Tori PAL, only channel image is displayed and the game halts. That is normal.)

-Run Generic Wii Patcher and press OPEN button to load the 00000001.app(You need type full file name manually).
-Push Search button in Error 001-Fix and then Remove 001 button.
-Push Search in Video mode changer and then PAL-2-NTSC button.
-Push Search in Console language detection, select English and then Patch button.
-Push Search in Country strings and select JP and push Patch string button.
-Push Save to write to file.

-Run wadpacker again like previous step.

Copy the wad and use Wad Installer on Wii!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tested Toki Tori (PAL) on my Jap Wii and the game worked with English text.

jan777

Trophies
XP
Country
uhm jinx?

can you also do these to other wiiwares and post them on the site?

i would for myself but i always get erors when installing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, JonTron's back yet again until he disappears into the void for another 6 or...