jamais vu - a 1.0.0 TrustZone code execution exploit for the Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by SciresM, Jan 20, 2018.

1. SnAQ

SnAQ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 20, 2010
    I really, really hope that this doesn't lead to piracy in anyway.

And, have fun bricking your consoles, it'll be hilarious to watch all the tears from people.

Sent from my F8331 via Tapatalk

B4rtj4h likes this.
  2. FliP0x

FliP0x GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2016
    Croatia
    Great news!

Hopefully we'll have a cfw soon once all the writeups are done.

3. fisher6

fisher6 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2017
    United States
    You're in the wrong forum.

4. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

GBAtemp Patron
    VashTS is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    im happy some info was released. really excellent write up and great info.

dont forget that he just recently tweeted its pretty much the same on 1.x-3.x without any changes ;)

can't wait to install retroarch on my switch home menu!!

Fadi5555 likes this.
  5. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    The only thing that matters is if they can get us a proper backup solution before any other people do it.

6. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    I don't think we yet know if the 2.0 exploit also works on 4.x. If it does, the exploit needs to be kept secret until Nintendo patches it and it would be foolish to release information about it now.

Akuseru06 likes this.
  7. ploggy

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Same, I noticed they updated the Changes.md Today with "SWITCH: Initial Nintendo Switch port, based on libtransistor SDK" it's coming! :P

8. The main guy said it’s for up to 3.x only so think that’s a given at this point.

9. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    TX must be angry now right?

10. I expect they will be pulling some all nighters lol.

Rauliki and peteruk like this.
  11. god88

god88 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2014
    Italy
    Giardini, Sicilia, Italy
    Not a developer here, but I have a question.
    Wouldn't be possibile, in the future, to create a CFW like the ones Dark Alex made that took part of their features from FW 1.0 and 1.5 on the PSP in order to reenable vulnerabilities in later firmwares? Asking this because I've read that CFW may become a reality on newer firmwares and I find similarities with the PSP scene's early days (but maybe there aren't any). So to summarize my question: do you guys think it is possibile, one day, to create some sort of hybrid firmware like the first PSP CFWs were?

12. yardie
    This message by yardie has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  13. fire3element

fire3element GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2015
    United States
    I swear, if I close my eyes for even 5mins.... ( I've literally been up all night, and dozed off sit'n upright in my chair, just mere mins before this was posted. *heavy eyes*)

@SciresM - So the issue with CFW on 2.x+ is that you would need to coldboot -> sleep -> warmboot w/code execution, in order to begin the CFW. It is not a problem with losing access to the CFW when going to sleep, but rather that you would need to run the code exec on every reboot. Am I understanding the write-up correctly?

Last edited by fire3element, Jan 20, 2018
  14. owek1
    This message by owek1 has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  15. yardie
    This message by yardie has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 20, 2018, Reason: This is not the topic to discuss piracy.
    Jan 20, 2018
  16. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    The only thing I glad here is @SciresM and Co. had fucked team xecuter the money leechers once for good.

Fuck those money grabbers!

Vorde likes this.
  17. cholaloula

cholaloula Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2017
    France
    Well, as a lot of users, I prefer a soft (and free solution), but even paying for it (don't know how...) keep in mind an hardware mod has a price, and if it's the way TX team chose, well, they couldn't predict how fast develpment was going to be.
    In a sense, even if SciresM does what he does as a hobby, he doesn't want people to screw their consoles with a f*****d up solder job, he knows every bit of his hack and knows how harmful or harmless it can get, and maybe, I'm theorizing that maaaaaaaybe, having TX in the run for hax made progresses go as fast as it's going now.

So in a sense : Thanks TX team (and if anyone has to be fucked it's the tiny solderers for tiny motherboards ;))

Come on! almost a news everyday, I never saw that, and when homebrew will appear, it's going to be a real news fest!!! we may have the ultimate gaming handheld system right now, those who wish piracy will have piracy, but beside of that, having CFW so early opens the door to a PSP equivalent in terms of customization, control, and homebrews (I presume...I read about the PSP scene but never owned one).

Anyway, thanks for everyone involved in the scene, thanks to SciresM, and thanks for all the important names that are not daily quoted in gbatemp or Discord.

Let's share knowledge! it's the first scene I follow where you have so much details and encouraged to be involved in! When you see what Nintendo is going to do with its Nintendo labo, wait to see what the homebrew comunity will do, not just pongs clones and doom ports...

Last edited by cholaloula, Jan 20, 2018
  18. The people on 4.x don’t share that opinion.

WadsRUs, PICTOCHAT, DarthDub and 3 others like this.
  19. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Great news! Thanks to all those working on the scene. My 3.0 Switch will get dusted off soon I hope!

20. cholaloula

cholaloula Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2017
    France
    4.X users will have theirs sof solution, don't worry...

Last edited by cholaloula, Jan 20, 2018
    Hondyn likes this.
  21. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    Seinegald
    ey mate, i see you in alot of threads writing things like that 'no piracy' etc.

but i have the feeling if you are given the option to use homebrew (cfw mayhap) etc.
    i think you will be using them too.

and like someone else stated, lets not turn this thread into a piracy related thing.

congratz to the OP , he is doing too much for the community.
    thank you !

22. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    Maybe not for another 6 - 12 months, but it will come out eventually. It's all about patience

23. fire3element

fire3element GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2015
    United States
    Can we keep the noise level to a minimum in this thread please?
    I'd like to be able to discuss the technical aspects of such an accomplishment for once, instead of sifting through countless pages of bickering.

Thanks,
    - Fire3element

WadsRUs, Quantumcat and Madridi like this.