jamais vu - a 1.0.0 TrustZone code execution exploit for the Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by SciresM, Jan 20, 2018.

1. XxShalevElimelechxX

XxShalevElimelechxX GBAtemp Fan

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    But I didn't talk about 4.x, I've talked about 2.x..

2. RayD97

RayD97 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 2, 2015
    Canada
    What a golden spot everything is in. Switch is doing fantastic and we have this now!

3. TX will release before that for those users :)

4. taxco

taxco GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    NL
    Good work guys, congrats

5. Break_The_Beat

Break_The_Beat Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2018
    Netherlands
    Congratz, good work :)

6. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    Wow. This is huge news!

Great work man!

7. SnAQ
    This message by SnAQ has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  8. Burai-ha
    This message by Burai-ha has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  9. SnAQ
    This message by SnAQ has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  10. FliP0x

FliP0x GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2016
    Croatia
    -snip-

The PSP scene was great, I really enjoyed and gladly look back to the times. The PSP still is the best emulation handheld to this day, soon to be replaced with the switch.

isoboy likes this.
  11. isoboy
    This message by isoboy has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  12. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  13. Foupen
    This message by Foupen has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  14. RedHunter
    This message by RedHunter has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  15. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Great, now let the speculation begin. Oh, wait.
    Great news though!

16. SnAQ
    Jan 20, 2018
  17. SnAQ
    Jan 20, 2018
  18. yardie
    This message by yardie has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  19. Tsubakiandou
    This message by Tsubakiandou has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  20. Memoir
    This message by Memoir has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  21. SnAQ

SnAQ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 20, 2010
    Ok, i apologize for my behavior regarding my anti-piracy stance and I'll take that elsewhere from now on.

My biggest concern is the eventual cheaters that'll ruin online for everyone.

And yes, this is for 1.0.0 but the Wii U had a working firmware spoofer.

Again, i apologize for my behavior and toxic attitude.

Sent from my F8331 via Tapatalk

22. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yes, but that only forbids the distribution of pirated material, it doesn't say we can't talk about it. But calling people "morons" over grammatical errors, no offense, is a douchey thing to say. You can be anti-piracy all you want, but please don't try to force others to follow, people are allowed to have whatever stance they want on piracy.

Where does it say in the rules that piracy discussion isn't allowed?

Sharing links and warez = no dice
    Discussing and mentioning it = within the TOS

People are allowed to pirate however they will, outside of the forums, who are you to tell us what we can or can't do outside the Temp?

Last edited by the_randomizer, Jan 20, 2018
  23. SG854
    This message by SG854 has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  24. SnAQ
    Jan 20, 2018
  25. SG854
    This message by SG854 has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  26. FliP0x

FliP0x GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2016
    Croatia
    Cheating has nothing to do with piracy.

Cheating is mainly abusing game systems with 3rd party tools or software, while piracy is running game backups without owning the actual game.

27. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Cheating isn't pirating, cheating is the modifying of a game's memory addresses/offsets. Hacking, yes, but not pirating. Big difference. Your sheer toxicity to the discussion, name-calling for mistakes, just lay off the pills for a while.

Pirating = distribution of illegally copied media
    Cheating = modification of a game's data to gain unfair advantage

How are those related again?

28. SnAQ
    This message by SnAQ has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: Offtopic bickering.
    Jan 20, 2018
  29. SnAQ
    This message by SnAQ has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: Offtopic bickering.
    Jan 20, 2018
  30. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    I hope Nintendo has a zero tolerance stance on cheating this time around.. I doubt it, but i agree. Cheating in online was an issue before.. Don't need it now.

DarthDub and leonmagnus99 like this.
  31. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: Offtopic bickering.
    Jan 20, 2018
  32. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    i think cheaters in splatoon get banned, many games now/in the last few years implement checking for cheaters so it's not really something.
    even if your system gets completely overrun with piracy, you can still do server side checks to make sure the client's data is legit.

DarthDub, TotalInsanity4 and Memoir like this.
  33. SnAQ
    Jan 20, 2018
  34. SG854
    This message by SG854 has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: Offtopic bickering.
    Jan 20, 2018
  35. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: Offtopic bickering.
    Jan 20, 2018
  36. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    Seinegald
    i understand this concern of yours , i had this issue with MK8 once on WiiU ,it was disgusting what happened.
    thankfully it happened only once but it ruined the game mood for me completely.

i dislike cheaters.
    (most of them are kids though,who want to mess with other people).

well let's hope they wont ruin the online gaming on the switch.

and about your behaviour, i think it is your right to write your complaints at times, but i think i saw you in many threads..
    i dont think it will become that bad for the switch in terms of all this hacking.

it will still do well , but cheaters do suck.

37. Hondyn

Hondyn GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I would very much like to know where these people take these estimated times out of, maybe a crystal ball, maybe something else? If you know heck about what you talking, just be quiet please. So many people updated their switch because of comment s like yours in the past saying the switch wouldnt be hacked in at least 3 years and stuff so please, if you have nothing concrete to talk about, back the hell off and stop influencing those who have no knowledge.

Last edited by Hondyn, Jan 20, 2018
    Vorde and RedHunter like this.
  38. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    If the same exploit works for 2.x and 4.x, and they release the exploit for 2.x, Nintendo will then patch it on 4.x. We don't want that to happen.

39. Gladius545
    This message by Gladius545 has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  40. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    -snip-

On a more related note, I'm really looking forward to seeing what's yet to come for the Switch. Homebrew has me excited!

DarthDub likes this.
  41. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    It's not about the exploit working so much as it is our ability to leverage it, and how Nintendo mitigates against the bug. Ya, maybe we could eventually because it may still be there but you need some way to poke it.

Don't take 4.x for granted and DO NOT upgrade beyond it. And in general if you want homebrew in the near term don't be on 4.x.

Take this report for instance, technically it's still a flaw. But it's been mitigates by burying it to the point of inaccessibility. When we say Nintendo is working hard to mitigate nVidia's stream of fuck ups, this is what we mean.

Last edited by V-Temp, Jan 20, 2018
    peteruk likes this.
  42. kitzuki
    This message by kitzuki has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: GBAtemp is not an imageboard.
    Jan 20, 2018
  43. XxShalevElimelechxX

XxShalevElimelechxX GBAtemp Fan

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    Well, SciresM himself has stated that the 2.x TZ exploit works on 3.x, but AFAIK 4.x only has privet userland exploit, and if you want to check for TZ exploits you need to have kernel access first.
    Maybe the exploit still works for 4.x, maybe not. We'll see. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    (Not that I care, I have 2 switches haha).

Last edited by XxShalevElimelechxX, Jan 20, 2018